While I do LOVE that Nintendo doesn't charge for online play...

#1Nintendocore64Posted 2/10/2014 11:12:56 AM(edited)
There's almost no games that actually have online play on the Wii U. There are many missed opportunities with games such as NSMBU, 3D World, DKTF, and more. Is lag really still their excuse? I mean it's kind of ridiculous when on the 360, even the smallest releases like Sonic 2 include online play, yet Nintendo doesn't typically bother with their first party games.

Here's to hoping Smash U and Mario Kart 8 have good online play. Smash U better not be like Brawl where if you're not friends with anyone it's just a two minute extremely laggy fight with random people and no leaderboards or sense of progression.
#2NeonYoshi11Posted 2/10/2014 11:13:54 AM
Nintendo still makes games that are more fun to play single player though.

When I'm REALLY into a game. It's me and the game and nobody else.

I don't want others or an online connection to screw that up.

Online multiplayer gaming is awesome, but only if it works well.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0219-2969-7648
#3NovaLevossidaPosted 2/10/2014 11:14:33 AM
Nintendocore64 posted...
Here's to hoping Smash U and Mario Kart 8 have good online play. Smash U better not be like Brawl where if you're not friends with anyone it's just a two minute extremely laggy fight with random people and no leaderboards or sense of progression.

This, so much.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#4Nintendocore64(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 11:28:17 AM
NeonYoshi11 posted...

While games are more fun for me in single player as well, the option is always nice to be able to play with a friend far that's far away.
---
3DS FC: - 0404 6384 7451
ACNL: Lefty of Termina
#5PoweranimalsPosted 2/10/2014 12:00:07 PM
NeonYoshi11 posted...

But it's not like you're forced to use online play.
#6amadeofan1Posted 2/10/2014 12:03:12 PM
The only game I played in recent memory that was online was ME3, and that was only because I had 3 buddies in the real world who had it so I could fill an entire game with people I actually knew. I don't enjoy random people at all. So the point, I don't mind if Nintendo charges or not because I'll never use it.
---
I got in trouble on Gamefaqs for the word "cracker". It was bad enough to put me on probation
#7CubeTVPosted 2/10/2014 12:09:58 PM
It's even more annoying when you consider that the 3DS has more online Nintendo games than the Wii U. Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis/Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Pokémon while all the Wii U has for online games is Wii Sports Club. Heck, there's Streetpass which is a persudo-online which is featured in Mario Party Island Tour and Zelda A Link Between Worlds.

Hopefully the Wii U Mario PArty (if there is one) and Zelda Wii U have some feature for online play. Maybe a mini-game mode as a "the best Zelda player" sword-fight with all your current equipment.
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#8Oni_TaedoPosted 2/11/2014 2:31:54 AM
I think the games that need it will have it, like Smash, MK8 etc.

But the ones that don't need it, won't have it.
Sure, it wouldn't hurt to have it, but I feel that it also wouldn't help.
Online isn't something that CAN make a game better.

CoD isn't made better by online, as a matter of fact, it actually makes it worse.
---
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVGViking
#9RiaanYsterPosted 2/11/2014 2:37:31 AM
I absolutely love the fact that so many Nintendo games are local multiplayer focused. In fact, i think many people stick with Nintendo due to this. If it's at the cost of online mutliplayer, so be it.

That being said... many games would benefit from it. Nobody mentioned MH3U though? That game is basically built to use online. So there are games that do focus on that on the WiiU, I guess many just prefer focussing on local multiplayer, such as Mario. They specifically mention that... I guess if you're a developer you have to choose where you spend your resources, online or local and local trumps 9/10 times for WiiU.
#10_The_Hitcher_Posted 2/11/2014 2:50:03 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
I think the games that need it will have it, like Smash, MK8 etc.

But the ones that don't need it, won't have it.
Sure, it wouldn't hurt to have it, but I feel that it also wouldn't help.
Online isn't something that CAN make a game better.

CoD isn't made better by online, as a matter of fact, it actually makes it worse.

That's just plain flat out ridiculous. CoD is pretty much built around online multiplayer, they could drop the campaign and strictly local multiplayer and barely anybody would care. I know it's "cool" to hate CoD to an irrational degree but come on...

Also, the real issue is that Nintendo are making games that suit online multiplayer but don't have it. Most people not of school-age find it hard to regularly get together to play locally, Nintendo need to stop just claiming to take it seriously and actually do it.