Is 3rd Party support on Wii U the worst it's ever been for Nintendo?

#11FayeLadyPosted 2/2/2014 9:16:25 AM
The first year of n64 support bought:

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps
GoldenEye 007 (2nd party)
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Mortal Kombat 4

In addition to first party stuff like:

Mario 64
Mario Kart
Diddy Kong Racing
Starfox 64

The most important thing is that third parties were bringing games that actually mattered to people in the west.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#12CranberryPSOPosted 2/2/2014 9:18:22 AM
That's a good point. I forgot about those ones.

Ammonitida posted...
CranberryPSO posted...
For 3rd party support I think the N64 is the worst it's ever been. What saved the N64 is that Nintendo came out with some of their best 1st party titles. Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time could not have come at a better time for Nintendo.

The 3rd party titles the N64 did get though were pretty good. Especially the Star Wars ones. Rouge Squadron and Shadows of the Empire were quite good. Goldeneye was 3rd party too wasn't it? I never played that one but it was really popular at the time. Oh, let's just pretend Superman 64 doesn't exit though...

Rare provided many N64 hits as a 2nd party developer (Perfect Dark, Conker) while Iguana Entertainment provided the successful Turok series. You also had full support from 3rd party ID software (Doom 64, Hexen 64, and Quake 1 and 2), Midway, EA and to some extent Psygnosis (Wipeout and Desruction Derby). What was lacking was Namco support (Sony had it almost exclusively), Square support and Capcom support. All in all, it had good support from developers that were not Nintendo, and they did produce some really good games.

---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#13AmmonitidaPosted 2/2/2014 9:21:58 AM
HayashiTakara posted...
Can you people at least wait till the end of the Wii U's life cycle to compare the games? I mean seriously the N64 had like no games for like a year and half with mostly only Mario 64 supporting it.

Nintendo has been supporting their home consoles with a few sprinkles of 3rd party exclusive gems here and there, for the last 3 generations. Just deal with it.

That's true for the launch (September 96), but before the year was up, it had support from Midway Lucas and Rare (MK Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, and Killer Instinct Gold). For 1997, the Nintendo 64 saw all kinds of 3rd and 2nd party support, from Turok to Goldeneye. It most certainly did better than Wii U in its first year and a half.
#14nouseravailablePosted 2/2/2014 9:23:21 AM
FayeLady posted...

Blast Corps
Mortal Kombat 4

Mario 64
Mario Kart
Diddy Kong Racing
Starfox 64

The most important thing is that third parties were bringing games that actually mattered to people in the west.

Blast Corps was rareware tho. Diddy Kong Racing wasnt in the first year either. There were stuff like Pilot Wings and Wave Race. I also remmber Doom, Hexen and Duke Nukem being released early. Mortal Kombat 4 also came ou pretty late, you are probably mistaking it with Trilogy.
---
NP: A Link Between Worlds and Brutal Legends.
3DS: 0619-3048-6154 (add me for friend safari)
#15MechaKoopa5000Posted 2/2/2014 9:24:35 AM
Yes. The Wii U is indisputably the worst 3rd party has ever been for Nintendo. It honestly makes the N64 and Gamecube look like they were flooding with games in comparison. Wii U makes N64 look like SNES.
---
http://i.imgur.com/c1Mv4ml.jpg
#16CranberryPSOPosted 2/2/2014 10:13:34 AM
This topic has convinced me that N64 3rd party support wasn't as bad as is commonly stated on this board.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#17shoggothsnackPosted 2/2/2014 10:16:28 AM
nouseravailable posted...
FayeLady posted...

Blast Corps
Mortal Kombat 4

Mario 64
Mario Kart
Diddy Kong Racing
Starfox 64

Blast Corps was rareware tho. Diddy Kong Racing wasnt in the first year either. There were stuff like Pilot Wings and Wave Race. I also remmber Doom, Hexen and Duke Nukem being released early. Mortal Kombat 4 also came ou pretty late, you are probably mistaking it with Trilogy.

Don't forget Shadows of the Empire. I think that came out by Christmas of the N64's first year.
#18FayeLadyPosted 2/2/2014 10:19:22 AM
As it turns out I was thinking of the correct MK game but the wrong port. 1997 was the year it came to arcades it was brought to n64 the following year. My mistake. DKR was certainly a 1997 game tho a late one.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#19nouseravailablePosted 2/2/2014 10:30:42 AM(edited)
shoggothsnack posted...
Don't forget Shadows of the Empire. I think that came out by Christmas of the N64's first year.

That game was AWESOME! Except for the bike part. Anyway, the problem with n64 is that it lacked some games from some trendy genres like survival horror, rpgs and a few other things. Many were Rayman, Silicon Valey, Clover wich offered the same thing that mario 64 had (some were awesome tho) or were your standard insane 3d fighting game. Looking back now, it had other stuff but that was all we could find for a while...
But yeah, Beetle, Resident Evil 2, Shadow Man and Rogue Squadron were third party and were among my favorites.
---
NP: A Link Between Worlds and Brutal Legends.
3DS: 0619-3048-6154 (add me for friend safari)
#20ShiNoBinnPosted 2/2/2014 10:24:31 AM
Yes definitely. The system is not even getting EAs sports games? Thats a first for a Nintendo system
---
"Look upon me....do you see how pathetic you are!? Only a chosen few have the power to face me on this level!.."