Will Mario Kart 8 be held back by the WiiU's hardware?

#1GloryChaosPosted 3/29/2014 9:28:12 AM
At the E3 Nintendo direct, the director of the game said that they were trying their best to get the game running at 60 fps online with several players, as opposed to how Mario Kart Wii ran at 30 fps once you went online.

However, do you think the developers will be able to stick to that goal? It's not exactly a deal breaker to me if they can't but racing games are one of the few where 60 fps is very important to the game. It would be pretty disappointing to see it unable to reach the goal the development team had for the game.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#2HighwayPilotPosted 3/29/2014 9:32:52 AM
If a game maxes out any console in SP, it's hard to keep it at the same framerate in MP without sacrificing graphics.
#3addictedtochaosPosted 3/29/2014 9:32:58 AM
No.
---
Always be yourself... unless you suck. - Joss Whedon
#4BaronVladzPosted 3/29/2014 9:34:19 AM
They'll be fine, I will just be disappointed if they don't allow 5 play local using the gamepad as its own screen
#5terrancejonesPosted 3/29/2014 9:34:47 AM
Have absolutely no idea what a 60 fps is supposed to look like, but if Kid Icarus, and that Sports remake's online says anything, it's a generalized "It works, it's okay, and hey, at least it's not laggy, and actually loads, as compared to Smash Bros Brawl."
---
If people want the Wii U Cheaper, and the cost of the White model is already the price of the 3DS XL, are they saying they want it the same price as a 3DS?
#6GloryChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 9:41:46 AM
I honestly do not know if Kid Icarus and Wii Sports HD run at 60 fps. But that's generally why a potential lack of 60 fps in this game wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.

BaronVladz posted...
They'll be fine, I will just be disappointed if they don't allow 5 play local using the gamepad as its own screen

Sonic All Stars was able to do this so I have no doubt that Mario Kart should be able to as well. The E3 experience demo did not, but I'll chalk that up to the game being a demo.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#7terrancejonesPosted 3/29/2014 9:48:54 AM(edited)
Yeah I know it's not a great example, but I haven't played the popular Monster Hunter series yet. With the free passes though, I've had loads of fun FLAILING a tennis racket to win matches. And well, it does look like the tennis racket is flailing hilariously enough to look like it's moving fast. In any case, it certainly looks a lot better than the old version, which I played for the Boxing.

And really, that sonic racing game is online? Hmmm... I should probably look into getting it then. I keep forgetting about those other games.

Edit: Whoops, misread. This was for 5 player racing... Still, I think I'd like to check this out for myself.
---
If people want the Wii U Cheaper, and the cost of the White model is already the price of the 3DS XL, are they saying they want it the same price as a 3DS?
#8IokuaPosted 3/29/2014 9:52:31 AM
No. If a developer cannot design within the technological confines of a system then they're the issue, not the technology.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#9ShiNoBinnPosted 3/29/2014 9:53:39 AM
MK8 will be fine
---
"Look upon me....do you see how pathetic you are!? Only a chosen few have the power to face me on this level!.."
#10SyCo_VeNoMPosted 3/29/2014 9:58:03 AM
I'm guessing he meant more so for local as the system has to render the screen for each player so that means more things happening on screen at once. I can not see this being an issue online as it has to render the same amount online or off.

I love how people act like 60FPS is needed. If they know how to use the effects properly to smooth the transition between frames you won't notice if it was 30 FPS. Its like how videos run at 23.9 FPS and look fluid.