Japan sales: Wii U is beating PS4!

#121TerotrousPosted 3/12/2014 10:55:32 AM(edited)
Matelite posted...
Who's to say it WILL spread from Japan to the rest of the world though?

That depends on why you think consoles are dead in Japan.

According to everything I've seen, the fundamental problem seems to be that the high cost of HD development has driven most Japanese developers away from creating HD games, resulting in fewer games that appeal to Japanese gamers. The gamer demographic is also getting older, increasing the demand for handheld devices, which are more convenient for a busy lifestyle.

The US has been slightly shielded from this so far, because US has a bigger market and they were able to keep pace with the rising costs better, but now it's gotten so bad that even a lot of US devs are starting to have trouble breaking even. Soon enough they'll be forced to scale back their games too, and with it we'll see diminished interest in console systems.

Handhelds and PCs are also increasingly taking market share away from consoles, even in the US.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#122Bob_VancePosted 3/12/2014 10:57:16 AM
"Handhelds and PCs are also increasingly taking market share away from consoles, even in the US."

Lol, if you think the average person who buys a PS4 or Xbox is going to shift to a gaming dedicated PC you're nuts.
---
3DS FC: 3454-1540-6867
Pokemon X IGN: Adam
#123Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 3/12/2014 10:59:10 AM
PC has a horribly bland lineup on its' own.
---
Smash 4 for Wii U!
#124stargazer64Posted 3/12/2014 11:00:41 AM
I love how this Bob Vance guy keeps chiming in after every Terotrous post and everyone is completely ignoring him. It's pretty damn funny.
---
"[Mcnugget2256] you're weak sauce! A nugget dipped into WEAKSAUCE!" - OhGoodGrief
#12521_21Posted 3/12/2014 11:00:49 AM
TC is wrong. The WiiU is still selling poorly.
---
Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Bravely Default, and Muv-Luv
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!
#126Bob_VancePosted 3/12/2014 11:03:12 AM(edited)
stargazer64 posted...
I love how this Bob Vance guy keeps chiming in after every Terotrous post and everyone is completely ignoring him. It's pretty damn funny.

I know but I'm going to keep trying :D
---
3DS FC: 3454-1540-6867
Pokemon X IGN: Adam
#127yeti44(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 11:08:36 AM
God dam you people have poor reading comprehension. This topic:

A. Is comparing the FIRST THREE WEEKS of sales and

B. Is SPECIFICALLY ABOUT JAPAN.

Please read the damn OP before making an ass of yourself.
---
Nintendo stock 12,165
Sony stock 1,765
#128_The_Hitcher_Posted 3/12/2014 11:37:51 AM
Terotrous posted...
No, if I was counting only what I cared about, the number would be zero, not three. I'm counting big games that people actually talk about. What other games do you think are big? Stuff like Fez? It's been out on PC for ages. No one is going to buy PS4 for that.

No, I didn't count Fez. Even if I'm strict I still count 7. MGS, InFamous, FFXIV (I know it's not new, it's still significant), Watch_Dogs, MLB 14 (it's a big seller), Destiny, Batman, can you honestly say any of them aren't significant?

No, but I would like for systems to at least continue to get games in all of the genres that currently exist.

OK, and they do, so where's the problem?

Didn't you just claim that NES was basically all platformers?

And the point of the example was to illustrate that no matter how much variety you have within a single genre, it doesn't matter much to people who don't love that genre. If you only have a few genres on a system, unless people like all of those genres, there's a huge percentage of games that they won't be interested in.

No I didn't claim that, I said that the ratio of platformers to everything else then could easily exceed to ration to FPS to everything else now.

There's a good selection of games available on every established console in every genre. Just because shooters are the most popular doesn't mean they totally invalidate everything else. Oh and on the flip side, just because somebody likes one action game doesn't mean they'll like them all, someone who loves MGS could have Batman and vice versa, that difference still matters.

There isn't as much variety on the PS4 now but that's purely down to the fact that it's 4 months old, name a console that had something for everyone 4 months in.

We'll see. It's clear that the variety in gaming is getting less over time, so if a franchise has already been dead for a couple years, its chance of coming back the next year gets less and less.

That isn't clear at all and you haven't really made a case for it either.

If variety is the advantage that PS3 has over 360 (and I would agree that it is), obviously the influx of Japanese support helps a lot.

Well it helped, I never denied that, but that isn't what you said. You said that the PS3 picked up in sales primarily because of Japanese games.

You've somehow taken this way off point though. To get back to what started this, you said that the entire console market is going to collapse, and when challenged on this said that third parties weren't making games anybody wanted. Now this has turned into you bemoaning a perceived lack of variety because shooters are the dominant genre these day. Why is it the dominant genre? Because it's the most popular. Why is it the most popular? Because so many people like and want them.

So, in essence, your argument has been that third parties aren't making games people want because they're mainly making games most people want.
#129MatelitePosted 3/12/2014 11:39:01 AM
stargazer64 posted...

So much for ignoring...
---
HEH HEH HEH
#130art_of_the_killPosted 3/12/2014 11:52:59 AM
I actually said from the beginning that I believed that the Wii U would outsell the PS4 in Japan--but only in Japan.

However, I'm not sure what kind of victory this is for Nintendo fans, though. So the Wii U is beating the PS4 in Japan. Does that mean the Wii U will outsell the PS4 in every other region? LOL No.

However, I guess that for a console that is blatantly failing, even the small victories are still victories.
---
Assassin's Creed (yes, the first one) is one of my favorite games from Gen 7.