Nintendo Community back then vs now

#1Sega9599Posted 2/7/2014 7:39:27 AM
They are both indicative of their times, as well as technological improvments.

But man, this video really brought back the memories for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4KG9ib8S4&list=HL1391783676

there really was something special back about those days. Today gamers have more choice than ever, but back then, the limited things we did have we really appreciated. And because there was no internet, things were much more 'exciting'. Such as finding out about the warp zone and stuff.

I think now of course, the community is larger than ever. Because of that, divisions occur much frequently. No matter what, back then we were GAMERS altogether. Despite the so-called 'console wars' back in the 90's, things between people were never quite as heated as they are these days. You had a SNES with great games, you had a Genesis/MD with great games. You may have had extra things such as Turbo grafix or Amiga etc. And of course you had the Arcade, which was THE gaming hangout place.
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#2jtr219Posted 2/7/2014 7:42:36 AM
I definitely miss those days. The internet has made gaming really toxic.
---
NNID: jtr219
#3trenkenPosted 2/7/2014 7:44:52 AM(edited)
Yeah no kidding. I remember the only way you knew anything about games was from magazines like EGM, and if a game got a 7 it was considered a must buy. So different now. People call it nostalgia, but it actually was better.

A new EGM would come out and it was so exciting. Especially like pre-N64 when they were hyping up MArio 64 for like 2 years. Never saw a game so hyped up since then, and it lived up to it. Good times. Hasnt been equaled since.

---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#4trenkenPosted 2/7/2014 7:46:17 AM
You would get issues of EGM and gamepro, see new games like Super Metroid, Link to the Past, then a while later Mario 64, Wave Race, all the N64 stuff that was on the way. To me that was the best time ive seen in gaming.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#5Rasputin77Posted 2/7/2014 7:51:54 AM
... things between people were never quite as heated as they are these days.

I just don't see it that way.

I don't see a "growth" of anxiety or tension between console owners... I DO see, however, angsty tweens, teens and manchildren getting up on soapboxes they shouldn't have. And I see a soft, coddled generation that takes everything they read on the internet too seriously. I also see an alarming increase in giving a f*** about why complete strangers think what they think, and the unexplained need to constantly challenge them on it.

My thoughts about gaming communities relates directly to a statement I heard on the radio this morning. "Far too many people have a voice these days." I think things only seem 'heated' because, online, you pretty much have a direct link into every below-average IQ with a CPU and an internet connection.
---
Is this a "soft" generation?
Post something that gets 9 laughs, but makes 1 person believe you wrote it just to make THEM angry... see what happens.
#6Too_many_namesPosted 2/7/2014 8:04:45 AM(edited)
Rasputin77 posted...

I don't see a "growth" of anxiety or tension between console owners... I DO see, however, angsty tweens, teens and manchildren getting up on soapboxes they shouldn't have. And I see a soft, coddled generation that takes everything they read on the internet too seriously. I also see an alarming increase in giving a f*** about why complete strangers think what they think, and the unexplained need to constantly challenge them on it.

My thoughts about gaming communities relates directly to a statement I heard on the radio this morning. "Far too many people have a voice these days." I think things only seem 'heated' because, online, you pretty much have a direct link into every below-average IQ with a CPU and an internet connection.

I am not implying that I am the exception to what you said, but I will agree nonetheless. The new generation (and I belong to it) is too "soft", and, what's worse, finding a job nowadays is difficult (6/10 young adults are unemployed where I live). So, a few years ago, I was having "happy fun times", or whatever you guys call that, and then a reality check dropped on me like 16 tons. And many people (of my age) that I know haven't even realised that yet.

But I am getting off topic. I am, however, itching to mention that people like Ute Lemper, George Carlin etc. are rarities these days...

And I think the Internet is (one of the) main reason(s) your generation was better than ours.
---
An old man once told me: "No old man is to be trusted".
#7NarutoPosted 2/7/2014 8:03:23 AM
Sega9599 posted...
Despite the so-called 'console wars' back in the 90's, things between people were never quite as heated as they are these days.

Maybe you just never got into the discussions. I was fanboying for Nintendo back in the day. Things got heated, but as history shows, I was on the winning side. Sega's out of the hardware business and look at what Sonic's become -- suck it, Sega fanboys!
#8Ambassador_KongPosted 2/7/2014 8:06:03 AM
Rasputin77 posted...

Far too many people have a voice today? I guess you must have been listening to one of the Reich Wing Conservative station. If you don't like all the dirty peasant masses having opinions and such, perhaps you should move to a country that you might feel more comfortable in - can I suggest Saudi Arabia, Mainland China, or North Korea.

Seriously, next thing you know the unwashed masses might start thinking they live in a Democracy.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi.
#9SegavsCapcomPosted 2/7/2014 8:09:06 AM
"Far too many people have a voice these days"

Its called an opinion Ras. Perhaps you've heard of it.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#10RuePosted 2/7/2014 8:35:40 AM
SegavsCapcom posted...
"Far too many people have a voice these days"

Its called an opinion Ras. Perhaps you've heard of it.

I don't believe you understand his point. He is saying not that everyone shouldn't have their own opinion, but now with the world connected the way it is, everyone hears everyone's opinion about everything. It gets cluttered and causes people to butt heads more since the internet allows for all people in the world to discuss, argue, and fight about anything and everything as aggressively as they want.
---
Hee Ho!