Star Fox Could Be a Huge Seller

#21sharinaginPosted 2/2/2014 9:33:06 AM
Part of the problem with Star Fox is that as fun as it is, those games take like 45 minutes to beat. Sure there are different paths to take but they don't really offering anything hugely divergent in terms of gameplay. Playing SF64 when it was new was great, and I probably beat it 9-10 times. But that's still not very much time.

I think it'd be great as an eShop game and priced accordingly, but I couldn't see paying full retail price for a traditional Star Fox game ever again, and I don't really otherwise care for the universe (ie Star Fox Adventures).
---
Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity.
#22Lupinus7(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 9:39:58 AM
sharinagin posted...
Part of the problem with Star Fox is that as fun as it is, those games take like 45 minutes to beat. Sure there are different paths to take but they don't really offering anything hugely divergent in terms of gameplay. Playing SF64 when it was new was great, and I probably beat it 9-10 times. But that's still not very much time.

I think it'd be great as an eShop game and priced accordingly, but I couldn't see paying full retail price for a traditional Star Fox game ever again, and I don't really otherwise care for the universe (ie Star Fox Adventures).

That's why they would have to add multiplayer modes, such as deathmatch or a horde mode, in order to make it replayable as hell. Its a shooter, they aren't expected to have a long campaign unless its an open world or story based game. Nintendo is pushing the Wii U as an offline co-op machine, so Star Fox would easily fit the bill with a horde mode, not to mention it would definitely draw a crowd if done correctly.
#23sharinaginPosted 2/2/2014 9:45:58 AM
A well done horde/endless mode could definitely be fun, but I never really like any of the attempts at death match that Star Fox did personally. As for it being a shooter and drawing in a larger crowd, it really isn't that type of shooter. It's a railshooter which which is a pretty niche crowd and probably won't sell a sizable number of systems. Selling more games is always a good thing though.
---
Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity.
#24Lupinus7(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 9:56:13 AM
sharinagin posted...
A well done horde/endless mode could definitely be fun, but I never really like any of the attempts at death match that Star Fox did personally. As for it being a shooter and drawing in a larger crowd, it really isn't that type of shooter. It's a railshooter which which is a pretty niche crowd and probably won't sell a sizable number of systems. Selling more games is always a good thing though.

My whole point is that rail shooters are not as niche as people think they are. Kid Icarus: Uprising is a rail shooter that got very mixed reviews, but still sold over a million units. The last Star Fox rail shooter on a console sold 4 million units. If handled properly, Star Fox could break out of its niche. And if it had a horde mode, that would appeal to people of all ages. Children don't have a concept of "niche", they just see a game where you fly a ship and shoot down bad guys. I don't know what gamer would turn down a chance to play a horde mode space shooter.
#25sharinaginPosted 2/2/2014 9:58:50 AM
Kid Icarus sold well because it was a game that had a lot of hype going for it and was a long awaited Nintendo game for the 3DS after a long period of mediocre game selection.
---
#26mjc0961Posted 2/2/2014 10:07:07 AM
Natureboy99 posted...
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
Every Star Fox topic highlights the key issue this franchise has: fans are all over the place. Half the people say build on Assault, half the people say make it just like 64.

If the game is similar to 64 it'll only have a limited appeal. Modern gamers honestly just aren't too interested in a game that is purely on-rails shooter. There's only so much you can do with that setup. If the game is similar to Assault, well have a better chance for interesting gameplay ideas, but the 64 purists will complain.

Honestly I think Assault and Command both did some great things that should carry on moving forward (Adventures was great, but very unusual for the series). Improved on-foot missions and multiplayer from Assault combined with the branching story and varied different playable characters from Command could make for a great game. 64 is great but the series expanded beyond that and shouldn't be limited so much.

The funny thing is, Sony is basically making what every star fox fan wants. Its a little known franchise called ratchet and clank. It has rail shooting, plus third person action adventure. Its even on Vita. Oh and they did F-Zero too. Its called wipeout. Both franchises are great, and judging by the state of Nintendo's devs, they won't be topping these franchises any time soon.

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Ratchet and Clank is completely different from Star Fox. And off the top of my head, only one game had rail shooting and it was 2-3 very brief segments.

Not sure why you brought up Vita, but it only has one game on Vita and the port is so poor that it's not worth playing. Get the PS3 version.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#27sharinaginPosted 2/2/2014 10:13:27 AM
Looking at a wider view of rail shooters, the only ones that even manage to crack more than 500,000 sales world wide are the Resident Evil games, and I think that has a lot to do with them being under the Resident Evil brand more than the quality of the games or the appeal of railshooters.

Maybe there's some huge railshooter series that I'm missing, but sales for them tend to not be anywhere near mindblowing.
---
#28ZvolTxPosted 2/2/2014 10:17:09 AM
I don't like rail shooters. In-fact, I am pretty sure a LOT of people in this day and age don't like them either.
---
President of the Zelda Wii U Board
http://i.imgur.com/g1SjbEw.jpg
#29Lord_FroodPosted 2/2/2014 10:53:51 AM
xaine866 posted...
As long as it's not a rehash of 64, I think the series has potential for something amazing. I just feel like the people that only want a railshooter like SF64 only want it for nostalgia, and don't realize that rail-shooters are not popular as they used to be, but at the same time, they hate and fear change (see Assault). It'll be hard for Nintendo to decide what they want to do with this series without upsetting fans.

I feel like that they need a new Assault that played as smoothly as 64. Revamp the on-foot controls, and give us 4v4 online matches or something cool like that.
---
Unless I state otherwise, what I say is opinion when it comes to discussing the quality of games.
#30FuzzyJelloPosted 2/2/2014 5:19:47 PM
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
Every Star Fox topic highlights the key issue this franchise has: fans are all over the place. Half the people say build on Assault, half the people say make it just like 64.

And I would hope folks can shut up and take either after what, 8 years?