What's a Nintendo game with some real emotional impact?

#1Dark_Link92Posted 3/10/2014 10:36:16 AM
There are a few isolated moments in Nintendo games that have this, but I think they should do it much more than they do. For me personally, I found the whole thing with Rutela in TP pretty touching, but that was pretty much it for the whole game.

On the other hand, I just finished FFIX earlier today, and that was a non-stop feels trip all the way through. If Nintendo are going to insist on continually reusing the same characters, does anyone else think they should do a better job of making you care about them?
---
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.
#2YoyokuKOPosted 3/10/2014 10:43:20 AM
i rather have small doses of character development than being constantly tried to like a character.

not ffix, it was phenomenonal.
i mean someone like... Kratos Belmont.

they spent 3 games telling the story of Dracula, when the previous canon only took 1. same emotional drama, only stretched out for stupid cinematic reasons.
#3NovaLevossidaPosted 3/10/2014 10:47:14 AM(edited)
I don't think any Nintendo game I've ever played has had an emotional impact on me. Nothing like Lufia 2, Lost Odyssey, Lunar, Suikoden 2, or Red Dead Redemption. Without any sort of involved stories or really developed characters, I don't think I ever will with a Nintendo game. It's just not their style.

Edit: I forgot about the Mother series. Apart from that, that's all I've seen from Nintendo's end.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#4NickTheBlitzPosted 3/10/2014 10:46:22 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#5ghostofspartapPosted 3/10/2014 10:51:13 AM
definetily ocarina of time the first 3d zelda the music the story everything was perfect
---
wiiu-heroeoftime psn-P4R4NO14K
#6YoyokuKOPosted 3/10/2014 10:52:07 AM
^MM did it better.
#7fernantendoPosted 3/10/2014 10:53:03 AM
Most Nintendo games have no emotional impact of the kind you are talking about.

They are too focused on gameplay to try and give the player some emotion other than thrills (e.g. sliding down a sandy pyramid while dodging boulders), frustration (e.g. lack of skill/patience leading to above-average death counts), or just base happiness (e.g walking around a grassy field with upbeat music as a new adventure starts).

However, I can tell you when I've been moved when playing Nintendo games.
For example, the first couple of levels of the final world of DK:TF gave me chills/excitement/sadness, in a way few games have managed (mostly thanks to music, but also atmosphere and a feeling of "I've journeyed far to get here, time for the last stretch to get my home back!").

Also, Windwaker HD has some great moments. Link, like Donkey Kong, don't really talk, but they animate and express their emotions really well. In particular, a moment with a certain grandma, a return trip to a fortress, and the final sequence of the game are full (to me) of emotional impact, that really shows how Link grows, without uttering a word...

But yeah, you can find these moments in various older games, like Starfox 64, Metroid Prime 3, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, as well as a bunch of the main 3D Zelda games (nowhere to the amazing extent of FFIX, mind you). But don't look too hard some of the other recent games like Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, or Pikmin 3. They give feelings, sure, but I wouldn't say they have "emotional impact".
---
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us
#8TerotrousPosted 3/10/2014 10:53:18 AM
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sky.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#9MrPants3000Posted 3/10/2014 10:56:32 AM
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mother 3
Fire Emblem Awakening
---
Waluigi time
#10JobocanPosted 3/10/2014 10:57:52 AM
Fun leads to joy, which is an emotion. So... a lot of them.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection