POLL: In this Day and Age, how should we define a Console Generation?

#91Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 3:10:11 PM
ThunderPotato posted...
Generation refers to time, there's no debate to be had.

We're talking about Console Generation
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#92Valor_PhoenixPosted 3/7/2014 4:38:00 PM
ThunderPotato posted...

This is actually easy to disprove. Did generation 8 begin at a certain date, because of that date? Was it in 2010?

No.

Generations in this case refer to hardware/game advancement, with time bring a description applied to it afterwards.

When did generation 8 technically begin? When the Wii U came out, or was announced.
When did it really begin? When the PS4 was announced, which was when the buzz about next-gen began in earnest. That was in 2013; announcement, e3 and launch.

When did Generation 6 end? When the PS2 was discontinued, January 4th, 2013.

When did the Bronze Age give way to the Iron Age? When the techniques for refining iron ore became widespread enough to replace bronze-working.

It's a technological advancement that replaces the old one. It is dated after it happens for historical context. The only way time factors in is via Moore's Law, with a time span of 6 years meaning roughly a 16x improvement in transistors that means that then current hardware should be an impressive upgrade.

The Wii U is technically 8th gen, but flopped because it did not usher in an exciting new era of gaming... it's largely a PS360 with a tablet controller. The public reaction was, "Meh, same trick they pulled with the Wii."
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#93terrancejonesPosted 3/7/2014 4:44:28 PM(edited)
I really can't see the Wii U as counting as exactly the same gen as the Wii, no matter how much it equals the PS3 or 360 in tech. It is by definition following the release of a previous console. It is literally the 6th Generation of Nintendo home console, not a continuation of the 5th, as much as I'd like to compare, or even say it is.

Oh, and please correct me on the actual Generation number, as I had to go by NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U as the 6th one in Nintendo only. The Atari, and whatever before it, I don't actually know, so I can only assume that this gen is 7th at the absolute least.
---
Every console has a game worth playing to me, like for example, the Xbox 360 has Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
#94Motobug321Posted 3/7/2014 4:51:29 PM
Reginleif20 posted...
ThunderPotato posted...

We're talking about Console Generation

Yes, so he is correct. Generations, including video game console generations, are defined by time, nothing else.
#95Valor_PhoenixPosted 3/7/2014 4:59:03 PM
terrancejones posted...
I really can't see the Wii U as counting as exactly the same gen as the Wii, no matter how much it equals the PS3 or 360 in tech. It is by definition following the release of a previous console. It is literally the 6th Generation of Nintendo home console, not a continuation of the 5th, as much as I'd like to compare, or even say it is.

Well, that's fair.

If the Wii U was placed in 7th gen, that would place the Wii and the Gamecube in 6th gen.

There is no reason to place the Wii and Wii U in the same gen.

This is where it gets a bit complicated though. It's not strictly hardware that determines the generation, it is the marketplace that determines the generation. The 360 was already out and the PS3 was coming out that year. Whatever Nintendo released would be gen 7, even if it was a glorified SNES designed to bring back 2D games.

Time isn't used to define a generation, but it is used to describe it.

Propeller aircraft still exist in the Jet Age and other forms of metal-working existed in the Iron Age.

The Wii was a 7th gen console with 6th gen era power. The Wii U is 8th gen with 7th gen era power.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#96Traptin3daysPosted 3/7/2014 5:03:40 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
WillWare posted...
Traptin3days posted...
WillWare posted...
Whenever the old console can't play games from the new console.

Can a Wii play Wii U games?

This makes the situation quite awkward for the PS3 who can play PS1 games.

I'm not talking about backwards compatibility. I'm talking the PS1 playing PS2 games. It can't, therefore it's a new generation.

It's really f****** sad that you actually had to explain that...

In my defense I was tired and misread it as "Can a Wii U play Wii games?"
---
I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself - Epikhodov
#97Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 3:26:26 PM
Traptin3days posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
WillWare posted...
Traptin3days posted...
WillWare posted...
Whenever the old console can't play games from the new console.

Can a Wii play Wii U games?

This makes the situation quite awkward for the PS3 who can play PS1 games.

I'm not talking about backwards compatibility. I'm talking the PS1 playing PS2 games. It can't, therefore it's a new generation.

It's really f****** sad that you actually had to explain that...

In my defense I was tired and misread it as "Can a Wii U play Wii games?"

Fair enough
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#98Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 4:11:34 PM
In the end, people still choose to define it with time
---
#99Pop_SecretPosted 3/9/2014 4:15:57 PM
it is ridonculous for anyone to describe a generation dealing with anything other than time.

Generations don't go by specs. Poll results also show most people don't agree with the insane definition that generation goes by specs.
#100Starwars4JPosted 3/9/2014 4:18:36 PM
The same way it has always been defined: by the progression of time.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade