Was Wii U supposed to be a full blown portable console?

#1NintyPower101Posted 3/27/2014 2:06:23 AM
I can't shake the feeling that it was always intended to be a portable, but they shoehorned it to be a full console because of the impending PS4 and Xbox One.

Is that way Nintendo seemed so unprepared for what's become a literal clusterf*** of 16 months?

After all, the Wii U sounds like it would be a portable "Wii" doesn't it?

I tried a Google search to see if there was anything to my reasoning, and I don't see anything, but that doesn't mean it's inherently false.

Your thoughts?
---
Don't shoot the messenger.
#2NintyPower101(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 2:08:46 AM
Whoops *why Nintendo in the second sentence. Not way. No idea what happened there. >_>
---
Don't kill the messenger.
#3ILoveYouPosted 3/27/2014 2:11:33 AM
i doubt it since the 3ds came out just before the wii u why would they be trying to release 2 hand helds at the same time literally makes no sense.
---
Insert witty anecdote here (_______________________)
Overhype, the silent video game killer
#4DreamSiamesePosted 3/27/2014 2:15:58 AM
Kinda hard to imagine even if the gamepad itself was the whole console. It's far to big to carry that thing around with you, I'd hardly consider that "portable".
#5EoinPosted 3/27/2014 2:28:15 AM
The Wii U was always intended to be a console. If they wanted to have made a powerful handheld for about US$350....they could have just done that - there was nothing stopping them.

The idea of shoehorning a handheld into a console is...just silly. When you design handheld hardware, it takes up a tiny amount of space and power. If you turned that into a console, it would not look like the Wii U. It would look more like the Wii or the slimmest PS2 model, or the smallest DVD player you've ever seen. We even have an example of a handheld crammed into a console to refer to: the Vita TV, a tiny machine that, with a DVD drive added, might be around as big as an old DiscMan - still a lot smaller than a Wii U.

The reason Nintendo seem so unprepared is that they made a lot of assumptions before releasing the Wii U that turned out to be wrong. It's not the sign of a company that has released a console that they never intended to release. It's the sign of a company that released exactly what they designed, and got very different results than they were expecting.
#6terrancejonesPosted 3/27/2014 2:40:01 AM
THere's a prototype photo of 2 wiimotes taped to a screen somewhere... if that's the real prototype that is... Sorry for the rumor/lack of citation... hahaha
---
If people want the Wii U Cheaper, and the cost of the White model is already the price of the 3DS XL, are they saying they want it the same price as a 3DS?
#7NintyPower101(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 7:57:32 AM
bump
#8stargazer64Posted 3/27/2014 8:08:20 AM
Eoin posted...
The idea of shoehorning a handheld into a console is...just silly.

Apparently the rest of the world agrees.
---
"[Mcnugget2256] you're weak sauce! A nugget dipped into WEAKSAUCE!" - OhGoodGrief
#9t41tGjrPosted 3/27/2014 8:28:33 AM
It sort of can be, but wasn't meant to be.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/wii_u_can_be_used_as_a_portable_home_console
---
GT and NNID: t41tgjr
Owner of an ambassador Zelda Edition 3DS and will not be upgrading. >:(
#10WereshovelPosted 3/27/2014 8:36:26 AM
Yes. It was obvious from the first reveal of the Wii U that it was just a tablet. The overclocked Wii console was added to it later, when ninty realized that two competing portable consoles was not a good idea.
---
its all about marlo and zelda