Nintendo needs to bring back an N64 style mario game to the Wii U.

#51manmousePosted 2/10/2014 11:13:49 PM
McDude_ posted...
Mario 64 doesn't have a timer or linear levels. It allows you to adjust the camera and explore as much as you like. In fact, that seems to be the whole point. Its hub world was a fully explorable 3D world that, itself, housed some hidden stars and levels to further reward exploration. Made great use of its 3D world.

It's probably the last real evolution of the series, and that's mostly because it innovated through the software rather than gimmicky hardware. It wasn't as easy as taking iconic images like the piranha plant or toads and packaging them with a waggle spin/touch-activated gong. The ideas were baked into the actual game.

ok, so you want other games to be like Mario 64? doesn't that contradict your very praise of it?

"Mario 64 doesn't have a timer or linear levels." ok, cool. it was a good game. so is 3D World. so is SMB3. i know it doesn't have linear levels. what's your point? it also doesn't have multiple characters, or practical longterm powerups. does that mean it should? no, it's its own game and it's designed to be itself. SM3Dworld has multiple characters with different abilities and numerous powerups that can be used everywhere any time and in any situation and each changed combat in its own way and had different affects on your skillset. it is a good game, by being itself. why does it have to be Mario 64?
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#52DorotimusWitikPosted 2/10/2014 11:45:41 PM
McDude_ posted...
Mario 64 doesn't have a timer or linear levels. It allows you to adjust the camera and explore as much as you like. In fact, that seems to be the whole point. Its hub world was a fully explorable 3D world that, itself, housed some hidden stars and levels to further reward exploration. Made great use of its 3D world.

It's probably the last real evolution of the series, and that's mostly because it innovated through the software rather than gimmicky hardware. It wasn't as easy as taking iconic images like the piranha plant or toads and packaging them with a waggle spin/touch-activated gong. The ideas were baked into the actual game.

Oh yeah, because the first 3D multiplayer Mario isn't a big deal at all. If a game doesn't have the awkward creepyness to it that SM64 had then it's automatically not as good. I swear, that's all any game on the N64 had going for it. It was a primitive time for 3D graphics and everything was super freakin' awkward. OOT and Majora's Mask were awkward, Golden Eye was awkward, SM64 was awkward, Banjo was awkward, Conker was super freakin' awkward... all of it was awkward as hell, and that's where the nostalgia comes from. It's like staring at a baby trying to walk without any sense of fine motor skills. I think that ultimately people will look back on that era of 3D graphics in the same way that most gamers today view the Atari 2600.
#53manmousePosted 2/11/2014 12:55:02 AM
now that's a bit extreme. they certainly were lacking in a certain smooth finesse that eventually got mastered much later, but the 5th generation 3D games will certainly age much more smoothly than Atari era. they were messy for sure, but they were going somewhere and it was easy to see where.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#54Galaxy_Nova(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 3:56:24 AM
manmouse posted...

Galaxy_Nova posted...
There is nothing wrong with any of the [ ! ] box items of Mario 64. There functionality was at the right time even if you only use them a few times.

i agree, it has nothing to do with them being bad. it's just that the game was designed to be played entirely as default Mario with only particular brief objectives (sink to the bottom of a lake, pass through a wall) requiring the powerups occasionally. my point was simply that much like Galaxy's powerups they're not as relevant to the overall experience compared to the long-term powerups for use any time anywhere for any duration such as those available in SMW, SMB3, SMB, and SM3DWorld. it's hard to call SM3DWorld's powerups useless when they're literally useful any time anywhere as opposed to if it gave you only 3 or 4 Tanooki suits in the whole game, which lasted 30 seconds each, and were only used to gain one star in their respective levels and were unused otherwise.

I get what your saying. I know that can do more with power ups in 3D World than in N64 no problem, it works great too! Yet even though N64 Mario cant take it's power ups from say level A to level B I still think that that it's power ups usage does not in any way impact the game in a negative way even when considering its restrictions.

I think that it actually helps to find and item box in the way the game was designed in how and when you find it. That's how the game was made to play and it got the job done for me.

My concern was that since the 3D World/Land games have fixed cameras with very minimal angle adjustments I just am getting tire of all this timer BS and fixed angles. I understand that for games like nsmb and previous 2D games.

3D world is an excellent game it's just that it's excellent if it was a game in addition to a more robust main N64 style selling game instead of making a quickie to make cash. Nintendo can do better i don't know why they holding back on us.
---
Refreshing Like A Spring Breeze.