I feel like 3D is a hindrance in platformers

#1Weltall548Posted 3/10/2014 7:01:17 PM
What it hinders is the platforming itself.

In linear 3D platformers, the 3D is only a slight hindrance. Some level designs in 2D games, and the fast paced platforming of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends would be difficult to make, or impossible.

It's worse in open 3D platformers. They must be designed with backtracking in mind. Things like chase sequences or crumbling platforms are impossible. The platforming is usually very light. They tend to focus on exploration over platforming, too. This is why games like Super Mario 64 feel more like adventure games than true platformers.
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 3/10/2014 7:04:29 PM
Eh. 3D platformers aren't for everyone. Regardless of how well 3D translates to the genre and people's opinion on that, there's just such an overwhelming number of 2D platformers that I welcome 3D platformers generally. 3D World wasn't what I was looking for in a 3D platformer, but it was a nice break from all the 2D games.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#3Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 7:33:32 PM
Another thing that doesn't work in open 3D is autoscrolling levels.
---
#4Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 7:56:40 PM
Ugh, my topic gets 1 reply, while troll topics get hundreds...
---
#5CloakedNinjaPosted 3/10/2014 8:02:09 PM
Games like Crash Bandicoot, the original Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, etc... would disagree
---
Over confidence is the greatest enemy. ~ Yoshimitsu
Everyone loves a hero. Everyone loves you. ~Viewtiful Joe Ending
#6GordatonPosted 3/10/2014 8:06:14 PM
CloakedNinja posted...
Games like Crash Bandicoot, the original Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, etc... would disagree

Again, those are more in the adventure style than platform style.

SMB 3D World I consider a "true" version of a 3D platformer.
#7iKhan88Posted 3/10/2014 8:06:51 PM
I agree, but I don't like pure platforming, so that's a good thing for me.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#8CloakedNinjaPosted 3/10/2014 8:12:05 PM
Gordaton posted...
CloakedNinja posted...

Again, those are more in the adventure style than platform style.

SMB 3D World I consider a "true" version of a 3D platformer.

If those games are adventure style then DKTF is adventure Style. The original Crash Bandicoot is pure platforming.
---
Over confidence is the greatest enemy. ~ Yoshimitsu
Everyone loves a hero. Everyone loves you. ~Viewtiful Joe Ending
#9manmousePosted 3/10/2014 8:21:24 PM
i definitely agree it's a major obstacle.

depth perception can never ever be as accurate for predicting jump arcs in the way that side view can, therefore 2D platformers can ask for much more accuracy out of players while 3D platformers generally have to make landing zones bigger and leave more room for error.

obstacles in linear 3D platformers and 2D platformers can be planned out with one approach and one departure in mind, therefore they can be much more extravagant and dangerous and demanding. whereas if you allow approach from every angle and departure from every angle, your options shrink.notice how in Mario 64, the areas with the real obstacles are in sections where your path gets limited to a direct walkway?
also, there's little motivation to make a player face an obstacle in a wide open 3D situation. if it's open, that means they can walk around the obstacle in question. and if everything can be bypassed, then it slowly becomes less and less of a platformer. if you put those obstacles in, you have to direct that part of the level to be linear and limited in order to force the player to confront it.

overall 3D is a very hard format for platforming design, and sometimes it works. but it only works well when it works against its more wide open rules.
you open things too much, and you get Zelda. which is great, but it's not a platformer. because with huge fields and wide forests, where do you need to jump? if you put a pit into a Zelda world, you could just, well, walk around the pit. and if you make it linear to guide you so that you have to confront the pit and hop over it, then it's no longer open world, but linear instead.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#10The_shoemakerPosted 3/10/2014 8:28:34 PM
Meh, I think the hybrid style of Mario 3D world shows that chase and scrolling levels do work. It's the depth perception that's tough sometimes.
---
Check out the amazing band "ESCAPE THE FATE" right here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Me9nPk5ro