The Wii U currently has a userbase of close to 6 million units sold, correct?

#11EsperValkyriePosted 2/11/2014 3:02:21 PM
I would be more likely to buy third party games on my wii u if they weren't going to be unsupported after launch. If DLC and additional content isn't going to even be considered for the wii u why should I bother buying incomplete games. There really isn't a reason why assassins creed DLC wasn't ever going to be on the wii u aside from the fact that Ubisoft didn't want to bother. If any of the third parties offered the same support that the other consoles got, then maybe more people would buy the wii u or buy third party games for it. You can't just say oh third party games don't sell at all without actually releasing them in the same state as they get released on the competition
---
Currently Playing: Super Mario 3D-World, Wind Waker HD
#12Cubfan082Posted 2/11/2014 3:04:13 PM
Steel_Shadows posted...
It doesn't help that the Wii U version isn't getting any of the DLC. What incentive do I have to buy the Wii U version of Black Flag over another console's if I don't have the option to try all of its content, downloadable or no?

you are putting the cart before the horse, you should be asking yourself "Do I want the WiiU to succeed outside of first party releases or not?"...

..You have to have an install base that will support the DLC and the initial release. If the consumers won't support that level of sales, and if Nintendo won't offer to publish it to offset costs what choice does a third-party have?

they don't work for free, nor are they in business to lose money. Until the sales goals can be reached for a third-party game to be self sufficient, it won't happen without Nintendo carrying part of the costs. When you understand that this would be a number in the 3 to 6 million dollar range you should be filling the inbox of Nintendo with hate mail, cause that is the type of offering that would be required to get full levels of support...

Nintendo can't transfer their aura, they should use the power of negotiations and old fashioned mattress stuffing to get their console owners on a level playing field.
---
Regarding teaching pigs to sing: "It wastes your time and annoys the pig" ~Mark Twain
#13darklink67Posted 2/11/2014 3:05:19 PM
I think the average gamer is becoming jaded from bs third parties have been doing this past generation. It's not because nintendo gamers don't want third party games, people are sick of taking the crap some developers too.
#14Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/11/2014 3:07:58 PM(edited)
MilesTeg420 posted...
The Wii U userbase can't be trusted. More than half of the sales were at launch. Unfortunately there is no way to tell how active those buyers currently are. My guess is they stopped supporting the console long ago. Nintendo's active Wii U userbase are the people who purchased from August-Present. Meaning about half of their six million userbase simply isn't active. The number is much worse than it seems for this very reason.

But that's.... you can say that for EVERY console. How many of the 80 million 360s can be counted as active?

I just...

I don't...

Are you deliberately trying to be as obtuse as possible? You've literally flustered me good job.

Actually, you know what? This entire topic has flustered me. I just saw someone argue that Nintendo should money hat third parties for DLC. DLC?! I don't...

ARRRGH. IT'S MONEY HATTING THAT'S CAUSED THE CURRENT DECLINE OF GAMING AS WE KNOW IT!
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#15avigeant83Posted 2/11/2014 3:14:33 PM
I got ACIV on the xbone over the Wii U version based on graphics and DLC. I love Nintendo, but I tend to buy only Nintendo games on their systems. They make the best games available. I will get DKC, MK8, Smash, X, and hopefully Fire Emblem. I probably won't get any 3rd party games unless they are exclusive to Nintendo.
#16Lord_Ka1nPosted 2/11/2014 3:16:25 PM
Neo_Heartless posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
The Wii U userbase can't be trusted. More than half of the sales were at launch. Unfortunately there is no way to tell how active those buyers currently are. My guess is they stopped supporting the console long ago. Nintendo's active Wii U userbase are the people who purchased from August-Present. Meaning about half of their six million userbase simply isn't active. The number is much worse than it seems for this very reason.

But that's.... you can say that for EVERY console. How many of the 80 million 360s can be counted as active?

I just...

I don't...

Are you deliberately trying to be as obtuse as possible? You've literally flustered me good job.

Actually, you know what? This entire topic has flustered me. I just saw someone argue that Nintendo should money hat third parties for DLC. DLC?! I don't...

ARRRGH. IT'S MONEY HATTING THAT'S CAUSED THE CURRENT DECLINE OF GAMING AS WE KNOW IT!

well thats different, half of those 360s got RROD
---
PSN - Lord_Ka1n (Current PS4 games - AC:BF, NFS Rivals, Tomb Raider DE)
3DS FC - 2680-9921-1203 - Feel free to add, pm me so i can get you back
#17mjc0961Posted 2/11/2014 3:39:42 PM
Jacob46719 posted...
duh.

---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#18Steel_ShadowsPosted 2/11/2014 4:24:03 PM
Cubfan082 posted...
Steel_Shadows posted...
It doesn't help that the Wii U version isn't getting any of the DLC. What incentive do I have to buy the Wii U version of Black Flag over another console's if I don't have the option to try all of its content, downloadable or no?

you are putting the cart before the horse, you should be asking yourself "Do I want the WiiU to succeed outside of first party releases or not?"...

..You have to have an install base that will support the DLC and the initial release. If the consumers won't support that level of sales, and if Nintendo won't offer to publish it to offset costs what choice does a third-party have?

they don't work for free, nor are they in business to lose money. Until the sales goals can be reached for a third-party game to be self sufficient, it won't happen without Nintendo carrying part of the costs. When you understand that this would be a number in the 3 to 6 million dollar range you should be filling the inbox of Nintendo with hate mail, cause that is the type of offering that would be required to get full levels of support...

Nintendo can't transfer their aura, they should use the power of negotiations and old fashioned mattress stuffing to get their console owners on a level playing field.

I disagree. I don't expect Nintendo to foot the bill and take the loss for DLC (assuming that the process of developing for Wii U doesn't cost any more than any other platform it's released on in particular) just so another company won't try to sell me the gimped version. Promising ahead of time that you're not going to port DLC over to a particular version can't do anything but hurt your sales on that platform, which then becomes a pretext to say, "You see?"
---
Games are like women, they don't have to be smokin' hawt to make me happy.-Mr_X_Returns
Member of the IRDC, where everything's a dirty joke.
#19Cubfan082Posted 2/11/2014 7:37:04 PM
Steel_Shadows posted...
Cubfan082 posted...
Steel_Shadows posted...

I disagree. I don't expect Nintendo to foot the bill and take the loss for DLC (assuming that the process of developing for Wii U doesn't cost any more than any other platform it's released on in particular) just so another company won't try to sell me the gimped version. Promising ahead of time that you're not going to port DLC over to a particular version can't do anything but hurt your sales on that platform, which then becomes a pretext to say, "You see?"

please understand...

...a third party title has a much higher probability of succeeding in a system that has consumers. Nintendo is the one who gas to move he hardware, their hardware...

...for their hardware to be successful it needs to be able to hang with what software companies are offering on the competing hardware . Nintendo is so far behind that they either need to stop competing with that market or step.up to the plate and level the playing field.

When you are last in line, you have to be willing to do what you have to get fed. By either allowing third parties to publish at reduced cost, offering them staff, or other creative ideas have to be considered along with plain old palm greasing because the consumer base Nintendo has is not going to support anything that is not Lego, Dance Party, or Skylanders...

...you don't have to outsell the other systems,but you need a similar adoption rate. AC3 was near 10 % on the the other systems, on the Wii u I don't think it cracked 2%...

meanwhile titles like nsmbu was well over 50% with 3D being around 35%...

...can you see why a third party is not interested in that market if they have no hope of making money or at least breaking even?

Njntendo makes it money publishing games. If it doesn't have consoles in the market they have no one to sell their published games too...securing strong third party commitments along with getting out DKTF, MK8, SSBU and Bayonetta THIS YEAR along with announcing an agreement has been reached with Ubisoft for them to put out Watch_dogs with full support along with a title to be named later in exchange for say, allowing then to have a crack at a Metroid reboot that is done along side Nintendo, that is how you do business that can make a third party want to stay alingend with you...

...cause if they can't get the sales rate they need, perhaps getting them onto one of the dormant IPs could get them a 2 million unit selling game...
---
Regarding teaching pigs to sing: "It wastes your time and annoys the pig" ~Mark Twain
#20IzraeilPosted 2/12/2014 4:39:48 AM
That makes sense, Other consoles have nothing else to play, While The Wii U has tons of great Nintendo first party titles to keep people away from 3rd party games.