Can i play Wii games w/o the wii mote?

#1zabaesPosted 2/8/2014 1:36:40 PM
I want to get twilight princess but I don't want to buy extra controllers to make the game work. Can i just use the Gamepad to play Wii games? Also, when playing a Wii game can I play it on the gamepad w/o using a tv?
---
50/50 Chances are this post will be moderated. :v
#2Kart_KrazyPosted 2/8/2014 1:38:10 PM
You MUST have a Wiimote and Nunchuk to play Zelda:TP, but you can use the gamepad as a secondary TV.
---
3DS: 5284-1428-8156 (Sammy); NNID: YearOfTheWooster
Play/msg me! 3DS: Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus, and Pokemon X! | Wii U: Blops2
#3WillWarePosted 2/8/2014 1:38:35 PM
In order: No, yes.

It can output to the gamepad, but you must use Wii controllers to play Wii games.
---
I'm what you might call a classic gamer.
This space intentionally scribbled all over.
#4zabaes(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 1:40:12 PM
Dang, thank you for the responses. :/
---
50/50 Chances are this post will be moderated. :v
#5terrancejonesPosted 2/8/2014 1:44:15 PM
Thinking about Zelda, I think I see why they haven't yet added gamepad controls support for Wii games. It of course would be great to play virtual console games... But wouldn't this mean that the gamepad would be operational during a wiimote game, like zelda? No that can't work without some added coding to prevent this error. Well, that's my guess anyways. It certainly would be nice though.
---
Every console has a game worth playing to me, like for example, the Xbox 360 has Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
#6TwinTwistPosted 2/8/2014 7:15:39 PM
I heard the pro controller works for original Wii games...is this not true?
#7OzzieArcanePosted 2/8/2014 7:49:29 PM(edited)
TwinTwist posted...
I heard the pro controller works for original Wii games...is this not true?

It is not. Only Wiimotes and it's extensions (Nunchuk/Classic Controller) work.

This was one of my biggest gripes when I wrote about the system around release. I had assumed the pro controller would work as a classic controller and I wouldn't need to waste batteries anymore but... nope.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com