"Wii U owners are lucky to get any 3rd party games. 3rd parties are businusses."

#21squatch22Posted 2/11/2014 4:24:39 PM
Lvthn posted...
GoldenJoe24 posted...
Absolutely. So when Tomb Raider sells two million units on the non-Nintendo consoles, and is STILL unprofitable because of the outrageous development costs, why doesn't Squeenix start experimenting with the WiiU?

This is a myth that gets passed around a lot. Tomb Raider was not unprofitable, it just didn't earn as much as SE hoped for. With the "Definitive Edition" now out I don't doubt they've come a lot closer to their original hopes.

Wrong.
Its profitable now. But took a while.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-17-tomb-raider-finally-achieved-profitability-by-the-end-of-last-year
---
NNID: Nin10do-1983 PSN: squatch1983
Welcome to DoubleStandardsFAQs - Sony fanboy hypocrisy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpwxF2L37M8
#22Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/11/2014 4:27:15 PM
FayeLady posted...
GoldenJoe24 posted...
sharinagin posted...
Third parties aren't morally/ethically/whatever obligated to support a system under any conditions, but especially if they're taking losses and selling poorly on it. Get over it.

Absolutely. So when Tomb Raider sells two million units on the non-Nintendo consoles, and is STILL unprofitable because of the outrageous development costs, why doesn't Squeenix start experimenting with the WiiU?

Or how about: why didn't THQ consider making a serious effort on the original Wii since there was little competition and low development costs, instead of banging their head against the PS360 wall until they went out of business?

I mean, you had 120 studios go out of business last gen, many of them big names. The primary reason is that the cost of making HD AAA games is too high, and necessitates multi-million sales figures just to break even. Nintendo is sitting here holding an olive branch, and everyone wishes death on them for it.

Makes sense.

Square did make games for both the Wii and Wii U.
Certainly you must have heard of Udraw?

Nintendo tends to get scraps of development because their platform tend to be less profitable than the Xbox and Playstation. If they Xbox and Playstation versions of a game aren't profitable then the Wii U version would have been an even bigger money sink as was the case with most multiplatform games last year.

Did you... did you just try to compare UDraw to something like Final Fantasy XIII and then imply we should be grateful for whatever we get? Because I think you just did.

I'm sorry but you took that persons argument and then spun it in such a way that it pretty much just came out like you have no earthly idea what you are talking about.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#23LvthnPosted 2/11/2014 4:31:00 PM
squatch22 posted...
Lvthn posted...
Tomb Raider was not unprofitable

Wrong.
Its profitable

I'm wrong, because I said it wasn't unprofitable, and you have an article that says...it was profitable?

Goddamnit squatch, at least pay me the favor of trying harder than this. You're not supposed to rebut your own statements, knucklehead.
#24FayeLadyPosted 2/11/2014 4:34:03 PM(edited)
Neo_Heartless posted...
FayeLady posted...
GoldenJoe24 posted...
sharinagin posted...
Third parties aren't morally/ethically/whatever obligated to support a system under any conditions, but especially if they're taking losses and selling poorly on it. Get over it.

Or how about: why didn't THQ consider making a serious effort on the original Wii since there was little competition and low development costs, instead of banging their head against the PS360 wall until they went out of business?

I mean, you had 120 studios go out of business last gen, many of them big names. The primary reason is that the cost of making HD AAA games is too high, and necessitates multi-million sales figures just to break even. Nintendo is sitting here holding an olive branch, and everyone wishes death on them for it.

Makes sense.

Square did make games for both the Wii and Wii U.
Certainly you must have heard of Udraw?

Nintendo tends to get scraps of development because their platform tend to be less profitable than the Xbox and Playstation. If they Xbox and Playstation versions of a game aren't profitable then the Wii U version would have been an even bigger money sink as was the case with most multiplatform games last year.

Did you... did you just try to compare UDraw to something like Final Fantasy XIII and then imply we should be grateful for whatever we get? Because I think you just did.

I'm sorry but you took that persons argument and then spun it in such a way that it pretty much just came out like you have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Your argument was that they should have invested in the Wii/Wii U. They did. The fact that you didn't care for what they produced shouldn't change anything. I don't care for the vast majority of third party games on the Wii U, but im not going to pretend they don't exist.

Furthermore, I never said anything about expressing gratefulness. Its business. If you like the product, buy it. If not, don't.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#25TyrantLowKeyPosted 2/11/2014 4:34:23 PM
hiphops_savior posted...
Sometimes, investment and risk taking is a necessary part of business, even if it means losses.

Good point, but when even Nintendo admits the faults in Wii U, it's hard to put any risk on the system. I want continued 1st party support for 3 years. Or atleast 2 more. If so and we get all the games that were advertised on it, I'll personally consider it a success since there are some gems on the Wii U that I absolutely love playing and can't play anywhere else.
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Heart Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT IV, ToS, ToGF, TotA, ToX, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#26nonexistingheroPosted 2/11/2014 4:35:34 PM
FayeLady posted...
I'd say that the Xbone polices are a pretty good example. If you don't like a practice, don't support it. Maybe it will change.

Doesn't work. I never bought an iPhone and Apple's bigger than ever.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#27FayeLadyPosted 2/11/2014 4:37:21 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
FayeLady posted...
I'd say that the Xbone polices are a pretty good example. If you don't like a practice, don't support it. Maybe it will change.

Doesn't work. I never bought an iPhone and Apple's bigger than ever.

Thats simply because thats an unpopular opinion today. Day may come when its not tho.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#28Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/11/2014 4:39:32 PM
FayeLady posted...

Your argument was that they should have invested in the Wii/Wii U. They did. The fact that you didn't care for what they produced shouldn't change anything. I don't care for the vast majority of third party games on the Wii U, but im not going to pretend they don't exist.

Furthermore, I never said anything about expressing gratefulness. Its business. If you like the product, buy it. If not, don't.

Yes but UDraw? Really? That's like going to the Cinema to watch the latest action film, only to be told that I have to watch Dora's Fun time Adventure and like it. If I don't watch it, well they'll not produce any more films for me.

Do you understand how stupid that sounds? I hope you do.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#29FayeLadyPosted 2/11/2014 4:45:31 PM
Neo_Heartless posted...
FayeLady posted...

Yes but UDraw? Really? That's like going to the Cinema to watch the latest action film, only to be told that I have to watch Dora's Fun time Adventure and like it. If I don't watch it, well they'll not produce any more films for me.

Do you understand how stupid that sounds? I hope you do.

Sounds like Udraw isn't in your wheelhouse. I get it. I don't understand how this is a problem with THQ's support of the platform, just its compatibility with your own tastes.
---
#30wugeezyPosted 2/11/2014 4:55:12 PM
Golden Maven posted...
The XBox One DRM policies were actually beneficial to the paying customer. Now we've been pulled back a few years after Microsoft had to revise them. Shame, cause a lot of the whiners had no intention of buying an XBox One in the first place.

How were the drm policies good for consumers?