The Quality of Life console

#1WereshovelPosted 3/17/2014 9:21:44 AM
Do you think it will have motion controls (possibly from battery-powered remotes), or perhaps a tablet with a touch screen? If not, is Nintendo preparing a new input experience for its fans?
---
"Graphics don't matter." - Nintendo
#2RS_YELARAKAPosted 3/17/2014 9:26:16 AM
Cares who? Just another gimmick to avoid bringing us games we actually want. Nintendo banking on moms to make money instead of actual gamers who are sitting here waiting for good titles.
---
GT - YELARAKA (Member of RS Squad) www.twitch.tv/yelaraka
Currently playing - BF4, PvZ:GW, TitanFall, PowerStarGolf
#3DrumguyPosted 3/17/2014 9:27:03 AM
RS_YELARAKA posted...
Cares who? Just another gimmick to avoid bringing us games we actually want. Nintendo banking on moms to make money instead of actual gamers who are sitting here waiting for good titles.

Why are you here?
---
The next person that says, "I know, right?" to me will be answered with, "No, you're wrong."
#4Tails555Posted 3/17/2014 9:55:48 AM
Importantly, Iwata stressed that Nintendo's quality of life platform will be separate from the company's dedicated video game business. This QOL-improving platform will "strive to further promote our existing strategy of expanding our user base, create an environment in which more people are conscious about their health, and in turn expand Nintendo's overall user base," Iwata said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-explains-why-it-wants-to-improve-your-quality-of-life/1100-6418059/
#5JackalPosted 3/17/2014 9:59:11 AM
Since they don't plan on using a wearable device like a Fitbit or Fuelband, that auto-links and updates then they will have to have a manual way to enter the info. Keyboard, virtual keyboard, WiiSpeak, Gamepad, etc
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#6MilesTeg420Posted 3/17/2014 10:05:02 AM
Jackal posted...
Since they don't plan on using a wearable device like a Fitbit or Fuelband, that auto-links and updates then they will have to have a manual way to enter the info. Keyboard, virtual keyboard, WiiSpeak, Gamepad, etc

We have no idea what the device is. Nintendo's slide shows them jumping from console over mobile and wearable (even implying VR or something in the slide? - guy is wearing some sort of headset).

We know that Nintendo is planning to use it's casual software to promote the device in some fashion.

Maybe Nintendo goes hologram haha. Exercise hologram to get you fit lol. You carry it around everywhere.
#7JackalPosted 3/17/2014 10:20:57 AM(edited)
They stated that it would be non-wearable, So it won't be on you to track info like other devices and then upload it later. So that means it will have to use another input.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2014/01/healthapproach.jpg
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#8Unown_201Posted 3/17/2014 10:49:19 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
We know that Nintendo is planning to use it's casual software to promote the device in some fashion.

Maybe Nintendo goes hologram haha. Exercise hologram to get you fit lol. You carry it around everywhere.

This is what I am thinking could be one possibility. Probably more of a room (think holodeck from Startrek) than something you carry, possibly something only available in sports centres due to size and cost etc.

See the topic http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/68667811

I will also post this bit here again, as I think it is the most interesting thing about QoL.

The slide at http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/img/37l.jpg says 'Leapfrog strategy'.

According to http://emilygreene.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/buzzword-alert-leapfrog-strategy/

Leapfrog Strategy means:

To surpass your competition, usually by engaging in one gigantic, ambitious, brilliant leap of genius that results in unprecedented growth, profit, and leadership position.

Also from that link it says:

To be successful, the challenger must have a unique and game-changing technology that is superior to that of all established competitors. Further, the challenger must have the product and process engineering capabilities to turn that technology into an appealing offering.

From this, I think it is something big, and based on some new technology they have developed that will revolutionary.
---
Should GameFAQs have an auto-track option? Would you like a board dedicated to discussing the future of gaming? Please show support on Site Suggestions board.
#9Auction SniperPosted 3/17/2014 12:31:43 PM
I get the feeling that it will be made from canaballized Wii U hardware, much in the same way that the Wii was built out of the Gamecube.
---
Unfortunately, there is no block functionality for the truth in real life, so you'd best be prepared for that. -AceAndJunpei
#10Unown_201Posted 3/17/2014 12:52:18 PM
Auction Sniper posted...
I get the feeling that it will be made from canaballized Wii U hardware, much in the same way that the Wii was built out of the Gamecube.

I don't think this is actually a console though, but something separate. They were using the term 'blue ocean' a lot, basically meaning to enter a new market that has never existed before.

Going back to 'Leapfrog strategy', it is apparently part of something know as 'marketing warfare'. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing_warfare_strategies

One interesting thing from that is:

It is argued that, in mature, low-growth markets, and when real GDP growth is negative or low, business operates as a zero-sum game. One personís gain is possible only at another personís expense. Success depends on battling competitors for market share.

This fits exactly with todays market, and gaming industry. Before Nintendo tried to grow by attracting customers who were not existing gamers. The Wii and DS were obvious examples of this, but now, due to the global economy and other things, the gaming industry can't continue to grow, so as it says, the existing companies are fighting for limited numbers of customers. This is probably why so many companies are struggling (all 3 console manufacturers are struggling to profit, plus many third party developers).

I think Nintendo knows this, so are trying something new, also from that wikipedia link:

From Sun Tzu they learned the tactical side of military strategy and specific tactical proscriptions. In regard to what business strategists call "first-mover advantage", Sun Tzu said: "Generally, he who occupies the field of battle first and awaits an enemy is at ease, he who comes later to the scene and rushes into the fight is weary."

Add it all together, I think Nintendo want to win this 'war' by being first to enter this new market...
---
Should GameFAQs have an auto-track option? Would you like a board dedicated to discussing the future of gaming? Please show support on Site Suggestions board.