Why do 3rd party games count for SonySoft but not Nintendo

#1iKhan88Posted 2/7/2014 12:11:58 PM
I keep hearing that we are going to have another drought on the Wii U. But then people seem to ignore the handful of 3rd party titles spread throughout the spring, and when people mention Song and Microsoft's offerings, people are quick to defend with the likes of Thief and Watch Dogs.

I'll admit the Wii U has a lackluster 3rd party line-up, but to not count them all is artificially inflating the problem.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#2HeroC114Posted 2/7/2014 12:18:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3SegavsCapcomPosted 2/7/2014 12:27:58 PM
Because games are guaranteed to come to the PS4/One.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#4cmincPosted 2/7/2014 4:24:02 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Because games are guaranteed to come to the PS4/One.

Read the above twice, tc. Then consider that the games that are coming will be out in less time than it took 3d world to show up, theyll keep coming out thereafter, e3 press conferences and presentations will be spectacles packed with truly solid offering after truly solid offering for christmas and beyond AND these games will blow the crap out of everything we'll ever see on our wiiu's while promising to only get better and be produced faster in the future.

And i say that as someone who, likely, wont be buying either of the new machines. Im a day one wiiu buyer, and i like the system and am disappointed in nintendos willingness to admit their faults, but the truth is just what it is.

Yeah, nintendo has billions, but i have no games to lookforward to that i havent already bought several variations of, no big third party titles in sight and i built a pc out of disgust over it.

Dont make this argument again.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | I7-4771 Turbo | GTX 770 4GB GDDR5 | Corsair HX 850W |
Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 128 MB Cache HD | RS Challenger Case |
#5darkjedilinkPosted 2/7/2014 4:28:32 PM
iKhan88 posted...
I keep hearing that we are going to have another drought on the Wii U. But then people seem to ignore the handful of 3rd party titles spread throughout the spring, and when people mention Song and Microsoft's offerings, people are quick to defend with the likes of Thief and Watch Dogs.

I'll admit the Wii U has a lackluster 3rd party line-up, but to not count them all is artificially inflating the problem.

Having actually READ the OP, I will answer TC's question.

They don't count for Nintendo for a multitude of reasons:

-First, the ones announced have a small chance of being cancelled.
-Second, the ones announced that WON'T be cancelled are very likely to be gimped in some fashion out of the gate by the developer, so they can blame Nintendo fans for why it doesn't sell
-Third, and this relates to the second, despite the intentional gimping by the developer, they'll still cost the same amount of money

They count for Sony and MS for a multitude of reasons:

-First, this is where most people go for third-party games
-Second, third-party games absolutely destroy first- and second-party game sales on those consoles
-Third, because third-party games sell so well on those systems, it's the primary reason people who buy those consoles buy them.
---
Third-party games on Nintendo consoles haven't sold well since the GameCube because they don't perform as well as they should, and that's somehow our fault.
#6Valor_PhoenixPosted 2/7/2014 4:36:55 PM
Also there is the whole 'third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles' thing.

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/41672/USA/

Those are the top 30 North America game pre-orders.

Watch_Dogs
PS4 ~ 190,000
XBone ~ 150,000
PS360 ~ 100,000 each
PC ~ 40,000 (dropped off the bottom of the chart weeks ago.)

Supposedly there is a Wii U version, but the pre-orders are so low I've never seen them on the chart.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Assassin%27s+Creed+IV

The PS4 version of Pirate's Creed sold roughly ten times as many copies as the Wii U version.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris
"There are more defective users than defective systems."