A few games using the Gamepad isn't enough

#1iKhan88Posted 3/10/2014 12:44:00 AM
While it's great that Iwata has taken an initiative to have a game that uses the Wii U in gameplay, and really shows what it can do, I don't think just that is enough.

If you look at the Wii's library, nearly every game used motion control in some way at least as an option. Did that sometimes have a negative impact on games? Sure, sometimes, but it got across a clear message that the Wii offered something that people hadn't experienced before.

If only half of the Wii U's library actually uses the Gamepad in gameplay, it's not exactly clear what makes the system "next gen" with new experiences with every game.

I think Platinum Games understands this very well. They don't always require the new hardware as a control scheme, but it's always an option. Such is the case with MadWorld, Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2.

I think Nintendo has missed the mark with this with the 3DS and Wii U, because they both encourage devs in part NOT to use the unique hardware in gameplay. Nintendo requires 3DS games to be playable in 2D so that young kids can play them. Off-TV play limits the potential of 2nd screen gameplay. I hope Iwata realizes this going forward.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#2Pop_SecretPosted 3/10/2014 12:48:34 AM
I only care about being able to play a game using the gamepad screen. i thought that was the intention for it.
#3Starwars4JPosted 3/10/2014 12:51:51 AM
iKhan88 posted...
I think Nintendo has missed the mark with this with the 3DS

Yeah man, the 3DS is finished :) haha
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#4AvirosbPosted 3/10/2014 12:55:26 AM
Pop_Secret posted...
I only care about being able to play a game using the gamepad screen. i thought that was the intention for it.

---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#5iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 12:55:30 AM
Pop_Secret posted...

If it was, that's a serious problem. Off-TV play adds nothing to games, so bundling it with the system rather than including it as an add-on is a complete and utter waste.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#6SlimeSwayzePosted 3/10/2014 1:02:31 AM
Off-TV play is the only benefit of the Wii U's Gamepad, and even that is a little underwhelming thanks to the poor resolution of the screen. But still, it's nice to be able to use the Gamepad to play games sometimes.

When it comes to actually playing games Gamepad features only make games worse, in my opinion. My taste in games leans to more immerse types of experiences. One of the reasons I love traditional controls is that I can truly forget I'm even holding a controller at times and just get sucked into the game world. The Gamepad goes out of its way to break that immersion. Making me regularly look back and forth between two different screens is annoying. Period.

I think the Gamepad was an incredibly stupid move from Nintendo. Not only does it add more to the price of the console than it is worth, but Nintendo themselves clearly didn't have enough good ideas about how to implement it to even justify its existence. Off-TV play is nice, but it would have made much more sense to just release the Gamepad as an accessory that provides that option, or just do it with the 3DS much like the Vita works with the PS4.

So in my opinion, it isn't a matter of too few games using the Gamepad not being enough, it's the fact that any games require it at all that is too much. I'm just grateful that most games allow for Pro Controller support.
---
Currently Playing: P3P, DKTF, and Tales of Xillia.
#7iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 1:21:14 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Off-TV play is the only benefit of the Wii U's Gamepad, and even that is a little underwhelming thanks to the poor resolution of the screen. But still, it's nice to be able to use the Gamepad to play games sometimes.

When it comes to actually playing games Gamepad features only make games worse, in my opinion. My taste in games leans to more immerse types of experiences. One of the reasons I love traditional controls is that I can truly forget I'm even holding a controller at times and just get sucked into the game world. The Gamepad goes out of its way to break that immersion. Making me regularly look back and forth between two different screens is annoying. Period.

I think the Gamepad was an incredibly stupid move from Nintendo. Not only does it add more to the price of the console than it is worth, but Nintendo themselves clearly didn't have enough good ideas about how to implement it to even justify its existence. Off-TV play is nice, but it would have made much more sense to just release the Gamepad as an accessory that provides that option, or just do it with the 3DS much like the Vita works with the PS4.

So in my opinion, it isn't a matter of too few games using the Gamepad not being enough, it's the fact that any games require it at all that is too much. I'm just grateful that most games allow for Pro Controller support.

You're welcome to not like the use of different control schemes, but from a sales perspective, once its marketed as the defining element of a console, it needs to see a lot of use. Otherwise you are trying to sell a system that is quite frankly previous gen. Now people might like the games, but part of what sells systems is continued use of what gives the system improvement over the previous. Hence why you don't see any 8-bit PS4 games at retail.
---
#8AvirosbPosted 3/10/2014 2:49:08 AM
iKhan88 posted...
Hence why you don't see any 8-bit PS4 games at retail.
Because people buy 'em digitally, right? ;)
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#9wombatkiddPosted 3/10/2014 5:41:08 AM
I own 15 retail Wii u games. Almost all of them use the gamepad for something other than off screen play. I think your 50% estimate is a tad off.
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#10iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 10:36:16 AM
Avirosb posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Hence why you don't see any 8-bit PS4 games at retail.
Because people buy 'em digitally, right? ;)

Indie games that don't sell systems. I'm sorry bit no matter how good Fez is, I wouldn't buy a new system to play it.
---