Why do people care about graphics?

#1mhollan3Posted 3/30/2014 11:07:57 AM
I'm really liking the Wii U. I don't understand why people are whining about "indie" titles and stuff, and graphics.

In my eyes, the Wii U is the best deal for me. The 360 has -nothing- I'm interested in, the PS4 only has Destiny and a few generics, and the Wii U has been out over a year now, and it's starting to get some pretty decent titles.

Those "indie" games is what is going to be tipping the bar soon. Stuff like Unepic, Knytt Underground, and the upcoming Shovel Knight are gonna blow the water out of the generic multi-system ports. And later? Wii U is getting some good-looking stuff like Bayonetta 2.

So. WOO. WII U!
---
I have a Wii U. WEEEEEEE
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 3/30/2014 11:10:46 AM
The indies aren't gonna do crap for the industry. They'll simply be there.
#3RetsuZaiZenPosted 3/30/2014 11:12:21 AM
Because if nobody cared about them we'd still be playing NES level games. They were good for their time but things have to evolve.
---
Why do nerdsalways get caught up on the details?
http://i.imgur.com/dntQM.gif http://i.imgur.com/9gNcUGM.gif http://i.imgur.com/bH8vq3f.jpg
#4GamerguymassPosted 3/30/2014 11:18:37 AM
RetsuZaiZen posted...
Because if nobody cared about them we'd still be playing NES level games. They were good for their time but things have to evolve.

And catering to the graphics whores is what put so many developers out of business this past generation. Yes a game should look like it's made for the system it's on, but every single game doesn't need to push the envelope. That is the biggest complaint about the Elder Scrolls series now. Bethesda just tries to chase the audience that goes "oooo shiny" and because of that they dumb their games down by making them smaller and taking out content. Not to mention the utter indifference to proper bug testing.
---
Now Playing: "The Hunt for the Two Missing Nintendo 64 Games"
An expansion came out, but I'm still a third of the way through!
#5DiscostewSMPosted 3/30/2014 11:20:11 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
The indies aren't gonna do crap for the industry. They'll simply be there.

They aren't going to put it in the crapper either.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#6mhollan3(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 11:21:20 AM
I just don't get it. Graphics are -insane- in both 7th and 8th gen. When a CELLPHONE can plop out 360-level stuff? (( Infinity Blade )) That means we've hit the apex.

I happen to be a bit biased though, I pretty much exclusively play retro titles and stuff. Right now though, I am -loving the hell out of- Mass Effect 3.
---
I have a Wii U. WEEEEEEE
#7SlimeSwayzePosted 3/30/2014 11:24:41 AM
Graphics are an integral component of gameplay, and more power means a lot more than just better graphics. People who can't understand that should just stop engaging on these forums.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls 2, Infamous SS, and Zombi U.
#8SS4_NamreppivPosted 3/30/2014 11:50:12 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Graphics are an integral component of gameplay, and more power means a lot more than just better graphics. People who can't understand that should just stop engaging on these forums.

I agree with this statement. Graphics are important, HOWEVER, they should not be the sole driving factor behind the game. If companies like Konami can create and actually sell games like MGS5:Ground Zeroes, which I have heard can be beaten in 10 minutes, then something is wrong. Games need graphics that suit their style. Games are meant to offer a variety. If companies blow their budget mainly on graphics, then the industry will fall. Look at how many studios closed during the PS360 era for an excellent example.
---
"I tried one of your dishes once. I truly believed a part of my soul died."~Dunban
#9Koi_TenchiPosted 3/30/2014 11:53:08 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
And yet all that power still hasn't let companies top games like Final Fantasy 7, so clearly power isn't everything.
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#10ILoveYouPosted 3/30/2014 11:57:28 AM
SS4_Namreppiv posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...

I agree with this statement. Graphics are important, HOWEVER, they should not be the sole driving factor behind the game. If companies like Konami can create and actually sell games like MGS5:Ground Zeroes, which I have heard can be beaten in 10 minutes, then something is wrong. Games need graphics that suit their style. Games are meant to offer a variety. If companies blow their budget mainly on graphics, then the industry will fall. Look at how many studios closed during the PS360 era for an excellent example.

i dunno man i still enjoy me some earth bound. i have a gaming pc and all i been playing on it is indies lately and earthbound on my wii u. i like diablo and stuff but those graphics arent mind blowing either. the graphics are just a small part of it. i play more neo geo and arcade shmups and 2d fighters than anything, its about the skill it takes to play and the fun you have playing that game not about how many pixels or bumpmaps or whatever are on the screen. a game can have great graphics and still be boring as heck *coughassasinscreedcodunchartedcough*
---
Insert witty anecdote here (_______________________)
Overhype, the silent video game killer