Wii U Owners becaming Non-gamers.

#31cyanide_suicidePosted 2/10/2014 8:15:22 PM
Nintendo console owners typically don't buy third party games on Nintendo consoles. They used to sell back when Nintendo was the only game in town, but when Sony came out with the Playstation, they jumped ship onto another company that didn't have such (at least, in their points of view) draconian standards.

With the NES, Yamauchi only allowed publishers to publish five games a year. Period. They had to make those games count, and they usually resulted in quality titles, thus, the Nintendo Seal of Quality that appeared on game boxes back in the day. With the SNES he cut third party publishers some slack. He lowered the count to three games per year, however, if the game met certain quality criteria, the game would not count toward the three allowed. So publishers could pump out three crap games and unlimited quality games. The Playstation came out, and publishers were ready not only to abandon the cartridge format, but also the rules Nintendo had set in place for them. Sony gave third party publishers free reign to do what they wanted. At least in my opinion though Yamauchi did the right thing. The gaming crash had previously occurred because there were far too many consoles and poor-quality games flooding the market all at once, quite similar to what's going on now.

Since then third party non-exclusive games have typically never sold well on Nintendo consoles. Even highly acclaimed third-party multiplats like Resident Evil 4 only sold 1.69 million on the Gamecube, whereas it sold 3.62 million on the PS2. Even taking into account a more recent game, let's say Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, this still holds true. Going by vgchartz's numbers, altogether it has sold 7.24 million physical copies of the game. On the Wii U, it has sold 130k copies. This amounts to less than 2% of their sales. It's not profitable for Ubisoft to even bother porting their games to a console nobody buys their games on.

Of course, one could say that the ports are poor and that that's why people don't buy them. Then again, one could argue that, judging by history, nobody was going to buy them anyway, and that's why they don't get as much effort put into them as they do other versions. It's kind of a vicious cycle that nobody knows exactly when it got started, and nobody knows exactly how to end it. Do third party publishers put extra effort into their Wii U ports in an attempt to drive up sales for the games? Should Nintendo start providing incentives for third party publishers to put more effort into them in an attempt to drive up sales? Should Nintendo contract out more third party exclusive games in an attempt to repair relations, i.e. Nintendo paying an absolute assload of money to make GTA VI a Wii U exclusive. (This would be worth it just to watch the river of tears flow, just like with Bayonetta 2) Or should third parties simply give up on selling on Nintendo consoles? Or should they keep going with the support they have because we're entitled to ports of games on our consoles of choice despite the fact that they lose the publisher money?
#32Cubfan082Posted 2/10/2014 8:22:56 PM
QlJGamer posted...
As a Wii U owner, I am becoming a non-gamer. EA & Ubisoft, Activision are simply pissing me off. Their games are crap and they make you not wanna buy any of their games. I just load up Need For Speed: Most Wanted and it froze. Nintendo games never freeze. Why are you guys games so terrible. Call of Duty Ghost is worse than Call of Duty Black Ops II.

Ubisoft delaying games, and ea being a brat.

My Wii U is seriously about to become a Nintendo-Game Console, they the only ones trying to polish games. Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Fire Emblems.

Third-Party wants to give Wii U a middle finger, well we can do the same. beg for the games then not buy them. I supported 2K and EA and they left so I could care less about Activision and Ubisoft.

Third-Party is going to have to go out of their way for me to buy another game from them. Exclusives only, multiplats are crap.

you realize that they achieve that polish by having every game they make be late to its own party? That is what you get when the company has an 8 billion dollar safety net...
---
Regarding teaching pigs to sing: "It wastes your time and annoys the pig" ~Mark Twain
#33AceMosPosted 2/10/2014 11:00:50 PM
sonic777 posted...
Well, with a 3DS, you weren't a gamer, so I suppose with Wii U, you're not a gamer either.

"With my Wii U's Game Pad, I'm not a gamer, I'm a cat-suit wearing hero of the world!"

uh how is a3DS owner not a gamer?

the 4DS is the best game device for teh 8th gen
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#34metalmariolordPosted 2/10/2014 11:29:12 PM
AceMos posted...
sonic777 posted...
Well, with a 3DS, you weren't a gamer, so I suppose with Wii U, you're not a gamer either.

"With my Wii U's Game Pad, I'm not a gamer, I'm a cat-suit wearing hero of the world!"

Remember, 3DS doesn't count.
If Vita was selling more, portables would suddenly become gamer stuff.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games? GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
Sorry about bad english, not primary language.
#35Emerald_MeliosPosted 2/11/2014 12:33:00 AM
That's right, they can't allow the 3DS to refute every rhetoric they've said in support of "superior hardware."
#36sonic777Posted 2/11/2014 12:40:23 AM
metalmariolord posted...
AceMos posted...
sonic777 posted...

Remember, 3DS doesn't count.
If Vita was selling more, portables would suddenly become gamer stuff.

Nintendo literally had a 3DS ad campaign where the whole schtick was "With my Nintendo 3DS, I'm not a gamer."
---
ZeroArchery posted... I know, I missed the 1 on my keyboard. 3DS stayed at 2.7 Million for its first year. Wii U already passed it.
#37ninjanickxPosted 2/11/2014 12:44:32 AM
QlJGamer posted...
If you can't afford to make good polished games, stop making games period. I am not going to blame Nintendo for third-party games that run terrible. You want your game to sells well you need to take the risk of making a good game. Its a business.

Nintendo released the Wii U with ****ty software tools. It's not the 3rd parties fault they didn't take more risks. This is all on Nintendo.
---
Not changing this sig until M$ gets off their lazy @$$ and make Killer Instinct 3.
-Started 12/5/09
#38Shadowbird_RHPosted 2/11/2014 1:12:23 AM
If you're disappointed with EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, then maybe it's time to try buying games from 3rd parties that don't suck.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#39Emerald_MeliosPosted 2/11/2014 1:47:25 AM
Shadowbird_RH posted...
If you're disappointed with EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, then maybe it's time to try buying games from 3rd parties that don't suck.

That's why I've mostly been playing Atlus games like Etrian Odyssey. They're not shovelware like Skyrim or CoD.
#40mcsmellingtonPosted 2/11/2014 1:48:06 AM
QlJGamer posted...
As a Wii U owner, I am becoming a non-gamer. EA & Ubisoft, Activision are simply pissing me off. Their games are crap and they make you not wanna buy any of their games. I just load up Need For Speed: Most Wanted and it froze. Nintendo games never freeze. Why are you guys games so terrible. Call of Duty Ghost is worse than Call of Duty Black Ops II.

Ubisoft delaying games, and ea being a brat.

My Wii U is seriously about to become a Nintendo-Game Console, they the only ones trying to polish games. Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Fire Emblems.

Third-Party wants to give Wii U a middle finger, well we can do the same. beg for the games then not buy them. I supported 2K and EA and they left so I could care less about Activision and Ubisoft.

Third-Party is going to have to go out of their way for me to buy another game from them. Exclusives only, multiplats are crap.

Have you considered buying a different console that has better third party support?
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington