I don't understand how a bad game in a series could kill a franchise

just release a good game and forget the bad entries, who cares
---
fuzzy pickles
#32Stanger5150Posted 2/17/2014 6:38:31 PM
heartlesshero17 posted...
SSJLink posted...
I'm actually thinking of getting into the Metroid series soonish since I never bothered with the games. Just asking around for where I should start

Zero Mission. Basically plays like Super Metroid (the best game) but is a retelling of the first Metroid game.

heh, the guy I was asking a moment ago also suggested it first but I like to get multiple references

I really know not a damn thing about the series. I tried a prime game for a few moments(not even sure which one it was) while I was at a friend's house but didn't play it much cause he was going through a "FPS only" phase and at the time I just did not want to play another with him again. I also tried I think Super Metroid for a few minutes.

So I really don't have much of a feel for what kind of games these are. I recently saw a small amount of gameplay to Other M and corruption and thought it didn't seem so bad though

Zero Mission is MUCH better than the original Metroid and does a great job of telling its story. However, starting with that might make you miss out on Metroid II, which is also better than the original, but never got a remake. I was really hoping for a Return of Samus remake in the style of Zero Mission for GBA, but it was not to be :(
---
PSN/NN- BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG-16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U
#33Fenrir-JuubiPosted 2/17/2014 6:39:31 PM
Gensokyo posted...
Sure, just like Super Metroid killed the franchise back in -94.

So, Metroid Secondary in 2018?
---
"We can do this the simple way, I prefer to keep it complicated "
"No dreams and no hope, they been terminated"
#34AssdamnGomaOrakPosted 2/17/2014 6:45:36 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
SSJLink posted...
I'm actually thinking of getting into the Metroid series soonish since I never bothered with the games. Just asking around for where I should start

Zero Mission. Basically plays like Super Metroid (the best game) but is a retelling of the first Metroid game.

heh, the guy I was asking a moment ago also suggested it first but I like to get multiple references

I really know not a damn thing about the series. I tried a prime game for a few moments(not even sure which one it was) while I was at a friend's house but didn't play it much cause he was going through a "FPS only" phase and at the time I just did not want to play another with him again. I also tried I think Super Metroid for a few minutes.

So I really don't have much of a feel for what kind of games these are. I recently saw a small amount of gameplay to Other M and corruption and thought it didn't seem so bad though

Zero Mission is MUCH better than the original Metroid and does a great job of telling its story. However, starting with that might make you miss out on Metroid II, which is also better than the original, but never got a remake. I was really hoping for a Return of Samus remake in the style of Zero Mission for GBA, but it was not to be :(

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com

Here ya go. There's even a demo
---
kawaii!
#35robomagonPosted 2/17/2014 6:47:23 PM
HermeticJustice posted...
I don't understand how a bad game in a series could kill a franchise

just release a good game and forget the bad entries, who cares

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FranchiseKiller
---
DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS LINE
#36Stanger5150Posted 2/17/2014 6:51:05 PM
AssdamnGomaOrak posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
SSJLink posted...

Wow! Is it well made as well as Nintendo could have done it? Any issues you can think of?

Thanks for the link!
---
PSN/NN- BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG-16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U
#37heartlesshero17Posted 2/17/2014 6:59:19 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
SSJLink posted...

Okay, this is interesting.
---
"Traditional fish sex"
-Bill Nye
#38AssdamnGomaOrakPosted 2/17/2014 6:59:42 PM
Stanger5150 posted...

Wow! Is it well made as well as Nintendo could have done it? Any issues you can think of?

Thanks for the link!

There are still some minor bugs being worked out, and the current demo doesn't have all the gameplay features the final product will have, but it's incredibly polished and could easily pass for the real thing if it weren't for the fact it was being played on a computer
---
kawaii!
#39AnderjakPosted 2/17/2014 7:18:03 PM
Other M sold well enough to warrant more games in the franchise, but Nintendo doesn't fire out every franchise they can as often as they're able. With Mario and Zelda, they just jump on one mechanic and build a whole game around it; F-Zero, Starfox, and Metroid, though, are probably not seen as versatile enough franchises to build new gimmicks around, so they stay off 'em until someone gets a good enough idea to consider it.

They probably saw Other M and felt that either the fan reaction meant they needed to create some distance, or they couldn't decide on a compelling enough argument to warrant a full game yet. The franchise is only as dead as any other Nintendo franchise, and it's bound to see a sequel at some point -- provided whoever runs the series figures out where in the canon it'll fit.

We were kind of spoiled with the Prime games; three games in two generations for that franchise is really crazy, and that's not even considering the three handheld games that came out around the same time. We'll probably see something for the Wii U eventually no matter what, but they might be considering something more traditional for the 3DS, what with Link Between Worlds working as well as it did without being as reliant on the hardware as the two DS LoZ titles.
---
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
#40Nerreltron9000Posted 2/17/2014 7:18:06 PM
Gensokyo posted...
Sure, just like Super Metroid killed the franchise back in -94.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Metroid has never sold reliably. It's always been in the shadow of Zelda and Mario and has had numerous periods where new games were tough to get greenlit, or not even proposed at all. Other M didn't "kill" anything. It just put Metroid on the back burner again.

Shadowbird_RH posted...
I think Fusion killed Metroid. Nothing but prequels since. Kinda hard to get away from the traditional Power Suit. OM no doubt played its part in lowering Metroid's priority though.

No, what caused the prequels was the fact that Metroids went extinct in Super Metroid. The Prime games chose a period in the timeline where Metroids could still be common.

Any new game can easily just use the "we cloned them" card, though, like Other M and Fusion did.

knightoffire55 posted...

Wasn't there a Metroid in production for the N64 that got canned?

It was pretty much just a test that didn't go anywhere; I don't blame them, because it looked really awful. The N64 just couldn't produce visuals that were serious enough for Metroid, it looked too goofy and blocky.

Nintendo was proud of Super Metroid and put it on the player's choice series of $20 games to get more people to play it. They still wanted to make another on the N64, but the ideas weren't leading anywhere and there was no real momentum to build on, so they just gave up.

It looks great, but bear in mind that that guy has been working on this for years at a snail's pace. Even now, at the nearly completed stage, it will take probably the whole year at least for him to finish it.

I still can't wait. Metroid II is the only painfully dated game left in the series. It's not as bad as Metroid 1 was, but it still sucks.