Xenoblade Chronicles - hot trash on an HDTV?

#11SolisPosted 2/2/2014 6:03:02 AM
tErD_LiNk posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
He said that's what it looks like on his TV. I doubt he's lying. It's incredibly easy to hook it up to your TV -__-

Then he still deserves to be called out for being deliberately misleading. TC was asking how Xenoblade looks in SD played on Wii U.

BTW I don't even think that's a Dolphin shot anymore since there's no UI or anything. It's probably a promotional bullshot released by Monolith.

The HUD can be disabled even in the retail copy, just set all the display settings to off in the options menu.

http://nov.imghost.us/gqyZ.jpg
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#12WaywardBiscuitPosted 2/2/2014 6:05:06 AM
Solis posted...
tErD_LiNk posted...
He said that's what it looks like on his TV. I doubt he's lying. It's incredibly easy to hook it up to your TV -__-

Then he still deserves to be called out for being deliberately misleading. TC was asking how Xenoblade looks in SD played on Wii U.

BTW I don't even think that's a Dolphin shot anymore since there's no UI or anything. It's probably a promotional bullshot released by Monolith.

The HUD can be disabled even in the retail copy, just set all the display settings to off in the options menu.

http://nov.imghost.us/gqyZ.jpg

This is true but there is no way that it looks lime it did in that pic on a hdtv when played on the wii.
---
George Likes Spicy Chicken
#13masa8munePosted 2/2/2014 6:37:33 AM(edited)
I have an HD TV and an component cable maybe that helps? Or I should try and take a picture of my Xenoblade on TV.

Or maybe I just forgot what it looks like because honestly that's how It look's on my TV.

besides this is dolphin, notice how the dolphin XB characters are much more sharper?
http://www.abload.de/img/sx4p01-321d08.jpg
---
Hyped for: Persona 5, X,Tales of xillia 2 and Zestiria, SSB4.
My 3DS FC: 5198 - 3792 - 7885 feel free to add me
#14WaywardBiscuitPosted 2/2/2014 6:46:26 AM
masa8mune posted...
I have an HD TV and an component cable maybe that helps? Or I should try and take a picture of my Xenoblade on TV.

Or maybe I just forgot what it looks like because honestly that's how It look's on my TV.

besides this is dolphin, notice how the dolphin XB characters are much more sharper?

I also have componet cables for my wii and have tried it on multiple led, plasma and crt tv's and there is no way your first picture is from xenoblade using the wii on a hdtv. It just doesnt look like that when it is on a hdtv.
---
George Likes Spicy Chicken
#15nonexistingheroPosted 2/2/2014 6:54:46 AM
WaywardBiscuit posted...
Billysan posted...
I thought Xenoblade looked good on my 720p TV. Same for most other Wii games.

Maybe it looks worse on a 1080p set...which is why I don't go with 1080p for my console gaming TV.

Most of everything is in 720p and 480p looks pretty good on a 720p display.

The main problem people have when they say Xenoblade looks like crap is that they come from a 360 or PS3, then go play Xenoblade and say it looks like crap before even putting in the time to get used to it. It's like someone playing Dark Souls for 5 minutes and saying it plays like crap.

You dont have to get use to a sd game looking bad on a hd tv. Some tvs look better displaying sd content then others and xenoblade just looked terrible on most of my tv's at hour 1 and hour 80 of playtime, no amount of getting use to it would change that

You misunderstand. I'm talking about adjusting the mindset. The initial impression is 'terrible' because he's used to so many games that feature technically impressive graphics. This means he'd need some time to look past technical prowess to see that Xenoblade's graphics can be beautiful in a completely different way. The lively world, the impressive scale, the design of the areas, etc.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#16CyricsServantPosted 2/2/2014 6:55:29 AM
Legend053180 posted...
So, does XBC look bad too? And if so, what would be your HD (360 or PS3) alternative for my next JRPG? NNK and Valkyria Chronicles are pretty much all I've played this gen.

I thought it looked pretty damn good on an HDTV . . . probably the best looking Wii game besides maybe Fragile Dreams. There might be some very minor jaggies with the character models, but the beautiful, sprawling environments are pretty much unscathed.

NNK and Valkyria Chronicles are excellent JRPGs, and I'd go as far as to say VC is the best we got last gen. There are other good PS3/360 ones out there though. I'd suggest looking at any of the following:

Demon's Souls (PS3) (. . . if you consider it a JRPG. One of the best games I've played all gen)
Dark Souls (PS3/360) (. . . if you consider it a JRPG. Possibly my favorite game last gen excluding VC)
Nier (PS3/360 (. . . if you consider it a JRPG. Excellent, heart-wrenching story with some very interesting experiments involving camera angles and gameplay)
Tales of Graces F (PS3) (probably my favorite Tales game this gen)
Tales of Xillia (PS3)
Tales of Vesperia (360) (it's decent. Graces F and Xillia are better)
Lost Odyssey (360 (. . . a bit overrated, but sort of like a Japanese take on Planescape: Torment. It's worth playing)

Also I'd keep my eyes peeled for Persona 5 later this year.

Avoid like the plague the following games:

Star Ocean 4 (PS3/360) (Will cause long-term brain damage)
Enchanted Arms (PS3/360) (Uninspired, forgettable)
Atelier ______ (PS3) (terrible games that are embarrassing to play. Burn them with fire)
The Last Remnant (360/PC) (I actually LIKE this game . . . quite a bit . . . it's a bit too esoteric in its game design to recommend though)
#17tErD_LiNkPosted 2/2/2014 6:58:04 AM
masa8mune posted...

The shot you posted before is HD and has a lot of AA applied. On Wii/Wii U it's SD with no AA.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#18sjc1279Posted 2/2/2014 8:13:34 AM
It looks like a ps2 game on hdtv.
---
PS4 upgrade to 1TB
Xbox One Day One Edition 500GB
#19NovaLevossidaPosted 2/2/2014 8:14:59 AM
sjc1279 posted...
It looks like a ps2 game on hdtv.

That was my experience with it and The Last Story when I tried them out. They looked as terrible as Final Fantasy 12 does on an HDTV. I'd imagine they look a lot better on an older TV.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#20Burning_BreezePosted 2/2/2014 10:12:53 AM
You could always dock the gamepad and use it as your screen. I actually prefer playing single-player Wii games this way, because the small size and native resolution make everything look much nicer to me.
---
Our divided brothers we slay