Is having a handheld system an overall detriment to Nintendo?

#11DorotimusWitikPosted 2/18/2014 1:52:33 AM(edited)
Eoin posted...
Opethian5 posted...
I hope the rumor about the "nintendo fusion" is true

There is no rumour about Nintendo Fusion. Fusion is very obviously not true - it's a hoax.

Uhhhh... the existence of the console doesn't really have any bearing on the existence of the rumor.

Opethian5 posted...

Correct me if im wrong, but isn't the idea with "nintendo fusion" to make the next handheld and console have roughly the same hardware so the same games can be played on both consoles?

Not exactly. The plan as it has been described so far is for the handheld and console to use the same processor architecture so that they can run eachother's code natively and for Nintendo to start developing games to be more or less agnostic to the platform that is actually running it. Presumably that would mean games would be playable at a variety of resolutions and possibly with differing detail levels kind of like on PC. The actual potency of the hardware though is probably still going to keep being about what you'd expect though with the console being a more potent machine.
#12EoinPosted 2/18/2014 1:52:51 AM(edited)
DorotimusWitik posted...
Uhhhh... the existence of the console doesn't really have any bearing on the existence of the rumor.

A rumour is only a rumour if there is a chance of it being true. Since "Fusion" contains both stupid hardware choices and hardware that is straight-up fictional, it cannot be true and therefore is not a rumour. The appropriate word is, as I said, "hoax".
#13DorotimusWitikPosted 2/18/2014 1:58:46 AM
Eoin posted...
DorotimusWitik posted...

A rumour is only a rumour if there is a chance of it being true. Since "Fusion" contains both stupid hardware choices and hardware that is straight-up fictional, it cannot be true and therefore is not a rumour. The appropriate word is, as I said, "hoax".

That's not even remotely true. A rumor doesn't in any way have to be true or even reasonable. It just has to be a circulated and unconfirmed story. Something doesn't even cease to be a rumor when it's flatly denied.
#14EoinPosted 2/18/2014 2:05:12 AM
DorotimusWitik posted...
A rumor doesn't in any way have to be true or even reasonable.

You are correct but this is not relevant to what I said.

DorotimusWitik posted...
It just has to be a circulated and unconfirmed story.

The status of Fusion is not "unconfirmed". It is confirmed as false.

DorotimusWitik posted...
Something doesn't even cease to be a rumor when it's flatly denied.

Yes, this is also correct, and also irrelevant. Denying something doesn't make it untrue and therefore doesn't stop it from being a rumour. However, if something has absolutely zero chance of being true and this is visibly obvious, then it is not a rumour.
#15bartz90Posted 2/18/2014 2:19:33 AM
Mephsuit posted...
That may be true... but I also don't know if a lot of the console games would translate to a handheld system. I'd gladly pick up a handheld if they went that route tho'

But what do you consider a console game? Luigi's Mansion maybe? Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil?

They went that route a very long time ago. It usually is that handhelds are at least a generation behind consoles, so they seem inferior in their own time but handhelds have long been able to handle games that are equivalent to the generation of consoles that came before them.

For example, GBA had Donkey Kong Country and Rayman from the SNES and PS1. Of course it was outdated by then. But I think handhelds really turned the corner towards what people expect out of consoles when the DS and PSP happened. My first game for the DS was Mario 64 and I just marveled at playing this N64 classic in my hands. When the 64 was released I never even imagined that day would ever come like I'm sure many people didn't. PSP also matched consoles with games like Birth by Sleep, Gitaroo Man and the Lost Frontier among many others.

Now at the 3DS and especially the Vita I don't think anyone can argue you can't have the console experience in your hands if you want it. Look at Vita's Uncharted, Killzone, LBP and simultaneous releases/ports with the PS3 like Sly 4, PS All Stars, Dragon's Crown, SF vs Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom 3. Whether people want the console experience on handhelds is another question. I see people complain about "console like" games not being tailored to a handheld style but it really depends on your playstyle. If you only play handhelds on the go it could be a problem but many people like me play on the go and for extended periods at home, some play exclusively at home.

It's a pretty bold thing to say that handhelds are the detriment to Nintendo when they've always been the best sellers for them and the 3DS is basically keeping them alive while the Wii U burns through their money.

If you think cutting the 3DS out will help the Wii U get more games faster, you're kidding yourself. Ignoring the loss of revenue from handhelds, it may help get games out a little faster but the thing is console games will generally take longer to churn out than handhelds. It demands more resources. In the HD age it's even worse. Nintendo's inability to keep the games flowing on the U is their own fault for not having enough people which they're working on, and because they seemingly didn't anticipate the difficulties of HD development.

They've now merged the handheld and console divisions (or said they will, is it done?) and in the future want to be able to port games more easily between the two, but the "Fusion" thing was just a rumour.
---
-