Not looking good for Animal Crossing on Wii U

#1MilesTeg420Posted 3/28/2014 6:43:48 PM
Seems like they aren't even currently working on a new game.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/28/5555682/animal-crossing-interview-new-console-version-smartphones

"The current gameplay style of Animal Crossing is best suited for a portable device, but if we were to create an Animal Crossing for a home console, I think we would really have to invent a new style that's suitable for the platform. The environment in which the player is playing the game is very important, so we need to think that through before we start creating something like that. We might not have been able to do that for Wii, but whether it's the Wii U or a future hardware, it's important to think about what environment the player will be in."

So if they aren't doing AC, what are they doing? Likely candidates:

Wii Sports
Wii Music 2
Nintendoland 2
Wii something or other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_Analysis_and_Development#Software_Development_Group_No._2
#2mhollan3Posted 3/28/2014 6:45:57 PM
Eh, we -just- got New Leaf, we'll get another AC sometime next year I imagine.

They're likely working on it in the Treehouse or something.

They know Nintendo isn't gonna go smartphone right now anyway, although AC on my tablet would be so boss.
---
I have a Wii U. WEEEEEEE
#3EasterEggHunterPosted 3/28/2014 6:46:20 PM
Good we dont need a copy paste ciry folk. Lets give them time to work on something else before they come back to yhis series with a different environment.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PoKWKqFE_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
This must be a show.
#4MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 6:47:15 PM
mhollan3 posted...

They know Nintendo isn't gonna go smartphone right now anyway, although AC on my tablet would be so boss.

Treehouse is simply localization. Not game development.
#5SSJ4CHRISPosted 3/28/2014 7:06:56 PM
mhollan3 posted...

Yeah, because "-just-" getting a game means you can't talk about a completely different version appearing on a completely different console? Wow, some of you so-called fans just don't understand business at all. Not talking about games is why Nintendo is having a hard time selling Wii U now.
---
The Internet allows us to make more mistakes faster than any invention in history. With the possible exceptions of Handguns and Tequila!
#6mhollan3Posted 3/28/2014 7:11:41 PM
I think they underestimated the market, myself.

I like my Wii U. But at the same time, Nintendo could've went further ahead with stuff like more online multiplayer, unified digital-based accounts (( Get another Wii U? Sign in to download yer junk! )), and the like. I don't care 'bout trophies none, nor super-fancy graphics (( Mass Effect 3 awes me )), so the Wii U felt natural.

It's good, but...

And that's an "oh" to the localization thing, thought they did original stuff.
---
I have a Wii U. WEEEEEEE
#7HayashiTakaraPosted 3/28/2014 7:11:42 PM
No where does the dev say anything about smartphones.
#8Shayla500Posted 3/28/2014 7:15:24 PM
Bullcrap. Animal Crossing always works best on consoles, not handhelds. Don't make the mistake Harvest Moon did.
---
Hau?
#9Marcster1994Posted 3/28/2014 7:20:57 PM
Shayla500 posted...
Bullcrap. Animal Crossing always works best on consoles, not handhelds. Don't make the mistake Harvest Moon did.

Animal Crossing is a pick-up-and-play game.

If they were gonna make a console version again, they would have to include more incentives to play for more than 30 minutes
---
3DS FC: 4725-7947-0440 ~ NNID: MarcsterS
PSN: Marcster1994 ~ Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Deviljhohoho
#10MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 7:23:58 PM
Shayla500 posted...

I agree to a certain extent. The series originated on home console after all. And what exactly does 3DS have that Wii U doesn't have? The Gamepad would be perfect for custom item creation, and the console being a home device, is basically always connected to the internet - unlike 3DS, which opens up quite a bit of opportunity.

I'm not really buying it. If Wii U were popular I think it's guaranteed it would get an AC game. And why did they create the Animal Crossing plaza on Wii U if no game is being made? Seems to me like they were planning on making it, but Wii U tanked and now it's not happening.

Maybe Nintendo has them making the QOL killer app. After all, they made Wii Sports, and Nintendo had them make Nintendoland, which was supposed to be the Wii Sports for Wii U : I