Why do people single Nintendo out as rehashing games?

#151Skatz95Posted 3/8/2014 4:09:38 PM
Nintendo keeps on bring out Mario and Zelda games. they keep milking their big money franchises and let the old one's that haven't had a reboot in more than a decade die off.
#152Ness0123456789Posted 3/8/2014 4:43:11 PM(edited)
Sir_Badass posted...
Are they guilty of it? Yes. But it's hardly something unique to Nintendo. Lots of other studios are pumping out their 'main' franchises as fast as they can, ex. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy (seriously, 13-3. That's actually a thing.) Nintendo is only "worse" by virtue of their franchises being older and better known.

Because with the exception of Call of Duty(and really, it's only the single player that doesn't innovate that much in that franchise), each of the games you've mentioned innovates on it's sequels. Lighting Returns is almost an entirely different game than XIII and XIII-2, and Assassin Creed 3 was vastly different than 1 and 2, and 4 felt like an entirely different series all together.

Meanwhile, you'd be hard pressed to spot the differences between the New Super Mario series and the Super Mario 3D games. And while I'm sure DKCR2 is a good game, compare how similar it is to the first, than compare how different DKC2 was to it's prequel, and how different DKC3 was to DKC2, and you can start to see the problems people have with Nintendo rehashing games.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#153GeminiX7Posted 3/8/2014 4:45:19 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
Sir_Badass posted...
Are they guilty of it? Yes. But it's hardly something unique to Nintendo. Lots of other studios are pumping out their 'main' franchises as fast as they can, ex. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy (seriously, 13-3. That's actually a thing.) Nintendo is only "worse" by virtue of their franchises being older and better known.

Because with the exception of Call of Duty, each fo the games you've mentioned innovates on it's sequels. Lighting Returns is almost an entirely different game than XIII and XIII-2, and Assassin Creed 3 was vastly different than 1 and 2, and 4 felt like an entirely different series all together.

Meanwhile, you'd be hard pressed to spot the differences between the New Super Mario series and the Super Mario 3D games. And while I'm sure DKCR2 is a good game, compare how similar it is to the first, than compare how different DKC2 was to it's prequel, and how different DKC3 was to DKC2, and you can start to see the problems people have with Nintendo rehashing games.

But dood! Everyone knows if you add a tanuki suit to a game, that makes it a COMPLETELY NEW AND INNOVATIVE GAME! What a fanboy. Comparing the changes made to AC4 to the addition of a golden Fire Flower. Go back to Call of Duty.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
#154HermeticJusticePosted 3/8/2014 4:50:20 PM
Because Nintendo is popular

If Dynasty Warriors was as popular franchise as Mario they would not be able to see the end of the rehash harresments
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#155MushroomMuncherPosted 3/8/2014 6:50:36 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
Sir_Badass posted...

Because with the exception of Call of Duty(and really, it's only the single player that doesn't innovate that much in that franchise), each of the games you've mentioned innovates on it's sequels. Lighting Returns is almost an entirely different game than XIII and XIII-2, and Assassin Creed 3 was vastly different than 1 and 2, and 4 felt like an entirely different series all together.

Why do people only cherry pick Nintendo's platformers to say they rehash?

Also how I'm the world was DKC2 and 3 similar to each other? They all had their nicks and knacks to distinguish each other.
---
I think bankruptcy might even be good for Sony.~ChA0TiCoNe
#156king_maddenPosted 3/8/2014 9:05:34 PM
MushroomMuncher posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
Sir_Badass posted...

Also how I'm the world was DKC2 and 3 similar to each other? They all had their nicks and knacks to distinguish each other.

should they comment on sony or MS games here? I mean the nintendo fans will be the first to mention other consoles, but when you're on a wiiu board, why is it a foreign concept to speak on nintendo/wiiu issues?

even if other companies do it, does that make it ok? does that mean you now have to overlook the fact that nintendo does it?
#157MushroomMuncherPosted 3/8/2014 9:45:09 PM
king_madden posted...
MushroomMuncher posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
Sir_Badass posted...

should they comment on sony or MS games here? I mean the nintendo fans will be the first to mention other consoles, but when you're on a wiiu board, why is it a foreign concept to speak on nintendo/wiiu issues?

even if other companies do it, does that make it ok? does that mean you now have to overlook the fact that nintendo does it?

Sir? Sir, I wasn't talking to you.
---
I think bankruptcy might even be good for Sony.~ChA0TiCoNe
#158Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/9/2014 1:54:01 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
cminc posted...
Also, less sarcastically, when people say 'new ip' they mean big budget games that are developed and pushed to matter over the longhaul of a systems life. Theyre not talking about a 4 dollar eshop game, minigame collections or drawing apps. Stop pretending to be stupid.

This, pretty much. They haven't had a new IP that they've made into a big budget franchise with a character recognisable enough to be up there with their others in years. Same old Mario, Link, and Samus.

How many franchises even started as a big budget production? I know Mario and Donkey Kong were originally little more than an attempt to refurbish a bunch of unsold arcade cabinets. The first Super Smash Bros. was just a little side-project that Masahiro Sakurai and Satoru Iwata worked on when they were still at HAL Laboratory. And Final Fantasy was originally going to be the swan song of the then fledgling Square.

Do you really expect Nintendo to make a new franchise with a huge AAA budget and expect it to magically become a massive hit overnight?
#159AceMosPosted 3/9/2014 3:39:05 AM
find it funny this has gone on this long even thoe ppl have lsited tons of new IPs they have made in recent years
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#160Dark_Link92Posted 3/9/2014 4:48:47 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
Dark_Link92 posted...
cminc posted...
Also, less sarcastically, when people say 'new ip' they mean big budget games that are developed and pushed to matter over the longhaul of a systems life. Theyre not talking about a 4 dollar eshop game, minigame collections or drawing apps. Stop pretending to be stupid.

This, pretty much. They haven't had a new IP that they've made into a big budget franchise with a character recognisable enough to be up there with their others in years. Same old Mario, Link, and Samus.

How many franchises even started as a big budget production? I know Mario and Donkey Kong were originally little more than an attempt to refurbish a bunch of unsold arcade cabinets. The first Super Smash Bros. was just a little side-project that Masahiro Sakurai and Satoru Iwata worked on when they were still at HAL Laboratory. And Final Fantasy was originally going to be the swan song of the then fledgling Square.

Do you really expect Nintendo to make a new franchise with a huge AAA budget and expect it to magically become a massive hit overnight?

No, I don't, but they barely develop anything that even has a chance because they're so busy with making constant Mario and Zelda. Where's a new, more Western oriented IP? They desperately need one. They don't push hard enough to get something established as a new IP. Take Kid Icarus Uprising- generally praised, very popular, sold pretty well, but will it get a sequel? No. Sakurai doesn't want to do it, and none of their other studios are ever going to.
---
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.