Do you think Nintendo are considering

#1its_mattPosted 2/15/2014 3:53:26 AM(edited)
Somehow releasing a WiiU that does not use the tablet controller with a brand new full featured WiiU Sports at an obviously lower price to try and recapture the casual market's interest again, or has that ship sailed?
#2JackalPosted 2/15/2014 3:57:52 AM
No. The GP IS the Wii U. With out it the thing is just a hi-rez Wii. They have to use the gimmicks to complete in this market as Iwata once said. But I could go for the price cut! :)
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#3its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 4:15:34 AM
Jackal posted...
No. The GP IS the Wii U. With out it the thing is just a hi-rez Wii. They have to use the gimmicks to complete in this market as Iwata once said. But I could go for the price cut! :)

It isn't just a HD Wii though. It can run games on par with PS3 or Xbox360 and those devices can obviously do more than the same as Wii in a higher resolution (imagine trying to run Skyrim on the Wii, it wouldn't just look like PS3/Xbox360 running at 480p)
#4DreTam2000Posted 2/15/2014 4:42:22 AM
its_matt posted...
Jackal posted...

It isn't just a HD Wii though. It can run games on par with PS3 or Xbox360 and those devices can obviously do more than the same as Wii in a higher resolution (imagine trying to run Skyrim on the Wii, it wouldn't just look like PS3/Xbox360 running at 480p)

1) "It isn't just a HD Wii though."

2) "It can run games on par with PS3 or Xbox360 and those devices can obviously do more than the same as Wii in a higher resolution (imagine trying to run Skyrim on the Wii, it wouldn't just look like PS3/Xbox360 running at 480p)"

Aren't these the exact same two sediments basically? All you did was solidify his point. Without the gamepad, the Wii U is basically an "hi-res" Wii... just like he said.

On the other hand, I do believe that a slight remodeling of the gamepad (some reduction in size and in the amount of plastic used for the screen and controller itself) could help with a price cut. The controller is too damn big anyway, and uncomfortable to hold (I held one in Wal-Mart once or twice).
#5rockusPosted 2/15/2014 4:47:20 AM
DreTam2000 posted...
its_matt posted...
Jackal posted...

2) "It can run games on par with PS3 or Xbox360 and those devices can obviously do more than the same as Wii in a higher resolution (imagine trying to run Skyrim on the Wii, it wouldn't just look like PS3/Xbox360 running at 480p)"

Aren't these the exact same two sediments basically? All you did was solidify his point. Without the gamepad, the Wii U is basically an "hi-res" Wii... just like he said.

On the other hand, I do believe that a slight remodeling of the gamepad (some reduction in size and in the amount of plastic used for the screen and controller itself) could help with a price cut. The controller is too damn big anyway, and uncomfortable to hold (I held one in Wal-Mart once or twice).

It isn't the same. The power of a system can contribute to more than just graphics.
---
http://thetramp.dvdaf.com/
#6Breastmilkn_DipPosted 2/15/2014 4:48:07 AM
its_matt posted...
Somehow releasing a WiiU that does not use the tablet controller...

The release of a Gamepad-less Wii U was a consideration even before the console was launched.

---
"One game has the power to change everything" Iwata 30/10/13
"It is difficult to change our prospects with just one title" Iwata 31/10/13
#7its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 4:50:45 AM
DreTam2000 posted...
its_matt posted...
Jackal posted...

I said the WiiU isn't just a HD Wii and then I explained my point because I wanted to be understood. What is your point?
#8JackalPosted 2/15/2014 5:12:12 AM
its_matt posted...
DreTam2000 posted...
its_matt posted...
Jackal posted...

I said the WiiU isn't just a HD Wii and then I explained my point because I wanted to be understood. What is your point?

An HD Wii would be exactly what you said but I guess you were never a part of the topics about this stuff in the past. The Wii U should have been the Wii. But it's too late now because they would have a very hard time selling an optional Gamepad for $100+. It just won't work.

Now you would have this console that you have to buy extra storage for. An optional Gamepad for to take advantage of and/or even play some games or to use off TV game features. Has lacking support. Why would any choose that over the other consoles? Because the core system would be cheaper? It would be a valueless investment.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#9its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 5:57:47 AM
Jackal posted...
its_matt posted...
DreTam2000 posted...
its_matt posted...
Jackal posted...

An HD Wii would be exactly what you said but I guess you were never a part of the topics about this stuff in the past. The Wii U should have been the Wii. But it's too late now because they would have a very hard time selling an optional Gamepad for $100+. It just won't work.

Now you would have this console that you have to buy extra storage for. An optional Gamepad for to take advantage of and/or even play some games or to use off TV game features. Has lacking support. Why would any choose that over the other consoles? Because the core system would be cheaper? It would be a valueless investment.

I'm pretty certain we are discussing at cross purpose.
#10DreTam2000Posted 2/15/2014 8:04:43 AM
rockus posted...
DreTam2000 posted...

It isn't the same. The power of a system can contribute to more than just graphics.
Yeah, but who can tell the difference between a game on the Wii and a game on the Wii U with the naked eye aside from the higher resolution? Aside from it being HD, the average person doesn't know it. Personally I couldn't tell the difference between a PS3 game versus an XBOX one versus a Wii one, etc. And I think many consumers are in the same boat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its_matt posted...
DreTam2000 posted...

Allow me to be clearer...

The Wii U isn't supposed to be on par with the PS3 or 360 to begin with. It's supposed to be on par with the PS4 and the XB1. Leaping ahead of its predecessor as a machine only as good as those systems which coexisted with its predecessor- well- surely you see the problem there, yes..?

You're taking the phrase "Wii U is nothing but a hi-res Wii" too literally. Aside from it being an exaggeration, to the average person's naked eye it's as good as true.