Just got a ps4, you know what crappy wiiu feature I just realized I love?

#1CyberHaunkyPosted 2/20/2014 12:17:36 PM
Tax returns came in and I had enough to buy a shiny new ps4 and a couple of games. I've been playing Tomb Raider and am trying to find all the collectables, but there is no second screen map!

I always thought throwing a map on the second screen of the ds/wiiu was a cheap cop out by developers that don't know how to take advantage of the system. Sure, it's still pretty lazy, but I'm slowly realizing how much more simple and streamlined it makes playing games with lots of collectables (see: Assassins's Creed, etc.). Heck, I remember even enjoying it in Mario Kart on the DS.

It's funny how something so simple could boost your enjoyment of a game so much.
#2PigfartsPosted 2/20/2014 12:22:44 PM
2nd screen map is a lot worse then an on screen HUD. In a lot of games looking away from the screen to check your map will get you killed.

I do like the 2nd screen as a inventory though. was pretty usful in MH3U.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#3Baha05Posted 2/20/2014 12:25:30 PM
Pigfarts posted...
2nd screen map is a lot worse then an on screen HUD. In a lot of games looking away from the screen to check your map will get you killed.

That's why you look at your map in cover or when you are not in danger of getting killed.
---
"Zelda is THE original RPG." Error1355 (Moderator)
#4CyberHaunky(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 12:29:18 PM
Agreed, but a game like Tomb Raider of Assassing's Creed is perfect for a second screen map with all the little trinkets and side quests to complete.
#5stargazer64Posted 2/20/2014 12:31:16 PM
Baha05 posted...
Pigfarts posted...

That's why you look at your map in cover or when you are not in danger of getting killed.

Then you may as well press a button and have your map show up onscreen.
---
"[Mcnugget2256] you're weak sauce! A nugget dipped into WEAKSAUCE!" - OhGoodGrief
#6trenkenPosted 2/20/2014 12:33:47 PM
It really hasnt done much for me. I switch over to playing PS3 games when I have to press start to get to the map, and its never been difficult for me to press the start button.

What I thought was going to happen when I bought the U was really inventive ways of the screen working with my TV. And I dont mean those goofy nintendo land controls.

They were on to something with ZombiU, except the game itself wasnt that great. I thought they would do some very cool things with it with 3D World, but nope, the game was rushed and not enough time to find some very cool features. Why cant I hold the gamepad up to the screen and reveal hidden platforms to secret areas or worlds? Using the screen as an augmented view of the game world is appealing to me, not showing maps or item selection on it.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#7PigfartsPosted 2/20/2014 12:34:27 PM
Baha05 posted...
Pigfarts posted...

or you look at the hud while you play and not miss a beat.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#8Baha05Posted 2/20/2014 12:35:32 PM
stargazer64 posted...
Then you may as well press a button and have your map show up onscreen.

Yeah but sometimes Maps/Inventory menus are clunky in some sense. Besides I kinda like the concept of having games streamlined. Hell Minecraft in a way is similar in nature to how games on the Wii U can play where just by screwing with a map or inventory has a chance to get yourself killed.
---
"Zelda is THE original RPG." Error1355 (Moderator)
#9LMwest09Posted 2/20/2014 12:35:47 PM
This is exactly why I love the gamepad, even if they never make better use of it. Real time inventory management and waypoints? That makes the gamepad a winner to me. Also, you cannot get killed while looking away due to common sense and peripheral vision. I don't understand how you can't see both screens at once while holding the pad normally.
#10trenkenPosted 2/20/2014 12:36:33 PM
This may sound VERY far fetched, but I was actually hoping for things like this. I pictured a 3D Mario game where on my TV its in 3D, but on my gamepad its in 2D. Dont ask me how that would work, I dont get paid to sit around and figure this out, but I could see some very cool idea with stuff like paper mario, but I just feel like they are dropping the ball with their own invention.

To me stuff like that will make U games very unique, and add some serious value and selling power to them. But Nintendo is making mistakes and are trapped in safe sequel mode. Make a game as quickly as possible. Do not spend 3-4 years coming up with amazing Wii U features. Sigh
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero