The Wii U currently has a userbase of close to 6 million units sold, correct?

#1Nate_DihldorffPosted 2/11/2014 1:37:11 PM
Yet, only 1% of Assassin's Creed IV sales were actually on Wii U-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100284605&postcount=202

So 3rd party companies supporting the Wii U isn't necessarily about the number of owners, and more about how much software they'll actually sell.
#2Jacob46719Posted 2/11/2014 1:40:30 PM
duh.
---
I am a Lucid Dreamer.
#3Spade21XPosted 2/11/2014 1:40:56 PM
yah.
---
Currently Playing: Outlast (PS4) | Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV) | One Piece: Romance Dawn (3DS)
PSN: Spade21X - NFC: 5241 - 1904 - 3885
#4LvthnPosted 2/11/2014 1:44:51 PM
Correct. Wii U doesn't merely have a small install base, that install base has shunned third party attempts pretty hard. When said third parties decide not to spend another wad of bills to port DLC for the 25,000 people who bought the game on Wii U, install base blames the lack of DLC for not buying the game, sometimes minutes after exclaiming that DLC is a plague on modern gaming.

And I say this in bafflement, because nobody was shunning third party games on NES or SNES. Hell, nobody really does this on any of Nintendo's handhelds even to this day.
#5Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/11/2014 1:48:52 PM
Nate_Dihldorff posted...
Yet, only 1% of Assassin's Creed IV sales were actually on Wii U-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100284605&postcount=202

So 3rd party companies supporting the Wii U isn't necessarily about the number of owners, and more about how much software they'll actually sell.

It's a matter of both. I discussed this in another thread, but the attach rate for Black Flag was very similar across the 3 platforms.

It's just that the 360 and PS3 have a potential userbase of 80 million compared to the WiiUs 6 million. So although the attach rate is similar, the difference in physical sales is obvious. The market is there, and if the WiiU had a higher user base games would see more sales, but right now it doesn't, so it's a risk third parties don't want to take.

And as such, the WiiU market doesn't grow, and games don't get a chance to sell.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#6DarkerDaiPosted 2/11/2014 2:02:37 PM
Absolutely. It doesn't help their sales though when they make poor ports of Xbox 360 and PS3 games. Developers also look at potential growth of the consoles userbase and how easy it can be to make one game for several machines. Sadly the Wii U doesn't have the same growth potential as the PS4 or the Xbox One. When these machines hit their stride, the technical gap between these and the Wii U may be too great that they would have to develop a different game for the Wii U which most won't as it's not cost-effective.
---
#cliffybdouchecanoe
FC: 2964-9402-4914
#7MilesTeg420Posted 2/11/2014 2:09:56 PM
The Wii U userbase can't be trusted. More than half of the sales were at launch. Unfortunately there is no way to tell how active those buyers currently are. My guess is they stopped supporting the console long ago. Nintendo's active Wii U userbase are the people who purchased from August-Present. Meaning about half of their six million userbase simply isn't active. The number is much worse than it seems for this very reason.
#8Steel_ShadowsPosted 2/11/2014 2:17:43 PM
It doesn't help that the Wii U version isn't getting any of the DLC. What incentive do I have to buy the Wii U version of Black Flag over another console's if I don't have the option to try all of its content, downloadable or no?
---
Games are like women, they don't have to be smokin' hawt to make me happy.-Mr_X_Returns
Member of the IRDC, where everything's a dirty joke.
#9ElectricMolePosted 2/11/2014 2:39:52 PM
Steel_Shadows posted...
It doesn't help that the Wii U version isn't getting any of the DLC. What incentive do I have to buy the Wii U version of Black Flag over another console's if I don't have the option to try all of its content, downloadable or no?

dat gamepad
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#10CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 2/11/2014 2:45:47 PM
Is this based on Ubisoft statements, or retail estimates?
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656