Can nintendo win back third parties?

#1Murderstorm117Posted 2/14/2014 10:28:25 AM
When is this going to change? The choice to go with the dated cartridge format over disc destroyed third party support for nintendo 64. All the third parties jumped to playstation. Now third parties are all about xbox as well leaving pretty much ubisoft and activision supporting nintendo to receive abysmal sales. Do you think nintendo will ever get back third parties? They don't even acknowledge this is a problem and it becomes more evident as we enter the second drought
---
NNID Mstorm
Proud owner of PS4 since Day 1
#2AMGPosted 2/14/2014 10:37:20 AM
Nintendo needs more aggressive management. Only then can I see positive changes happening on their home console front.
#3Core_PrimePosted 2/14/2014 10:39:07 AM
Not until they get new management, that's what.
It's petty decision after decision.
---
"I can practically see those tears on the other side of that monitor."
- DeathSoul2000
#4PulpPosted 2/14/2014 10:46:02 AM
No.

Without getting into specifics, this is the last gen we will see "traditional" consoles from the big 3. I expect Nintendo to retreat somewhat into handhelds.
---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#5FuzzyJelloPosted 2/14/2014 10:59:07 AM
They really can't win them back, since they never had them to begin with; the NES and SNES had such choke-holds on so much of the market (and the SNES's brand familiarity to work in place of its lower sales) that third parties had no choice but to put up with Nintendo back when Nintendo was (necessarily) draconian.

I do think they can stand to be a little more empathetic and inclusive in their console. This idea of unveiling their new hardware to third parties in the region of 6-9 months before their release, like they did with both the 3DS and Wii U, is just too late. That is not asking for developer input, that's asking "Here's our finished product, what do you think?" and most third parties are responding with answer B, "It looks interesting, for sure, but it's not what we want to work on." Hence here we are today. Nintendo builds their consoles for their games with the hope of making their machines success enough that third parties want to develop for them, always have, that will not change. But I think they can be a little more open to developer comment without losing that autonomy.
#6DaLaggaPosted 2/14/2014 12:52:27 PM(edited)
FuzzyJello posted...
They really can't win them back, since they never had them to begin with; the NES and SNES had such choke-holds on so much of the market (and the SNES's brand familiarity to work in place of its lower sales) that third parties had no choice but to put up with Nintendo back when Nintendo was (necessarily) draconian.

I do think they can stand to be a little more empathetic and inclusive in their console. This idea of unveiling their new hardware to third parties in the region of 6-9 months before their release, like they did with both the 3DS and Wii U, is just too late. That is not asking for developer input, that's asking "Here's our finished product, what do you think?" and most third parties are responding with answer B, "It looks interesting, for sure, but it's not what we want to work on." Hence here we are today. Nintendo builds their consoles for their games with the hope of making their machines success enough that third parties want to develop for them, always have, that will not change. But I think they can be a little more open to developer comment without losing that autonomy.

Pretty much this. Nintendo has always had an environment that was hostile to 3rd parties. Back in the NES and SNES eras though, 3rd party developers didn't really have a whole lot of choice when it came to putting games on Nintendo platforms because they were dominating the market. As soon as the PS1 came along though, most of the better 3rd party developers jumped ship and Nintendo has been hemorrhaging what little 3rd party support it had left for the past 15 years.

Pulp posted...
No.

Without getting into specifics, this is the last gen we will see "traditional" consoles from the big 3. I expect Nintendo to retreat somewhat into handhelds.

The handheld market is dying quickly thanks to mobile gaming. Sales for the 3DS are severely down from where DS sales were at this point and the Vita is all but dead while the PSP was thriving a handheld generation ago. I don't think any hardware manufacturer is going to find the handheld market to be profitable in the coming years.
#7ShiNoBinnPosted 2/14/2014 12:52:18 PM
Pulp posted...
No.

W/how they are handling the WU, I really hope they do just focus on handhelds here on out.
---
"Look upon me....do you see how pathetic you are!? Only a chosen few have the power to face me on this level!.."
#8Artillatron8Posted 2/18/2014 1:48:03 AM
No. Not at all. I think the best thing for nintendo to do is buy sega & capcom and forget about the other third parties.
---
http://imgur.com/SmX6G.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ooA6B.jpg
http://imgur.com/2oYJf.jpg http://imgur.com/k2m1S.jpg
#9STN79Posted 2/18/2014 2:08:41 AM
The only way in hell Nintendo will get third parties backing them now is if everyone else dropped out and they were the only ones left making game systems.
Well that and they'd have to change their whole image. You know from Kiddie low powered console to hardcore bleeding edge tech beast with a focus on M rated titles.

That is just never going to happen and if it did they wouldn't be Nintendo anymore.
It would certainly help if people would stop acting like graphics and violence are the main draw in videogames. Notice how Nintendo was more popular before those type of games existed?
I mean when gaming was just a fun hobby and not about maturity level and coolness factor.
When all we had was Nes and Snes i don't recall anyone saying Nintendo was for babies.
None of this kiddie console talk started until the N64 and PS1 hit the scene.
Suddenly Sony was all that and Nintendo had lost their dominance over the market.
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#10AvirosbPosted 2/18/2014 2:11:54 AM
More like TURD party, amirite =D

But seriously, 3rd party is a fickle dame. They'll come around and shovel us with ware eventually.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.