Revival of the SNES, would you jump in?

#11ifesfor(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2014 6:36:44 PM
diggyfresh posted...
It's already a thing:

http://hyperkin.com/retro/retron-3/retron-3-video-gaming-system-for-nes-snes-genesis-charcoal-gray.html

Revival of the system mean that Nintendo and 3rd party companies start developing back titles for it. I know this all in one machine exist, but it will play only what already existed.
#12Skill4ReelPosted 1/27/2014 6:39:14 PM
No. Mainly because I still have my SNES and games. I actually still have all of my old consoles, which is why I never buy virtual console games.
#13diggyfreshPosted 1/27/2014 6:44:11 PM
ifesfor posted...
diggyfresh posted...
It's already a thing:

http://hyperkin.com/retro/retron-3/retron-3-video-gaming-system-for-nes-snes-genesis-charcoal-gray.html

Revival of the system mean that Nintendo and 3rd party companies start developing back titles for it. I know this all in one machine exist, but it will play only what already existed.

Not happening because it's much easier to just make games for eShop and emulate them on Wii U. Take Shovel Knight or UnEpic as examples of SNES style games that are being made today.

The best you're going to get is a retron, and maybe homebrew development.
---
Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves. -Abraham Lincoln
#14GeminiX7Posted 1/27/2014 7:18:50 PM
People need to get over their nostalgia. It's just as poisonous to the gaming industry as the fixation on over-bloated AAA titles. I want new and fresh, not just the same premises and ideas(and hell games in general) but painted in faux-retro veneer for no reason than to tug at our nostalgia heartstrings in the hopes they'll reach our purse strings as well. The classics are just that because they were new and fresh when they were created, not because they exist in some untouchable, perfect, bubble.

We've had gems like that in recent history in all genres on all the gaming platforms, but we still seem way too focused on what we played as children instead and it leads to lazy developers just as much as trying to clone popular modern games does. Remember the past, yes, revisit them too, but please stop with the idolization of the older gens to the point where we don't demand anything new anymore. 20 years from now I don't want to play another homage to Super Mario Brothers 3. I don't want to play an indie game thats just a reskin of Super Metroid with my eventual children when they (possibbly) get into gaming. Even Kickstarter, which seemed like a new way for new ideas to get the support they deserve, seems to have just become "Take a classic game we already love, add pixel graphics or pseudo-nostalgic bit tune soundtrack, collect hundreds of thousands of dollars."

Meh, who am I kidding, I'd still possibly buy it assuming the entire SNES collection was available as well.
---
3DS FC: 0748-3100-6541
PSN: GeminiX7
#15ADHDguitarPosted 1/27/2014 7:20:08 PM
Hell no.

I'm totally okay with paying for digital SNES games, but this would be silly.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | i7-4770K | GTX 780 | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 | Corsair 850W| Cooler Master Full Tower | Seagate 3TB Drive | LG Blu-Ray Drive |
#16brutalhitsPosted 1/27/2014 7:27:23 PM
ZeroArchery posted...
People would still think they had the skill of a school child that games were harder then, but are just soooo easy today.

As if their skill isn't improving over 20+ years of video game experience. The Nintendo Cycle would just happen again like it has the last 30 years.

You're partially right. 3D games haven't really gotten easier. 2D games however have gotten loads easier..
#17DreTam2000Posted 1/27/2014 9:25:46 PM
I'd actually love that, but I'd love to see 16-bit games produced using today's console power and game engine fluidity (which would mean that an SNES couldn't run them; only a more powerful system could, despite the graphics [and sound] being 16-bit).

But then isn't that basically what DS and 3DS games are?