It's crazy that all the problems the wii u is facing stems from it's name.

#1Ace_SteelPosted 2/1/2014 9:50:46 PM
If Nintendo called it the wii 2 or anything else the casual market wouldn't have confused the wii u as a wii add-on. What the hell was Nintendo thinking when they came up with that name?
#2LMwest09Posted 2/1/2014 10:17:01 PM
No it doesn't. The people who have a problem with the name are the same people who aren't interested in the console(s) at all. Who gets confused when Apple releases new versions of one model iPhone? Nobody because the people who want it know and the people who don't just don't care to know.

Growing up my parents thought everything was a Nintendo, and they still think a game disc should be able to go into any console much like a DVD player and play. No amount of name changing, advertising, marketing, or demoing will change that. The only problem Nintendo has right now is getting games out. Once they start getting a steady stream, sales will pick up. Release like a leaky faucet, and the drip makes a small puddle.
#3YoyokuKOPosted 2/1/2014 10:18:30 PM
Xbone doesn't exits
#4Ace_Steel(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 10:21:05 PM
There's nothing confusing about the iphone's name.
#5Valor_PhoenixPosted 2/1/2014 10:40:01 PM
The problem is that the Wii was a failure, or more correctly, a fad.

Wii sales and interest in Nintendo consoles was dead when the WiiU was announced to the sound of crickets.

100 million people bought Wii's. 5 million thought they were good game consoles and bought Wii U's.

That's it in a nutshell.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#6BillysanPosted 2/2/2014 5:15:14 AM
People had an issue with 3DS's name as well. Now it's a non issue.

I don't think the name is a huge issue right now.

Honestly I think a lot of the stigma last holiday season was because both XBox One and PS4 was released.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291
#7rockyminPosted 2/2/2014 5:27:48 AM
Valor_Phoenix posted...

Wii sales and interest in Nintendo consoles was dead when the WiiU was announced to the sound of crickets.

100 million people bought Wii's. 5 million are Nintendo fans who buy their consoles at launch every gen and bought Wii U's.

That's it in a nutshell.

Fixed that for ya.
---
"It's funny how dumb you are" -Bill Cipher
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile
#8DeathSoul2000Posted 2/2/2014 5:56:17 AM
rockymin posted...
Valor_Phoenix posted...

100 million people bought Wii's. 5 million thought they were good game consoles and bought Wii U's.

That's it in a nutshell.

Fixed that for ya.

Can't fix what isn't broken.
#9cris1ussenPosted 2/2/2014 8:34:27 AM(edited)
Billysan posted...
People had an issue with 3DS's name as well. Now it's a non issue.

I don't think the name is a huge issue right now.

Honestly I think a lot of the stigma last holiday season was because both XBox One and PS4 was released.

There is a difference easily explained:

Letters = Add-ons
Numbers or Words = New console

The 3DS had problem with the name but was for a short time since well it has a number so people can catch the name, also not to mention that is portable, normally in the portable device market, this type of confusing names happen all the time (but all are fixed quickly)

WiiU in other hand has a stupid letter that doesn't mean anything and even more sharing the SAME NAME of it predecessor, it can be conufuse, even more because we are talking in the CONSOLE market, where if a console has a new number/word = new console but if has a letter (alone or plus with a number) = Add-on

take a example:

Consoles:

PlayStation: One, 2, 3, 4
Xbox: original (just name), 360, One
Nintendo: original (just name), Super, 64, GameCube, Wii
Sega: Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast
Atari: 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar

Add-on to consoles:

Sega: Genenis CD, Genesis 32X
Atari: Jaguar CD
Nintendo: NES SAT, NES CD unit, 64DD, Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player (the only execeptions but the names are pretty self explanatory)

So how sounds the "WiiU", as a console or add-on?
---
3DS Code: 1547-5436-7425, Name: Cristian
AC:NL Dream Code: 4800-2167-4480
#10EndgamePosted 2/2/2014 8:01:15 AM
Xbox One's name is more confusing, but everyone knows what it is: on the path to outselling Wii U's lifetime total within the next few months

stop trying to say that people aren't buying Wii U because they are stupid, they know what it is, THEY JUST DON'T ****ING WANT IT

also, we have no confirmation that Wii U actually broke 5 million yet, Nintendo didn't tell us its December sales, most likely out of shame
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert