Why do people single Nintendo out as rehashing games?

#1Sir_BadassPosted 3/8/2014 5:49:32 AM
Are they guilty of it? Yes. But it's hardly something unique to Nintendo. Lots of other studios are pumping out their 'main' franchises as fast as they can, ex. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy (seriously, 13-3. That's actually a thing.) Nintendo is only "worse" by virtue of their franchises being older and better known.
#2Dark_Link92Posted 3/8/2014 5:53:28 AM
Probably because they rely on them too much and never release new IPs. Plus, Assassin's Creed 3 and 4,as an example, we're far more different than NSMB 2, U, and Luigi.
---
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.
#3EoinPosted 3/8/2014 5:58:26 AM
If you haven't seen people calling Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Final Fantasy games rehashes, it's because you didn't look, even for 10 seconds.
#4king_maddenPosted 3/8/2014 6:04:22 AM
Because it's WiiU board and people like to make the locals upset.
#5ssjgohhkuPosted 3/8/2014 6:05:08 AM
Did you just say people never called the annual COD games rehashes? You must be new to the internet.
#6UltraPlanetPosted 3/8/2014 6:07:05 AM
If anything Nintendo gets singled out in the way that they get a free pass and are somehow the only company who is allowed to rehash their games.
#7IcedEarthaholicPosted 3/8/2014 6:20:09 AM
UltraPlanet posted...
If anything Nintendo gets singled out in the way that they get a free pass and are somehow the only company who is allowed to rehash their games.

Trust me when I say this, they don't get a free pass by a nautical mile. If anything, they get hammered pretty hard by haters. But rehashing is something every company does with an IP of their choice.
---
For all things Fatal Frame join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#8Hirokey123Posted 3/8/2014 6:46:04 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
Probably because they rely on them too much and never release new IPs.

Sigh that has never been right nor will it likely ever be right and it's such a false argument that should just vanish.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#9Project MayhemPosted 3/8/2014 6:55:32 AM
It's not about each individual company. It's the fact that Nintendo only relies on first party games where as the other two systems not only have first party games but also third party games that help broaden and give variety to the choices of games available for those systems.

When people complain about rehashing they're really just complaining about the lack of variety in games. Sure game play is the most important thing but gameplay plus other ingredients trumps gameplay any day of the week.
---
Your body are a bomb. Now... you die!
#10McDude_Posted 3/8/2014 6:58:58 AM(edited)
Probably because there are a lot of 3rd-parties to choose from but only one Nintendo.

If you're on a Nintendo platform with no support from anyone else, it becomes really apparent how much Mario you're playing. Whereas on other platforms, even if the only thing Activision ever put out was CoD, you could still go play Ubisoft's Assassins Creed or Capcom's Resident Evil or EA's Mass Effect.

Since Nintendo doesn't seem to give two turtle craps about what anyone else is doing or wants out of a console, they need to create that variety in their console's portfolio themselves, and they can do that by making less Mario and more Metroid and Star Fox and F-Zero.

EDIT: Think Project Mayhem is getting at the same thing, but I took too long to type this.