What happens when MK and Smash don't sell enough systems?

#1Dark_Link92Posted 3/7/2014 7:36:45 AM
I know they both will sell a few each, but not to Wii levels. Parents will think "I already have Mario Kart on my old Wii, I don't need to pay 300 for a new version of it" and bam! Casual sales gone, and it'll only be the hardcore Nintendo fans left to get one if they don't already. A price drop might help with that, but not by much.

So seriously. Say by the end of the year we're at 6-7 million Wii Us sold. What do they do? Scrap it, or pretend there's no problem? I just don't see what they can do to reinvigorate sales enough to make it a serious contender at this point.
---
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.
#2mrpants_againPosted 3/7/2014 7:41:10 AM
I think that the way Nitendo is stepping up it's advertising for MK8 that it can move a substantial amount of systems. The Penzoil campaign and the deluxe edition for UK (or whatever) are two examples.

As for SSB4, it's more aimed at the hardcore Nintendo/Smash fans which more than likely own the system already. That being said, I have several friends who plan to buy a Wii U just for Smash Bros, so there is at least 3 or 4 units sold for a single game. Lol
---
This Is What We Do! This is Who We Are!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YviYufXRw0g
#3Wii_UsedPosted 3/7/2014 7:41:41 AM
$199 bundled with MK8 or SSB would see a nice little sales spike. My re-purchase included. lol
---
"It's like getting into a car and trying to go in the quarter mile 5 seconds. That's for me strange."
#4QlJGamerPosted 3/7/2014 7:45:01 AM
Even casuals like upgrading. Mario Kart Wii is old.... we need new.

I am the new casual Representative by the way
---
Quite Intelligent Judging
#5Dark_Link92(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 7:49:35 AM(edited)
I bet Sakurai will be pissed when they hastily release a new console in 3 years time. All that work for nothing. They'll probably port a load of Wii U games to whatever they do next to give them a second chance at making their development money back.
---
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.
#6cruelbirdPosted 3/7/2014 7:51:40 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
Parents will think "I already have Mario Kart on my old Wii, I don't need to pay 300 for a new version of it" and bam! Casual sales gone, and it'll only be the hardcore Nintendo fans left to get one if they don't already. .

Smash Bros was released in 2007 and MKW was released in 2008. That was 6-7 years ago. Kids who were 6 when MKW came out are 12 now. They're probably picking their own games out now (which is even more of a problem for Nintendo, arguably) so it's not fair to assume that their parents even remember buying the Wii MK/Smash Bros. games.
---
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3695/sigbase.jpg
#7Lord_of_BeefDipPosted 3/7/2014 7:56:06 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
I bet Sakurai will be pissed when they hastily release a new console in 3 years time. All that work for nothing. They'll probably port a load of Wii U games to whatever they do next to give them a second chance at making their development money back.

I don't see a new console launching anytime before mid 2017, so try closer to 4 years. A fairly standard amount of time for Nintendo.
---
..."go put on your favorite lingerie and streak in your public library while yelling about how sexy you'd look as a dolphin." - Ghasts
#8AhnoldDoodPosted 3/7/2014 7:58:00 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
Parents will think "I already have Mario Kart on my old Wii, I don't need to pay 300 for a new version of it" and bam! Casual sales gone

I bet you were the kind of twit who said the same thing towards MK7, MKW, and MKDS.
#9AhnoldDoodPosted 3/7/2014 8:01:37 AM
And "when"? OK, so TC's just high as hell right now.
#10Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 3/7/2014 8:18:42 AM
Kart will sell a lot of systems, but Smash is going to skyrocket the system far above the other two.
---
Smash 4 for Wii U!