I feel like 3D is a hindrance in platformers

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I feel like 3D is a hindrance in platformers
1 year ago#11
The_shoemaker posted...
Meh, I think the hybrid style of Mario 3D world shows that chase and scrolling levels do work. It's the depth perception that's tough sometimes.

Even then, good games are designed well enough to give you such a large and obvious shadow that you can track where you're landing from extremely long jumps by lining your shadow up on the spot where you want to land.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
1 year ago#12
NovaLevossida posted...
The_shoemaker posted...
Meh, I think the hybrid style of Mario 3D world shows that chase and scrolling levels do work. It's the depth perception that's tough sometimes.

Even then, good games are designed well enough to give you such a large and obvious shadow that you can track where you're landing from extremely long jumps by lining your shadow up on the spot where you want to land.

that is indeed the proper way to design it, but no matter how precise your landings are in a 3D setting, they're bound to be more accurate in a 2D platformer of comparative quality.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
1 year ago#13
Depends entirely on the style of the game. Mario 3D Land was ruined by the 3D, it made it slow, plodding and boring. Mario 64, Sunshine and the Galaxy duology were made by the 3D. It all depends on the application.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
1 year ago#14
Mirror's Edge disagrees.
---
psn: Stalemate666
1 year ago#15
Also, did anyone notice how 3D World and Galaxy praise almost never have anything to do with them being 3D? It's always the graphics, music, and creative level design that's being praised.
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
1 year ago#16
Weltall548 posted...
Also, did anyone notice how 3D World and Galaxy praise almost never have anything to do with them being 3D? It's always the graphics, music, and creative level design that's being praised.

Most of that level design couldn't exist in a 2D platformer. When limited to 2D space enemies, features and puzzles are restricted. For example you can't really have Bullies(3D World and 64) Conkdors(those bird things from 3D World) or those eyeballs that you have to run around in Super Mario 64 on a 2D plane(unless the Conkdor was in the background).

Also note that a 3D platformer can have levels or segments of levels that take place on a 2D plane and hence could feature seemingly any kind of level a 2D platformer could.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
1 year ago#17
A pure 3D Platformer is going to be linear in nature because Platformers tend to be very linear. But a 3D Platformer is usually very different from a 2D Platformer. 2D Platformers tend to be about speed runs and making it to the end of a level. 3D Platformers, historically, have been more about exploration and collectathoning. Mario 64 vs. Super Mario Bros. Donkey Kong 64 vs. DKC. Rayman 2 vs Raynman Legends.

If you have a game that is purely about platforming, but it's not linear, then it usually becomes an adventure game, but the same could be said for most non-linear games. When you take out the linear aspect of a game, it becomes about finding different paths; that means exploration, which means adventure.

So while a game like Super Mario 3D World is way more so a 3D Platformer than adventure, it is also a very linear game.
---
The problem with trolls is that you can't logic with them. The same goes for idiots.
1 year ago#18
Gordaton posted...
CloakedNinja posted...
Games like Crash Bandicoot, the original Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, etc... would disagree

Again, those are more in the adventure style than platform style.

Sly 1 isn't. It's basically a hallway game, though the way you can deal with obstacles is fairly open-ended because Sly has a lot of tricks.

Anyway, I agree that 3D Land / World represent a "purer" type of 3D platforming than something like Super Mario 64. Games like Ratchet and Clank definitely have some Action and Adventure elements. But 3D World shows that you can take concepts that work well in 2D and bring them to 3D if you're careful about how you do it.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
1 year ago#19
plasmatic5 posted...
Mario 64 vs. Super Mario Bros. Donkey Kong 64 vs. DKC. Rayman 2 vs Raynman Legends.

Rayman 2 is a bit different than those other 3D games. It had more linear design.
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
1 year ago#20
Are we suddenly forgeting the Super Mario Galaxy games?

Anyway, the best combo for 3D platformers is linear progression in diverging and converging paths backed up by an automatic camera. Games designed with this in mind don't need to be of lesser scope than those that allow the camera to be controllable, nor does linear design mean it should consist of corridors like most Sonic games.
---
What makes Sonic represent a large cast of well known characters?
The fact that without him you can't spell Icons.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I feel like 3D is a hindrance in platformers

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived