Seems to me that the real problem with third party developers on WiiU...

#1sketchturnerPosted 2/4/2014 7:53:13 AM(edited)
Is a lack of understanding the Nintendo demographic.

It seems to me that because WiiU owners aren't peeing on themselves rushing to buy Arkham City, Darksiders, Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, etc. then developers think third party games can't succeed. They think it means WiiU owners will only buy Nintendo games. However, the people who play those "mature, realistic" games either don't own WiiU or have a more powerful system that they would rather play on.

Third parties need to make games for WiiU (whether ports or exclusives) that properly suit Nintendo's console. Your thoughts?
---
The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.
#2DarkAdonis123Posted 2/4/2014 8:02:07 AM
Nothing without Mario/Link in it seems to suit Nintendo's console. That's the problem. Wonderful 101 was published by Nintendo, but sold 60k copies. Had Mario, Luigi and Peach been unlockable heroes, It would've sold a million copies.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#3vashtrichamPosted 2/4/2014 8:02:59 AM
sketchturner posted...
Is a lack of understanding the Nintendo demographic.

It seems to me that because WiiU owners aren't peeing on themselves rushing to buy Arkham City, Darksiders, Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, etc. then developers think third party games can't succeed. They think it means WiiU owners will only buy Nintendo games. However, the people who play those "mature, realistic" games either don't own WiiU or have a more powerful system that they would rather play on.

Third parties need to make games for WiiU (whether ports or exclusives) that properly suit Nintendo's console. Your thoughts?

Or nintendo needs to make a console that gives games to everyone not just one or two demos. If they did this it will sell better. They should give people less reason to choose other systems for those games instead of more.
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#4IzecPosted 2/4/2014 8:03:11 AM
But Nintendo is the king of family-friendly games. If those publishers can't make money on Wii U with popular triple-A titles that don't directly compete with Nintendo's software market, why would they risk failing against Nintendo's first-party games with IPs that haven't historically generated much profit for them to begin with?

Even putting aside the facts that Wii U lacks a large install base and is a hurdle for developers to port to, we saw back with the Wii a ton of people trying to attract Nintendo's successful demographics and the result was mostly shovelware. Third-party devs don't seem to have the talent to rope in casual or young gamers at nearly the rates Nintendo has proven able to.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#5IzecPosted 2/4/2014 8:04:46 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Nothing without Mario/Link in it seems to suit Nintendo's console. That's the problem. Wonderful 101 was published by Nintendo, but sold 60k copies.

This is another good point, even if your game is critically acclaimed and has the "Nintendo" tag on it, people just aren't really willing to test the waters with new franchises nowadays.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#6DarkBlade2Posted 2/4/2014 8:36:05 AM
My thoughts are treat me like you would if I was buying for a different console. Don't cut content from the Wii U version, don't give me the last game in a Trilogy and then give the other consoles the full Trilogy for the same price, don't release a game six months after the other consoles got it and expect me to pay full price for it.

I want to buy the Wii U version of third party games more often then not they shot themselves in the foot. I was going to get Arkham Origins on the Wii U but ended up getting it on my PS3 for the multiplayer (Had I know it would have been a broken mess I would have gotten the Wii U version). I did buy Lego Marvel Super Heroes for the Wii U and I am disappointed that we have yet to get any DLC for it. (DLC has Spider-Man's black suit, know that I can't have one of my favorite costumes all but killed my urge to unlock everything)

In short by not putting out quality products I have become suspect of third parties. I am waiting to see how the Wii U version of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 stacks up to the others, though Beenox has been really good with their multiplatform support.
#7vashtrichamPosted 2/4/2014 8:37:29 AM
DarkBlade2 posted...
My thoughts are treat me like you would if I was buying for a different console. Don't cut content from the Wii U version, don't give me the last game in a Trilogy and then give the other consoles the full Trilogy for the same price, don't release a game six months after the other consoles got it and expect me to pay full price for it.

I want to buy the Wii U version of third party games more often then not they shot themselves in the foot. I was going to get Arkham Origins on the Wii U but ended up getting it on my PS3 for the multiplayer (Had I know it would have been a broken mess I would have gotten the Wii U version). I did buy Lego Marvel Super Heroes for the Wii U and I am disappointed that we have yet to get any DLC for it. (DLC has Spider-Man's black suit, know that I can't have one of my favorite costumes all but killed my urge to unlock everything)

In short by not putting out quality products I have become suspect of third parties. I am waiting to see how the Wii U version of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 stacks up to the others, though Beenox has been really good with their multiplatform support.

And this is all on nintendo when no other system has these problems.
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#8UmitenchoPosted 2/4/2014 8:41:15 AM
http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/
#9zatOMGPosted 2/4/2014 8:43:33 AM
vashtricham posted...
DarkBlade2 posted...

And this is all on nintendo when no other system has these problems.

How is it "all on Nintendo"? They didn't make any of those decisions, and didn't force the devs to put out lacking product.
#10HeroC114Posted 2/4/2014 8:45:40 AM
Umitencho posted...
http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/

Anytime 3rd party is brought up, someone needs to post this.

I remember working in retail when the Wii was out and popular. Recommending anything but the Nintendo games was a gamble, due to the sea of clones and mini-game compilations out at the time.

Devs saved their heavy hitters for the 360 and PS3 only, which is why I prominently played those systems. Wii U is definitely better in regards to support for 3rd party, with less trash and more quality, and to be honest I have my plate filled with games to play at the moment, but it's no where near where it should be in terms of new games being released.

3rd parties have no one to blame but themselves. Splinter Cell was a fantastic game, but it was poorly marketed by Ubisoft. No one's fault but theirs.
---
Xbox Live GT: Hero C
NNID: HeroC114