POLL: In this Day and Age, how should we define a Console Generation?

#1Reginleif20Posted 2/22/2014 8:49:52 AM
In this Day and Age, how should we define a Console Generation? - Results (411 votes)
Time/Era in which certain consoles were released
83.7% (344 votes)
Hardware Specifications
16.3% (67 votes)
This poll is now closed.
In this Day and Age, how should we define a Console Generation?
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#2FayeLadyPosted 2/22/2014 8:54:28 AM
It depends on the nature of the conversation. If you are talking about time, define it as such. If you are talking about capability then define it that way. This is how its always been. No one expects the Ouya to be as capable as the PS4, despite the fact that they share a generation in that they are sold side by side.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#3userfrigginamePosted 2/22/2014 9:04:15 AM
I guess just like we do everything else: in numerical order. You can't go from 5th gen to 4th, 5th, or 7th gen. It can only go to 6th gen.
#4WillWarePosted 2/22/2014 9:29:23 AM(edited)
Whenever the old console can't play games from the new console.

Can a Wii play Wii U games?
---
I'm what you might call a classic gamer.
I have to remind myself not to logic out human nature.
#5GEKGanonPosted 2/22/2014 9:12:15 AM
Generation is only time based. If it were based on tech, we'd measure consoles against PCs and declare every console as last gen.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#6NovaLevossidaPosted 2/22/2014 9:12:44 AM
I see merits to both time and hardware. Time, for sure, does capture all the consoles that have released near each other. However, I don't particularly find that all that useful when looking at console game comparisons thanks to massive hardware disparity. I prefer the hardware comparison just because I think it's more fitting to compare something like the Wii U with the PS3 and 360 rather than the PS4 and X1 just because they're more closely related in performance.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#7CLupulaPosted 2/22/2014 9:13:23 AM
Hardware specs.

This whole "generations are only defined by time" attitude didn't even exist until Nintendo decided to not greatly upgrade their tech with the Wii.
#8GEKGanonPosted 2/22/2014 9:14:08 AM
CLupula posted...
Hardware specs.

This whole "generations are only defined by time" attitude didn't even exist until Nintendo decided to not greatly upgrade their tech with the Wii.

Um... 32-bit PSX vs 64-bit N64... both considered the same generation.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#9FayeLadyPosted 2/22/2014 9:25:29 AM
GEKGanon posted...
CLupula posted...
Hardware specs.

Um... 32-bit PSX vs 64-bit N64... both considered the same generation.

I've certainly heard references to the 32bit generation that include the Saturn and PS1 but leave the N64 out.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#10AhnoldDoodPosted 2/22/2014 9:27:45 AM
CLupula posted...

I see you just started gaming yesterday?