Eurogamer: Wii U is our new Dreamcast

#1tErD_LiNkPosted 2/2/2014 5:36:09 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-01-savour-the-wii-u-and-vita-theyre-our-new-dreamcasts

The Wii U, presently, is a failure, and a sizeable one at that. Nintendo, like Sega before it, took a gamble in trying to get the jump on a generation, but despite both consoles being quick off the blocks by the time Sony and Microsoft arrived, third-party support had evaporated and the head-start was for nowt.

Even in its darkest hour the Dreamcast was backed by a loyal chorus of supporters, yet the WiI U's patronage has been a little more muted.

It doesn't help that the Wii U's one of Nintendo's more curious toys too, a machine of half-formed ideas and unfulfilled promise. But, like the Dreamcast before it, it's a unique proposition, and thanks to its less than stellar reception, it'll likely always remain that way.

---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 2/2/2014 5:37:14 AM
Can't come up with your own material so you have to copy others huh?
#3WaywardBiscuitPosted 2/2/2014 5:42:47 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...

I cant disagree with what was said, the question is how and can nintendo change the outlook of their system while also changing the public perception. And are they willing to make those changes or will they reman stubborn and out of touch with the general gaming community
---
George Likes Spicy Chicken
#4tErD_LiNk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 5:43:10 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...

It's an article I found interesting. Take your butthurt somewhere else if you can't handle it.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#5squatch22Posted 2/2/2014 5:47:37 AM
Way to only pick the negative comments ...

"At a time when games are striving hard for high-brow validation, Nintendo's still defiantly and proudly making toys. There's no grand allegory for the human condition on Puffrod Peaks, and no stark peek into the heart of darkness atop Mount Must Dash: there's just peerless craft, and ingenious engineering."

"Miiverse remains one of gaming's most open-armed and delightful communities, and while the GamePad may have struggled to justify its existence, the few times it has found its purpose the results have been breathtaking. NintendoLand played at full tilt, with four players pitched against one hoarding that infamous second screen, is an experience that deserves to sit alongside the Dreamcast's Samba de Amigo or Chu Chu Rocket as an eccentric classic for the ages."

"The Vita and Wii U might still struggle, but if you're into the business of enjoying games rather than just dry business, it's worth ignoring the headlines, and instead embracing two future cult classics in the making."
---
NNID: Nin10do-1983 PSN: squatch1983
Welcome to DoubleStandardsFAQs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpwxF2L37M8
#6Oni_TaedoPosted 2/2/2014 5:49:47 AM
tErD_LiNk posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...

It's an article I found interesting. Take your butthurt somewhere else if you can't handle it.

But you only found it interesting because it was negative, and not because it was a particularly well written article.

You know, I'm fairly sure Hitler would have found pro-Nazi propaganda pretty fascinating, because it's trying to promote his personal beliefs and agenda.
---
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVGViking
#7tErD_LiNk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 5:54:14 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
tErD_LiNk posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...

But you only found it interesting because it was negative, and not because it was a particularly well written article.

You know, I'm fairly sure Hitler would have found pro-Nazi propaganda pretty fascinating, because it's trying to promote his personal beliefs and agenda.

And you don't have anything worthwhile to add here, so you just came here to whine and show the world how butthurt you are.
---
-darkjedilink
#8RsilensRPosted 2/2/2014 6:05:05 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
tErD_LiNk posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...

You know what I find pretty interesting? How people bring Nazism to videogame discussions.

Because nothing makes a better point on how the thread sucks than comparing TC to Hitler. smh
---
The facts expressed in this post belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is yours to draw.
#9NovaLevossidaPosted 2/2/2014 6:06:49 AM
RsilensR posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...
tErD_LiNk posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...

You know what I find pretty interesting? How people bring Nazism to videogame discussions.

Because nothing makes a better point on how the thread sucks than comparing TC to Hitler. smh

Pretty much. I was surprised at how quickly someone resorted to a Nazi comparison.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#10samuraigaidenPosted 2/2/2014 6:06:49 AM
There is a difference.

The Dreamcast's life cycle lasted two years and a half, and it got at least 6 relevant JRPGs (Skies of Arcadia, Record of Lodoss War, Grandia II, Phantasy Star Online, Time Stalkers, Elemental Gimmick Gear).

The Wii U is 1 year and a month old and it has no JRPGs.

That's 1,5 more JRPGs per semester on the Dreamcast. Thanks, Iwata!