Is having a handheld system an overall detriment to Nintendo?

#1MephsuitPosted 2/17/2014 1:04:54 PM(edited)
Let me be clear, I haven't owned a handheld gaming device (unless you count an iPhone) since Game Boy Color. I'm sure that the DS, 3DS, Game Boy Advance, and others have their merits and I've played a few of their games on emulators.

They sell decently well and something like the 3DS is a pretty good financial buoy that's worth having to prevent something like the Wii U from bringing the whole house down. But would the Wii U be in such a precarious spot if they would have diverted the 3DS resources towards Wii U? There are certain franchises (Pokemon, Toon Link games, Kid Icarus) that are hugely successful while in the mean time the Wii U is in constant threat of having no games for long stretches of time. Many of us have been waiting over a decade for a legit Pokemon console game, but it will never happen... even if it would be a console moving game.

If only there was some way to have a combination handheld/console system that you could create games that can hold a console size amount of information yet work on a handheld and just have some kind of adapter to work on a home TV.
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#2Tempest717Posted 2/17/2014 1:05:57 PM
The handhelds are Nintendo's best sellers, if anything you should be asking if the consoles are a detriment to Nintendo.
---
NNID/PSN: Tempest717
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lybewnsXOY1qikhz3o1_r1_500.gif
#3Mephsuit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 1:39:27 PM
That may be true... but I also don't know if a lot of the console games would translate to a handheld system. I'd gladly pick up a handheld if they went that route tho'
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#4Opethian5Posted 2/17/2014 1:54:39 PM
I hope the rumor about the "nintendo fusion" is true

Correct me if im wrong, but isn't the idea with "nintendo fusion" to make the next handheld and console have roughly the same hardware so the same games can be played on both consoles?

That sounds like a really good strategy imo

The advantage of this is that we would practicaly avoid game droughts because the handheld and console divisions of nintendo would be able to work together in a new way and we would get a more steady pace of games released
#5DBPanterAPosted 2/17/2014 2:03:56 PM
Mephsuit posted...
That may be true... but I also don't know if a lot of the console games would translate to a handheld system. I'd gladly pick up a handheld if they went that route tho'

That's exactly the point. Hand held games are generally different than a home console experience and that is by design. It is a different experience.

The issue goes back to 2001 when the path was set with the Gamecube getting crushed by the PS2 to change directions within Nintendo which resulted in the DS and Wii. The Wii U is getting crushed because Nintendo is 7 years too late to the HD party and didn't embrace on-line gaming that has become the norm in the western world. A few weeks ago Iwata once again reiterated the need to change direction for the company, bringing up Quality of Life (QoL) as well as all sorts of wearable health monitoring devices that sound wonderful on paper, but there are companies with more resources and greater dedication to technology that will make these sorts of devices.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#6Opethian5Posted 2/17/2014 2:34:07 PM
Bump because i find this topic interesting.
#7Mephsuit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 6:51:00 PM
Being that this is the Wii U board, I assume most of us would prefer the console over the handheld. But being spread like this isn't doing the Wii U any help aka the handheld is winning this tug of war
---
#8IokuaPosted 2/17/2014 6:59:32 PM
No, but having a console is of late.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#9Breastmilkn_DipPosted 2/18/2014 1:27:43 AM
Mephsuit posted...
Being that this is the Wii U board, I assume most of us would prefer the console over the handheld. But being spread like this isn't doing the Wii U any help aka the handheld is winning this tug of war

Indeed. The overall result is that the Wii U isn't, by any stretch, something I'd call an honest, full blooded console conceived and designed to take Nintendo gaming to the next level and beyond. In actual fact, it doesn't even qualify as a transitional console. The Wii U is nothing more than a dated and cheap effort, a stall that was cobbled together to give Nintendo the token appearance of 'presence' in this current generation whilst they tried to figure out which way the wind was blowing.

---
"One game has the power to change everything" Iwata 30/10/13
"It is difficult to change our prospects with just one title" Iwata 31/10/13
#10EoinPosted 2/18/2014 1:46:38 AM
The 3DS is almost certainly a detriment to the Wii U. That doesn't mean that it's a detriment overall. It also doesn't mean that all Nintendo handhelds are necessarily detrimental to all Nintendo consoles. There is a very valid argument for a complimentary business model between console and handheld, one that benefits both. It's just that Nintendo have clearly gotten their console/handheld relationship wrong this generation. The Wii U's major selling points are the GamePad (which it seems isn't much of a selling point) and first party Nintendo games - but the 3DS is cheaper and offers a wider selection of first party games at lower prices, along with better third party support and portability.

Opethian5 posted...
I hope the rumor about the "nintendo fusion" is true

There is no rumour about Nintendo Fusion. Fusion is very obviously not true - it's a hoax.

Opethian5 posted...
Correct me if im wrong, but isn't the idea with "nintendo fusion" to make the next handheld and console have roughly the same hardware so the same games can be played on both consoles?

This is something that Iwata has said that they're doing anyway.