The Wii U is NOT selling poorly due to lack of games.

#1originalhipsterPosted 2/18/2014 11:54:24 PM(edited)
My proof? The Gamecube. It had a much better launch lineup in terms of Nintendo games and just overall far better library than the Wii U will ever have. And yet it only sold 21 million units.

The only time when Nintendo was on top (beyond the lucky casual draw of the Wii) was the NES/SNES eras and they had 3rd party support then.

This suggests at any given time there were only about 20 million Nintendo core fans at most, the rest were clearly swayed by 3rd parties (since the NES/SNES sold more than double of this).

The truth is Nintendo could release a hundred new Nintendo games tomorrow and it really wouldn't make a difference. People who were planning to buy a Wii U will get one, people who weren't won't change their minds.

Thus, unless Nintendo manages to be at the right place at the right time once again and have another massive casual drawing console or somehow convince 3rd parties to support them again in full effect (not possible due to hardware limitations of the U anyway), the 20 million range is all Nintendo can really hope to sell for home consoles.
---
I was a hipster way before it was cool.
#2Zellio2014Posted 2/18/2014 11:57:54 PM
This thing will be lucky to sell 15 at it's current sell rate.
#3originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 11:59:53 PM
Zellio2014 posted...
This thing will be lucky to sell 15 at it's current sell rate.

I know, I was stating the best case scenario given prior evidence.

I actually personally think there's a good chance it will sell 15 million in its lifetime as well since that's what it seems to be on pace for.
---
#4originalhipster(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 10:42:48 AM
Of course this topic is ignored because I only presented facts and logic. Fanboys/Trolls who make up seemingly 99% of the traffic here can't really do much with a non-sensationalist topic.
---
#5MushroomMuncherPosted 2/19/2014 10:46:08 AM
originalhipster posted...
Of course this topic is ignored because I only presented facts and logic. Fanboys/Trolls who make up seemingly 99% of the traffic here can't really do much with a non-sensationalist topic.

LOL.

Your "facts and logic" seem to have gotten you on suspension after last time, so I suggest you change your strategy.
---
I think bankruptcy might even be good for Sony.~ChA0TiCoNe
#6trenkenPosted 2/19/2014 10:46:18 AM
You cant really compare them. Just totally different times. Yes the GC will likely end up having a far stronger first party lineup than the U will ever have, but the GC failed because of the PS2s extreme dominance.

Things are on a more level playing field. The U isnt really failing because of the competition, its failing because its not doing anything right. The first party games they have are all safe boring sequels, there is nothing even close to the level of metroid prime on this system, and nintendo came up with this idea for the gamepad and doesnt even know what to do with it. And if they havent found a VERY compelling way to use it in games, well good luck selling it to people.

All ive seen out of it is some goofy controls in nintendoland and map/item selection. Not very exciting. So without very high quality games, at $300 this is a very tough sell.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#7NordiniPosted 2/19/2014 10:49:18 AM
The Gamecube was a very solid system. The only reason its sales suffered was the dominance of the PS2 as stated above.

The Wii was a joke, and its sales were only high because people were tricked into thinking they wanted one, only to never use it again after about a month.
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#8Joey-ZazaPosted 2/19/2014 10:50:23 AM
While many can and will argue that the Original Wii was a success, the majority of gamers know that the Wii (and the GC) had a serious game drought. People gave the Wii a chance and it again failed to deliver. With the rise of the 360 and PS3, people jumped ship faster than ever with the Wii. When the Wii U came out, people had already given up on Nintendo.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#9DarthLaharlPosted 2/19/2014 10:51:09 AM
Bumping your own sensationlistic topic to taunt fanboys and then calling people out for only wanting to post in sensationalist topics....

What?

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/meh.ro10984.png
---
PSN: Unretributed
NNID: Unretributed FC- 5327-1035-6336
#10JobocanPosted 2/19/2014 10:52:25 AM
Of course it's not lack of games. If that were the case the PS4 would be doing even worse.

It's probably that games don't matter. People just buy what the mainstream media tells them to. As far as gaming goes, that means "not Nintendo".
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection