Wii U hardware sales between 159-308k for month of Feb 2014 NPD

#1wonderlessaPosted 3/13/2014 6:03:16 PM
If February 2013 numbers were 57k, then Wii U sold 159k over an 180% YoY increase according to Nintendo.

If it sold 80k, then it sold around 308k. I find that unlikely. Because NPD is so stingy with numbers we can only go by what info there is, accurate or not. Nintendo would brag about having the number one console if that was high. I will er on the side of 159k. Enough to brag of improvement, but not enough beat PS4 or X1.

Nintendo reports that both the Wii U and 3DS increased in sales over February of last year; the Wii U grew by 180% and the 3DS by 25%.

Nintendo attributes increased sales of the Wii U in the US to the success of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Nintendo's follow-up to their popular platformer Donkey Kong Country Returns sold 130,000 copies (including digital and physical sales), and it was the number four best-selling SKU for February.

The 3DS's continued strong performance was due in part to Bravely Default, which was the number two best-selling game SKU for February. Nintendo reports that the game "improved on the launch of Fire Emblem Awakening by more than 10 percent, selling more than 200,000 combined units in just over three weeks." And Pokemon X and Y continued to go strong with 130,000 more copies sold, bringing the game's lifetime sales total to 3.4 million in the US.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-s-wii-u-and-3ds-see-strong-february-sales-over-last-year/1100-6418305

Source for 80k
http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/14/february-npd-dead-space-3-takes-top-spot-crysis-3-cant-outpace-call-of-duty/
#2MilesTeg420Posted 3/13/2014 6:09:00 PM
Is Gamespot really that stupid? Nintendo press release specify the increase was software not hardware, yet here is Gamespot messing it up. A copy paste deal would have been better jeez.
#3wonderlessa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 6:12:00 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Is Gamespot really that stupid? Nintendo press release specify the increase was software not hardware, yet here is Gamespot messing it up. A copy paste deal would have been better jeez.

What makes you think they are wrong? I could not find any offical PR from Nintendo directly.
#4DoctorPiranha3Posted 3/13/2014 6:13:32 PM
Looks like Donkey Kong was a successful system seller after all. Eat it, Metroid fans.
#5TransdudePosted 3/13/2014 6:15:12 PM
wonderlessa posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

What makes you think they are wrong? I could not find any offical PR from Nintendo directly.

TC, it's possible it's just a double standard. Back when GameSpot did their review on Tropical Freeze, they gave it a low score and trolls were posting this everywhere. Now that Gamespot is giving positive news about the Wii U, they are no longer "reliable".
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | Origin ID, NNID, & Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#6wonderlessa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 6:16:00 PM
Gamespot is the only site that did not use neogaf as a reference for Nintendo PR. If anyone can find an official source from Nintendo I would very much appreciate it.
#7MilesTeg420Posted 3/13/2014 6:19:11 PM
"Strong new releases helped sales of Wii U software and Nintendo 3DS software in February increase by more than 180 percent and more than 25 percent, respectively, over the same month last year"

Thats what it should say. And lol at me being called a troll over pathetic reporting. Pathetic.
#8wonderlessa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 6:19:21 PM
Transdude posted...
wonderlessa posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

TC, it's possible it's just a double standard. Back when GameSpot did their review on Tropical Freeze, they gave it a low score and trolls were posting this everywhere. Now that Gamespot is giving positive news about the Wii U, they are no longer "reliable".

In that case, I am more inclined to believe Gamespot now.
#9wonderlessa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 6:20:57 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
"Strong new releases helped sales of Wii U software and Nintendo 3DS software in February increase by more than 180 percent and more than 25 percent, respectively, over the same month last year"

Thats what it should say. And lol at me being called a troll over pathetic reporting. Pathetic.

Based on what source? Again, the sources I found are referencing Neogaf.
#10TransdudePosted 3/13/2014 6:21:11 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...

Could you please provide a source then?
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | Origin ID, NNID, & Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996