Why is Mario stale now?

#1excalibur16Posted 3/26/2014 1:54:06 AM
Nintendo really seems to have lost creativity.
#2squatch22Posted 3/26/2014 1:56:42 AM
No creativity in topics like these
---
According to a certain troll I'm in possession of a time machine, as he claims he can prove I live with my mum... who died in 2002.
#3AvirosbPosted 3/26/2014 1:58:25 AM
I find everything and anything to be varying degrees of stale.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#4HiddenRoarPosted 3/26/2014 2:00:41 AM
What more can you expect from him. Nintendo basically did almost every genre with him.

Racing
Sports
Fighter (inb4 SSB is not a fighter)
Party Games
Platforming
RPG
Puzzle

Hell, it even has Educational (Mario is Missing, Yeah, I know, Luigi, but whatever)

The only thing is an FPS, Rhythm, Slice of Life, and whatever else (Someone else more knowledgeable can add to this)
#5Felix6464Posted 3/26/2014 2:42:32 AM
HiddenRoar posted...
What more can you expect from him. Nintendo basically did almost every genre with him.

Racing
Sports
Fighter (inb4 SSB is not a fighter)
Party Games
Platforming
RPG
Puzzle

Hell, it even has Educational (Mario is Missing, Yeah, I know, Luigi, but whatever)

The only thing is an FPS, Rhythm, Slice of Life, and whatever else (Someone else more knowledgeable can add to this)

I'm quite sure there's a Mario paintball somewhere in the works, and iirc, didn't Wario have some rhythm minigames in his games? Although I'm quite curious about how a "slice of life" Mario will play out... maybe they can do actual plumbing!
---
GameFAQS makes 9gag look intelligent and sane. 9gag!
#6CaiusIcePosted 3/26/2014 2:48:46 AM
Was there a mario stealth game?
---
3dsXL FC: 4527-8023-5878 NNID/Ps3/Vita/Ps4 Psn: Firerapier
Gt: KishinDroopy Steam ID: Riskid. I'd post my pc specs but I know nobody cares.
#7squatch22Posted 3/26/2014 2:53:38 AM
CaiusIce posted...
Was there a mario stealth game?

Mario Gear Solid
---
According to a certain troll I'm in possession of a time machine, as he claims he can prove I live with my mum... who died in 2002.
#8higgsboson1997Posted 3/26/2014 2:53:46 AM
He's not stale- NSMBU and SM3DW were close to the best in their respective series.
#9CubeTVPosted 3/26/2014 3:13:17 AM
I think it's because the haven't changed his image in a while (since 2006).

Back then (don't quote me on this, since I wasn't even born during the SMB1-World era. Was born in 1994), each Mario game was based around their main game counterpart but since each game had a different theme, it was different enough. I'm going to try to explain this as simple as possible.

Super Mario Bros., the simple, blocky game with no look for the characters. There were a few spin-offs at the time (Mario & Yoshi, Dr. Mario) but because Mario's look was inconsistent, his game looks looked inconsistent. The alternative SMB, was Super Mario Land, which only looked like SMB1, even then, it didn't have color (unless you played it on a GBC, GBA or GC), so it still looked different.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (The JPN one) was made as a simple "hard mode" based off winners of the first game which is why it looks (almost) the exact same with the exact same music.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (The USA/EU one) was based off another game, Doki Doki Panic which while it was it's own game (DDP), it brought it evolution to the Mario series. New enemies, new ways to kill things), new graphics which actually show more of the character and more things I don't feel like explaining..

Super Mario Bros. 3 also didn't have any spin-offs to go with it. So it was the only one of its kind. It too brought evolution to the series. More enemies, power ups, slopes (before this, all the past Mario games had just flat lines), a world map and more things I don't feel like explaining. Because of how unpopular the NES Mario spin-off's were (Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, Dr. Mario) those did not make it out of the NES era... For now...

Super Mario World... The new Mario of its time. Was the first Mario game to have spin-offs (and many to boot). Mario Types, Mario Missing, Mario Kart, Mario RPG and even a PAINTING simulator!. The game was apparently so popular, it had a counterpart: Super Mario Land 2. Due to the popularity of both, It seemed like Nintendo (in Japan) even made a game called Mario & Wario (the graphics of Mario World with Wario from Land 2). Because Mario finally had a standardized look, all of these looked like Mario World.

Quick note. I do not feel like going into the Mario sub-series (Wario, DK, Yoshi) teritory that will just make a big puzzle even a bigger puzzle than something I can even comprehend.

Now for the 3D era... Is kinda where it went so good, it became bad(?).

Super Mario 46. The newest Mario game that's finally in 3D. Due to how popular the Mario Kart and Mario RPG series was, those were the only Mario spin-offs to make it out of the SNES era in the forms of Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario. To fill in the gap for more spin-offs, Nintendo made Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf and Mario Tennis. All of course using the similar looks of Mario 64.

Since I'm running out of letters here, I'll just make this short. I also don't feel like explaining the other Mario spin-offs.

Mario Sunshine. All the Mario spin-offs took after it. Getting weirder and weirder (Mario soccer!?))

Nintendo saw the bad sales of the GC and tried to bring Mario back to the Mushroom Kingdom in the form of Super Mario 64 DS! It was great! People loved it. Then Nintendo tried to make a 2D Mario again... New Super Mario Bros. DS! It was so popular, sounded and looked like Mario 64 DS!

It looks like Nintendo found what style Mario truly is!

Then the Wii came. Nintendo tried to put Mario out of the Mushroom Kingdom again in Mario Galaxy 1/2, Mario Party 8 and Mario Strikers 2. People liked it. Because of the popular NSMB game, Nintendo made one for the Wii. It was a killer. So now Nintendo made more spin-offs like that.
#10CubeTVPosted 3/26/2014 3:13:26 AM
Because Nintendo found a theme for Mario, they are using it for everything. The two most original Mario games right now (3D Land and 3D World) are just the NSMB games in 3D if you look at it. Even the spin-offs. Also, shout-out to 3D World for pulling a Mario Sunshine which pulled a Mario Bros. 2 USA/EU: No Mushroom Kingdom in seight so it's full of originality.

tl;dr. Nintendo found Mario's main look. Everyone likes it so much and now Nintendo doesn't seem to want to go away from it.

I... need... a break from typing! Biggest post I ever typed... EVER!