For those that think generations are based on hardware and not time..,

#1ReachOutToTruthPosted 3/30/2014 6:21:41 AM
How do you define a full increment of a hardware generation?

After the 32-bit era, for instance, there was a huge difference between the new consoles. Ps2 was noticeably stronger than dreamcast, then GameCube was stronger than that, topping with the xbox. Yet despite the range if hardware strength they were all considered one gen.

So what's the benchmark for a new hardware gen? If the Wii U came out say, twice as strong as the PS4, would it be considered a later gen?

What about fractions of gen? What if a hardware has 9th gen gpu but an 8th gen CPU?
---
Since I'm not popular, I'll post on GameFAQs.
http://i.imgur.com/94p3Mvv.gif http://i.imgur.com/5fMYoER.gif http://i.imgur.com/bc4z4dP.gif
#2DrumguyPosted 3/30/2014 8:49:00 AM
You're looking into it too much. A gen is based on a company's offering, not hardware or time. Time is just used to estimate when one gen ended and another started.
---
The next person that replies to me with, "I know, right?" to me will be answered with, "No, you're wrong."
#3nouseravailablePosted 3/30/2014 9:03:01 AM
ReachOutToTruth posted...
So what's the benchmark for a new hardware gen? If the Wii U came out say, twice as strong as the PS4, would it be considered a later gen?

What about fractions of gen? What if a hardware has 9th gen gpu but an 8th gen CPU?

Trolls create new concepts (and deform old ones) all the time to make their trolling more trollish. There isnt an institution to regulate that kind of stuff so you might as well go with what you judge better.
---
NP: Im not sure...
3DS: 0619-3048-6154 (add me for friend safari)
#4SegavsCapcomPosted 3/30/2014 9:16:15 AM
Drumguy posted...
You're looking into it too much. A gen is based on a company's offering, not hardware or time. Time is just used to estimate when one gen ended and another started.

There is the problem of hardware revisions. Would the PS3 slim be a new generation or a part of the same as the fat PS3?
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#5SlimeSwayzePosted 3/30/2014 9:18:52 AM
It's the people who think that arbitrary definitions of "generation" matter at all that concern me the most.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls 2 and Infamous SS.
#6zado19Posted 3/30/2014 9:24:50 AM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Drumguy posted...

There is the problem of hardware revisions. Would the PS3 slim be a new generation or a part of the same as the fat PS3?

not really
i mean PS3 Slim is still a PS3
the black 360 is still a 360
and Wii mini is still a Wii
3DSXL is still a 3DS
a PC with new parts is still a PC
---
japan would set a record for most suicides in one day if she (Hanazawa Kana) had a sex scandal. Their blood would be on her ***** - 2Dover3D
#7Stanger5150Posted 3/30/2014 9:39:44 AM
TG-16 games barely outperformed the best looking Master System games, but it's still 4th gen. Every gen had a system noticeably less powerful than the competition (Atari 7800 is another great example) but only when the Wii came out did people start questioning it like it was a new thing. The NES was also quite a bit less powerful than the Master System, but nobody called the NES 2nd gen as a result.

The power difference between the Wii U and PS4 is no more apparent than the difference between the TG-16 and SNES, or the NES and 7800... it's just an issue now for some very stupid reasons.
---
PSN/NN- BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG-16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U
#8SlimeSwayzePosted 3/30/2014 9:43:44 AM
Stanger5150 posted...
Every gen had a system noticeably less powerful than the competition (Atari 7800 is another great example) but only when the Wii came out did people start questioning it like it was a new thing.

That sentence could not be further from the truth. People have always questioned it and discussed it. If anything, the question was removed entirely with the Wii because it was hands down the weakest piece of hardware compared to its contemporaries. There was nothing to question.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls 2, Infamous SS, and Zombi U.
#9Stanger5150Posted 3/30/2014 9:49:32 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
Every gen had a system noticeably less powerful than the competition (Atari 7800 is another great example) but only when the Wii came out did people start questioning it like it was a new thing.

That sentence could not be further from the truth. People have always questioned it and discussed it. If anything, the question was removed entirely with the Wii because it was hands down the weakest piece of hardware compared to its contemporaries. There was nothing to question.

I meant questioning whether or not it belonged to its console generation. The 7800 was just as underpowered as the Wii.
---
PSN/NN- BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG-16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U
#10supremeblasterPosted 3/30/2014 9:52:22 AM
Why wasn't 3DO part of Gen 6?