Star Fox Could Be a Huge Seller

#1Lupinus7Posted 2/1/2014 11:08:35 PM
Nintendo is selling this franchise short. The last Star Fox RAIL SHOOTER sold over 4 million units on the N64, more than the original Star Fox on SNES, which had twice the install base. I think that if Nintendo revived this franchise and gave it the respect it deserves, than it would surprise them with how well it sells.

Star Fox lost its relevance when Nintendo made it into an adventure They took a franchise that had a lot of selling power and potential, pulled some major bull**** and turned it into a Zelda clone, and then were surprised that it was not selling well as before. It seems like they grossly mismanaged the franchise, as it could have been a major asset to them, especially now that the Wii U needs games.

Think about it, the Wii U lacks shooters, and this could fill the void and possibly attract a new crowd. Kid Icarus Uprising sold over 1 million units, and it had mixed reviews. Obviously, Rail Shooters have the potential to be huge sellers, but nobody seems willing to give the genre a chance. The last good one I remember was Sin and Punishment, but that game was too hardcore and niche to appeal to most consumers.

TL;DR: If Ninty revived Star Fox, than they would have a monopoly on both Platformers and Rail Shooters, two genres that have the potential to sell extremely well, and don't appear on other platforms as much as they used to.
#2HermeticJusticePosted 2/1/2014 11:10:49 PM
Trolls could stop coming to the Wii U boards
---
fuzzy pickles
#3Lupinus7(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 11:22:55 PM
*Bump* Does nobody else think that this franchise has a lot of potential? Or did the typo in my first post scare everybody off? :P
#4rindainPosted 2/1/2014 11:24:34 PM
What Nintendo has done (or not done) with the Star Fox IP is criminal.

It could be gigantic if done right. Star Fox 64 multiplayer gave me some of the very best gaming memories of my childhood.
#5habsalltheway33Posted 2/1/2014 11:37:22 PM
Definitely does. Star Fox Assault's multiplayer was great.
#6Savra104Posted 2/1/2014 11:41:21 PM
StarFox seems like it would be best done as a $30 eShop exclusive and/or a game with huge focus on online combat. Hell, SF643D had pretty good multiplayer from what I hear.

Problem is, Nintendo is insanely reluctant to do the whole online thing, so StarFox's potential kinda falls flat.

I also think there's some potential for Co-op in there...
#7bluesplus1Posted 2/1/2014 11:42:53 PM
You know what Nintendo needs?

Starfox, with blackjack and hookers.
---
"If you complain about the existence of entertainment that you don't have to consume, you're probably an ass****." - Andrew Eisen
#8BaconPancakesPosted 2/1/2014 11:46:43 PM
I honestly think that it would do well, but it wouldn't move systems as much as we want.
---
PS3 - Matface. Wii U - SnoringSnorlax. X360 - xTourniqueTx.
#9xaine866Posted 2/1/2014 11:54:02 PM
As long as it's not a rehash of 64, I think the series has potential for something amazing. I just feel like the people that only want a railshooter like SF64 only want it for nostalgia, and don't realize that rail-shooters are not popular as they used to be, but at the same time, they hate and fear change (see Assault). It'll be hard for Nintendo to decide what they want to do with this series without upsetting fans.
---
You don't need a reason to help people.
#10BaconPancakesPosted 2/1/2014 11:58:46 PM
xaine866 posted...
As long as it's not a rehash of 64, I think the series has potential for something amazing. I just feel like the people that only want a railshooter like SF64 only want it for nostalgia, and don't realize that rail-shooters are not popular as they used to be, but at the same time, they hate and fear change (see Assault). It'll be hard for Nintendo to decide what they want to do with this series without upsetting fans.

Why not an RPG with space travel/combat?
---
PS3 - Matface. Wii U - SnoringSnorlax. X360 - xTourniqueTx.