I find that the need for ultra realism is something a casual gamer needs.

#1Maverick_ReznorPosted 2/23/2014 7:16:24 PM
They are not always in it for the games being fun. They would be perfectly content playing a shiny turd of a game because it looks pretty. This is what is wrong with gaming today. Back before gaming went mainstream it was all about if the game was fun.
There's nothing wrong with liking a game that has realistic graphics in it and there is nothing wrong with wanting a game with realistic graphics in it. What is wrong is saying a game is bad if it doesn't have it or saying a game that does have it is better over another game just because of the realistic graphics.
---
Currently Playing : Bravely Default and Darks Souls
Looking Forward To: Destiny, DKC:TF, MK8, I:SS, ESO,and The Order 1886
#2RahzarXPosted 2/23/2014 7:17:38 PM
What the hell are you on about?
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#3VyersPosted 2/23/2014 7:18:25 PM
Yet sometimes ultra realism is awesome.
---
Couple o' YouTube channels. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNegativeHippie http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#4Maverick_Reznor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 7:19:50 PM
Vyers posted...

oh it can be. Can't wait for fallout 4
---
#5DreTam2000Posted 2/23/2014 7:32:49 PM
To take this a step further, to me a person who requires constantly updated, innovated, or realistic graphics is a "hypnotized" gamer.

But in this country and era, people are easily conditioned and hypnotized by the new thing.

The number of folks watching reality shows daily, the number of potheads who require marijuana daily, etc.; I'm always the opposite: The more they advertise smartphones on television, the less I want one, and probably may never own one (especially considering the fact that I cannot function well with a touchscreen phone, as I need a physical keypad).

There are too many games from 15 years ago that I haven't finished playing or enjoying. There are some hidden gems that I haven't even begun to play just yet, like Terranigma or Tales of Phantasia for SNES (two games I plan to get around to soon enough). There are dozens of games on PS1 I've yet to play, like Chrono Cross or Silhouette Mirage. There are dozens of games on the GBA I've yet to play, like Mother 3 or Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I could go on and on with the DS, Genesis, arcade, GBC, NES, etc...

When innovation for graphics moves faster than the amount of time I have to enjoy a current moment's worth of games, I get backed up and cannot keep up. I'm fine with Toejam & Earl or Lost Vikings for 25 years before I have any need (or desire) for an "AAA" title.
#6Maverick_Reznor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 8:23:19 PM
DreTam2000 posted...
To take this a step further, to me a person who requires constantly updated, innovated, or realistic graphics is a "hypnotized" gamer.

But in this country and era, people are easily conditioned and hypnotized by the new thing.

The number of folks watching reality shows daily, the number of potheads who require marijuana daily, etc.; I'm always the opposite: The more they advertise smartphones on television, the less I want one, and probably may never own one (especially considering the fact that I cannot function well with a touchscreen phone, as I need a physical keypad).

There are too many games from 15 years ago that I haven't finished playing or enjoying. There are some hidden gems that I haven't even begun to play just yet, like Terranigma or Tales of Phantasia for SNES (two games I plan to get around to soon enough). There are dozens of games on PS1 I've yet to play, like Chrono Cross or Silhouette Mirage. There are dozens of games on the GBA I've yet to play, like Mother 3 or Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I could go on and on with the DS, Genesis, arcade, GBC, NES, etc...

When innovation for graphics moves faster than the amount of time I have to enjoy a current moment's worth of games, I get backed up and cannot keep up. I'm fine with Toejam & Earl or Lost Vikings for 25 years before I have any need (or desire) for an "AAA" title.

I actually picked up chrono cross for 7 bucks today when I went to pick up a copy of out of this world (couldnt find mine in my big box of snes games and game grumps made me want to play it).
---
#7RedShadowwwPosted 2/23/2014 9:09:21 PM
100% agree with this. Not just graphics too, games that try to simulate real life just seem so boring to me yet people eat that up like its the greatest thing ever. They just have no creativity.
---
Reality is just a crappy game.
http://i.imgur.com/vcyPN.jpg
#8Darkwing EXEPosted 2/23/2014 9:11:35 PM
That's what it means to be part of mainstream. It's a constant war for as much attention as possible; where the most effective weapon is graphical strength. "Lowest common denominator" and stuff.

The real issue at hand is that for younger gamers, those that grow-up with a Playstation, a Gamecube, etc have come to believe that great graphics would equal great gameplay. Made even worse with how developers can, and will, prey on those gamers inexperience and make games that are more flash than substance.
---
"That's the way it works. I, the star, take a beating; then muster uncommon strength, and win." -Haze Shenron
www.rockman-dash.com/1125.jpg
#9Oni_TaedoPosted 2/23/2014 9:14:50 PM
Vyers posted...

If done right.

Something like GTA IV, which tries way too hard to be realistic; isn't as good as say, GTA V, which is fairly realistic, but takes liberties when it has to.
---
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVGViking
#10TransdudePosted 2/23/2014 9:30:37 PM
Would it be strange for me to consider AC1 on medium settings to be just a step below ultra realistic?

I'm serious. Playing through that game just blew me away with how detailed everything looked, and the game came, what, 2007 (2008 for PC)?
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | Origin ID, NNID, & Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996