Man, Wonderful 101 is criminally underrated

#11Yelnam-26Posted 3/16/2014 7:39:34 AM
Jobocan posted...
W101 is easily the best game on the system, it's sad that people didn't buy into it because of all the incompetent reviewers that were unable to play it properly and falsely reported on it.

I remember that. Game reviewers not being able to play a game. Lol.
---
Smoke me a kipper, Ill be back for breakfast.
3DS XL FC: 1005 - 8990 - 2929 Name: Yelnam
#12stargazer64Posted 3/16/2014 7:42:54 AM
How is it criminally underrated? It got good reviews, has a small but devoted following who thinks it's amazing, and it gets recommended all the time.

Niche, hardcore titles like this can't expect more than that.
---
"[Mcnugget2256] you're weak sauce! A nugget dipped into WEAKSAUCE!" - OhGoodGrief
#13Maverick_ReznorPosted 3/16/2014 7:58:46 AM
Yelnam-26 posted...
Jobocan posted...
W101 is easily the best game on the system, it's sad that people didn't buy into it because of all the incompetent reviewers that were unable to play it properly and falsely reported on it.

I remember that. Game reviewers not being able to play a game. Lol.

Yea, tons of game reviewers can't even play the simplest games. I hate watching video reviews.
---
Currently Playing : Titanfall, South Park:SoT and Darks Souls
Looking Forward To: Destiny, MK8, I:SS, ESO,and The Order 1886
#14RatheVPosted 3/16/2014 9:17:39 AM
I really didn't enjoy what I played of it. My brother just beat it last week, and loaned it to me.

It just feels frustrating and unresponsive. And I don't want to hear any 'lol u dun no how draw circle' because that's not the problem. The problem is, the game sometimes refuses to recognize basic things.

For instance, during one of the bullet-time sequences is an early level, you're supposed to jump from crumbling bridge pieces. And the game tells you that. And I'm sitting here, pressing the jump button... nothing happens. I die. Restart, and it works perfectly this time. Why? If there was any fault on my end the first time through, I still don't know what it was.

Or take, for instance, the next level, you're on the arm of this giant robot. You slash the 3 obvious weak points on it, and then the game wants you to wonder-liner bridge thing over to the other arm. So I draw a line over to it. Several times. Nothing happens. What I did discover, however, is that the robot's face flashes red when you hit it, and that his face only gets within hitting distance after defeating those 3 bubbles on his arm. So I spend a good 10 minutes or so hitting his face, only to give up, look up a guide, and find out I was supposed to cross over to the other arm the whole time.

As a minor but somewhat annoying sidenote, I still have no idea if you're supposed to be able to beat the Hoedown enemies without buying Unite Guts. I mean, I know you can beat them, but there seems to be no method of doing so that doesn't involve simply hacking at the shield for minutes until it breaks.

I really want to like this game, because it seems to be a work the developers put a lot of passion into, but its just caused me more frustration than joy. Does it get any better later?
#15adampeltzPosted 3/16/2014 9:49:07 AM
RatheV posted...
I really didn't enjoy what I played of it. My brother just beat it last week, and loaned it to me.

It just feels frustrating and unresponsive. And I don't want to hear any 'lol u dun no how draw circle' because that's not the problem. The problem is, the game sometimes refuses to recognize basic things.

For instance, during one of the bullet-time sequences is an early level, you're supposed to jump from crumbling bridge pieces. And the game tells you that. And I'm sitting here, pressing the jump button... nothing happens. I die. Restart, and it works perfectly this time. Why? If there was any fault on my end the first time through, I still don't know what it was.

Or take, for instance, the next level, you're on the arm of this giant robot. You slash the 3 obvious weak points on it, and then the game wants you to wonder-liner bridge thing over to the other arm. So I draw a line over to it. Several times. Nothing happens. What I did discover, however, is that the robot's face flashes red when you hit it, and that his face only gets within hitting distance after defeating those 3 bubbles on his arm. So I spend a good 10 minutes or so hitting his face, only to give up, look up a guide, and find out I was supposed to cross over to the other arm the whole time.

As a minor but somewhat annoying sidenote, I still have no idea if you're supposed to be able to beat the Hoedown enemies without buying Unite Guts. I mean, I know you can beat them, but there seems to be no method of doing so that doesn't involve simply hacking at the shield for minutes until it breaks.

I really want to like this game, because it seems to be a work the developers put a lot of passion into, but its just caused me more frustration than joy. Does it get any better later?

There's no need to rush the drawings. When you begin drawing the action slows down to nearly a pause. Take your time, and you'll see the game is far easier to control than people would have you believe. The gameplay of W101 is a lot slower than it looks.

Yes, this game is the best on the system.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691
#16TullyBlanchardPosted 3/16/2014 9:51:08 AM
Overrated
---
Follow Me! @Dagatassy - Nintendo Network ID: Dagatassy
#17Kromlech06Posted 3/16/2014 9:52:51 AM
Except for a few of the minigames toward the end of the game it's damn near perfect.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#18HambodiasPosted 3/16/2014 9:58:58 AM
HermeticJustice posted...
Hambodias posted...
I just finished playing through it for my 3rd time. I'm probably gonna play through it again but finally gonna go up to hard mode this time.

Side-note: it always upsets me when I play that it will probably never get a sequel. :(

Kamiya's games usually don't get sequels

Bayonetta is an exception since IIRC he isn't really working on the sequel

EDIT: He did RE and VJ as well, which are rare instances of sequels (and not much)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideki_Kamiya#Works

Lol It's more that the games he makes do get sequels but he isn't really all that involved in it.

That being said it doesn't change the fact that it upsets me that we will probably never get a Wonderful 102.
---
Dertbag Clothing
GT: Lord Hambo, NNID: Hambodias1
#19LaManoNeraIIPosted 3/16/2014 10:43:15 AM
It was released when the media was still high off all the "story-telling masterpieces" that "pushed the boundaries of video game art form". So when W101 actually required some skilled play from them, they dropped it and said it was "poorly designed".
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#20docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 9:32:25 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
It was released when the media was still high off all the "story-telling masterpieces" that "pushed the boundaries of video game art form". So when W101 actually required some skilled play from them, they dropped it and said it was "poorly designed".

you're kidding yourself. I thought the story was great in W101. I love that part with Immorta.
---
"Interactive movie = Video game" --- TheNewWave
Beyond: Two Souls is GOTY of 2013