Nintendo: Wii U Zelda HD, Super Mario 3D World sell over 1m units

#31dnmtPosted 1/29/2014 6:22:43 AM
shaunme posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Lefty128k posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Lefty128k posted...
When third party game choices are limited of course people will crowd around first party titles.

I guess Halo sold because the Xbox's third party sucks.

Desperate rolls are desperate.

Halo was a launch title, so Xbox didn't really even have a third party at that time.

So what about Halo 2, aka the best selling Xbox game?

what about knack a new ip outselling mario an established series

please understand...defense

He's off the deep end.
#32shaunme(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2014 6:28:28 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
shaunme posted...
Learn to read.

I skipped over the rest because it was freaking stupid.

"well 3d world didn't exceed the lifetime sales of a wii game so its a flop. maybe its life time sales will beat it" What. The hell.

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/11/super-mario-3d-world-low-sales/

it had the lowest launch numbers of any 3d mario...thats a flop in comparison

please understand
---
Nintendo Hater http://i.imgur.com/ZpP0EsD.jpg plea se understand cat mario..please understand kranky kong..please understand....china
NNID:shaunme1
#33RiaanYsterPosted 1/29/2014 6:42:43 AM(edited)
There is a dang good reason Mario and Zelda and such games get very little price reduction over years. It's because other than almost every other type games, the Nintendo first party ones sell well over a long period of time. This means their initial sales won't bee too spectacular, but it still sells months even years afterwards and eventually you get to those sale figures of Mario Galaxy and such.

Edit: For example, a year after Galaxy came out, it still sold more than a million copies during the next november/december window one year after launch, and that's despite it's install base not increasing by that much percentage. Whereas one can expect the WiiUs installbase to increase with the big upcoming titles.
#34higgsboson1997Posted 1/29/2014 6:40:55 AM
Ok, to end the this debate on SM3DW and Knack for people who still don't realize how stupid and statistically inaccurate they are when comparing the two-

Knack sales LTD: 500k

SM3DW saes LTD: 1.65 million

(granted, it's from vgc, so it might not be completely accurate, but it won't be too far out either)

It was just in the first week of launch, when PS4 had all the hype, that Knack outsold SM3DW.
#35HermeticJusticePosted 1/29/2014 9:56:07 AM
higgsboson1997 posted...
Knack outsold SM3DW.

so you admit it?
#36DifferentialEquationPosted 1/29/2014 9:59:52 AM
From the article:

“While these titles each sold over one million units, the Wii U business as a whole was not able to recover fully, and the global sales of the Wii U hardware and software reached only 2.41 million and 15.96 million units respectively,” said the company.

---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#37Lefty128kPosted 1/29/2014 2:11:40 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Lefty128k posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Lefty128k posted...
When third party game choices are limited of course people will crowd around first party titles.

I guess Halo sold because the Xbox's third party sucks.

Desperate rolls are desperate.

Halo was a launch title, so Xbox didn't really even have a third party at that time.

So what about Halo 2, aka the best selling Xbox game?

What about Halo 2?

It sold well due to being outrageously popular. It fairly competed with third party offerings.

Only on Nintendo consoles is the third party shunned to make room for more first party sales. So you only really look ignorant trying to apply that argument to companies that actually have substantial third party libraries.

You especially looked ignorant trying to claim that Halo was up against third party titles when it was a launch title.
#38vattodevPosted 1/29/2014 3:04:34 PM
CyricsServant posted...
dnmt posted...
vattodev posted...
Good numbers. Confirm the obvious theory that most Wii U owners nowadays are really Nintendo fans. Now they need to make moves to get back wii fans.

People bought the Wii because of its cheap price and novel gimmick. This time around the gimmick isn't so novel, the price isn't so cheap and the name is so horrid that most people still think it's a peripheral for the original Wii rather than a completely new console. Also Wii fans have mainly moved on to their smartphones.

Yeah, Nintendo already made moves to get Wii owners back with a tablet-like controller, the "Wii" branding, and software that seems aimed specifically at them (e.g. Nintendoland, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Wii Sports U, etc.). So far, it isn't working.

In my opinion, Nintendo should start focusing more on more traditional gamers. Bringing their series staples for the Nintendo fans who want to play the same franchises every gen is a good start. Bringing semi-original content like X, Bayonetta 2, and SMT v. FE is better. They need to continue down that path.

Unfortunately, with third parties getting cold feet, it might be too late to reverse their fortunes with this particular system. HD development is time consuming, after all.

Let's be realistic here: Smash Bros Brawl sold 10million units. That's how big Nintendo fanbase is. Maybe 15 million if you take out people that didn't care for Brawl because melee was better or because they don't like Smash. The rest of the wii owners don't care for Nintendo at all. 10 million is all they have if they only focus on hardcore Nintendo gamers. So despite the fact that I want hardcore games, they are in a position that they need to target whatever they can to improve sales. Not keep going back to the audience that they are already pleasing.
Are you unsatisfied with Nintendo's hardcore releases? DKC:TF, SM3DW, Kart, Bayo, X, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Pikmin 3, W101, Zelda WW, Sonic LW. That's a lot of strong titles and I'm pretty sure that these will all be released in the time span of one and a half year if you remember that Pikmin 3 was released in july.
The true hardcore move that Nintendo tried failed when the 3rd party devs decided to not support the Wii U anymore. We are going to be left with Nintendo's IPs, indies (tons!) and whatever cool casual game they develop. That's all Nintendo can do for us, unfortunately. But they NEED to increase the install base.
#39CyricsServantPosted 1/30/2014 6:10:36 AM
vattodev posted...
Let's be realistic here: Smash Bros Brawl sold 10million units. That's how big Nintendo fanbase is. Maybe 15 million if you take out people that didn't care for Brawl because melee was better or because they don't like Smash. The rest of the wii owners don't care for Nintendo at all. 10 million is all they have if they only focus on hardcore Nintendo gamers. So despite the fact that I want hardcore games, they are in a position that they need to target whatever they can to improve sales. Not keep going back to the audience that they are already pleasing.
Are you unsatisfied with Nintendo's hardcore releases? DKC:TF, SM3DW, Kart, Bayo, X, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Pikmin 3, W101, Zelda WW, Sonic LW. That's a lot of strong titles and I'm pretty sure that these will all be released in the time span of one and a half year if you remember that Pikmin 3 was released in july.
The true hardcore move that Nintendo tried failed when the 3rd party devs decided to not support the Wii U anymore. We are going to be left with Nintendo's IPs, indies (tons!) and whatever cool casual game they develop. That's all Nintendo can do for us, unfortunately. But they NEED to increase the install base.

Here's the thing though. Even if that 15 million is an accurate description of the Nintendo fanbase's size, and I don't think it is as that seems like a very conservative number to me, Nintendo has only managed to capture roughly a third of that audience.

Nintendo has to do more to cater to gamers like me who are on the fence. I owned a Wii GC, N64, NES, and various Nintendo handhelds, and I've always been at least somewhat satisfied with my purchases, but I still haven't been convinced a Wii U is worth $300.

You ask me if I'm unsatisfied with Nintendo's hardcore releases and the answer is yes, very much so. I don't have any interest in HD ports or remakes; I haven't but any of the several dozen released on Sony's systems either, with the exception of of a God of War PSP compilation (which I ended up not liking). The only other games on the system I'm even remotely interested in are the Mario games (a franchise which I've played to death) and the Wonderful 101. That's it. Are there game announcements that I'm interested in? Sure! But some of those games are months, even years out . . . and third party announcements have all but dried up.

Nintendo has made huge efforts to appeal to the non-traditional Wii audience: Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club, Wii Karaoke U, Wii Fit U, etc . . . all the "casual" games that sold obscene numbers on the Wii have already gotten their Wii U entries . . . but the new audience hasn't followed. I think it's time Nintendo focused once again on more traditional gamers.
#40Bahamut_10thPosted 1/30/2014 7:08:59 AM
The price is still cheap.

300 dollars NOW is about as much as 250 back at the time Wii was new.
---
What a horrible night to have a grock raid.
Got Dillon's Rolling Western? Help make the game's board more active!