Is 3rd Party support on Wii U the worst it's ever been for Nintendo?

#1iKhan88Posted 2/2/2014 9:52:01 AM(edited)
Think about it, the GC and Wii both got some high profile releases, exclusives, and kids/casual games.

The only one of those the Wii U is getting is a few high profile releases like COD and Assassins Creed.

Most kids and casual games are still going on the Wii, and there aren't any 3rd party published exclusives coming to Wii U.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#2HayashiTakaraPosted 2/2/2014 9:50:00 AM
The last time Nintendo had decent to strong 3rd party support was the SNES. /topic.
#3bountyhunter85Posted 2/2/2014 9:50:58 AM
The N64 had pretty bad third party support.
---
NNID & PSN: Benzuko XBL: Benzuko1985
3DS: 4081 5484 0944
#4CyricsServantPosted 2/2/2014 9:51:26 AM
I wasn't blown away by the 3rd party support during the N64's generation . . . but yeah, things are pretty dire right now.
#5CranberryPSOPosted 2/2/2014 9:52:45 AM
For 3rd party support I think the N64 is the worst it's ever been. What saved the N64 is that Nintendo came out with some of their best 1st party titles. Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time could not have come at a better time for Nintendo.

The 3rd party titles the N64 did get though were pretty good. Especially the Star Wars ones. Rouge Squadron and Shadows of the Empire were quite good. Goldeneye was 3rd party too wasn't it? I never played that one but it was really popular at the time. Oh, let's just pretend Superman 64 doesn't exit though...
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#6iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 9:53:17 AM
bountyhunter85 posted...
The N64 had pretty bad third party support.

Not this bad. It still got sports games, movie games, and some exclusives like Rush.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#7FayeLadyPosted 2/2/2014 9:53:32 AM
In general, yes.
I can see an argument for western games being under represented on the GC and Japanese games being under represented on the N64, but both made it up elsewhere. The Wii U is undeserved by both and isn't really killing it anywhere else to make up for that.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#8HayashiTakaraPosted 2/2/2014 10:03:44 AM
Can you people at least wait till the end of the Wii U's life cycle to compare the games? I mean seriously the N64 had like no games for like a year and half with mostly only Mario 64 supporting it.

Nintendo has been supporting their home consoles with a few sprinkles of 3rd party exclusive gems here and there, for the last 3 generations. Just deal with it.
#9iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 10:08:39 AM
HayashiTakara posted...
Can you people at least wait till the end of the Wii U's life cycle to compare the games? I mean seriously the N64 had like no games for like a year and half with mostly only Mario 64 supporting it.

Nintendo has been supporting their home consoles with a few sprinkles of 3rd party exclusive gems here and there, for the last 3 generations. Just deal with it.

There's a reason the topic title is a question. I obviously am not fully aware of the release schedule for every Nintendo console.

But please elaborate on how the N64 had worse 3rd party support a year in. I know for a fact that it got all of the EA sports games, as I own multiple. It also got other sports franchises, as I have non EA-football games as well.
---
#10AmmonitidaPosted 2/2/2014 10:12:33 AM
CranberryPSO posted...
For 3rd party support I think the N64 is the worst it's ever been. What saved the N64 is that Nintendo came out with some of their best 1st party titles. Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time could not have come at a better time for Nintendo.

The 3rd party titles the N64 did get though were pretty good. Especially the Star Wars ones. Rouge Squadron and Shadows of the Empire were quite good. Goldeneye was 3rd party too wasn't it? I never played that one but it was really popular at the time. Oh, let's just pretend Superman 64 doesn't exit though...

Rare provided many N64 hits as a 2nd party developer (Perfect Dark, Conker) while Iguana Entertainment provided the successful Turok series. You also had full support from 3rd party ID software (Doom 64, Hexen 64, and Quake 1 and 2), Midway, EA and to some extent Psygnosis (Wipeout and Desruction Derby). What was lacking was Namco support (Sony had it almost exclusively), Square support and Capcom support. All in all, it had good support from developers that were not Nintendo, and they did produce some really good games.