Why do people care about graphics?

#81SuigintouEVPosted 3/30/2014 7:44:57 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
That's still only two genres at best. How is the increased power of the PS4 going to decisively improve gameplay of turn-based RPGs?

Well, if it really does have easier development, then there's some clear benefits there. I have to imagine a lot of games were compromised or didn't get made last gen just because of the PS3's difficult development.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#82Stefan1277Posted 3/30/2014 7:52:17 PM
The majority will always go for what looks best, and it's kind of a rule of life.

The majority votes for the hot girl with a model body, not the nice one with a homely look.

They pick the food that looks the best and not the mess that looks like it has been digested already even though it tastes glorious.

They pick graphics over content because graphics are instant satisfaction; You look, you enjoy, you don't work for it.
---
Gamefaqs users in one article:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-behaviors-modern-world-only-making-worse/
#83NSGraphitePosted 3/30/2014 8:03:19 PM
Megamushroom666 posted...
Really? The 360 has nothing you're interested in? That's a huge software library and nothing interests you? Hard to believe.

No kidding. i'm one of the biggest anti~xbox trolls and a huge sony pony and even i could easily find a few games on the 360 i'm interested in (vesperia, lost oddyssey, magna carta 2, last remnant). The only way i could see there being nothing on the 360 that interested you is if you exclusively like nintendo first party tittles and nothing else.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#84Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/30/2014 8:34:46 PM
stalemate_666 posted...
Emerald_Melios posted...
That's why I'm very incredulous at the emphasis placed on the difference in specs between PS3, Wii U, and PS4. And the only examples of improved gameplay are very situational enhancements to the open-world sandbox and shooter games. That's still only two genres at best. How is the increased power of the PS4 going to decisively improve gameplay of turn-based RPGs? Strategy games? Fighting games? Platformers?

Platformers are easy, more fluid better framerate, more items/enemies/objects on screen, enviroments bigger/more interactive ect.

Fighting games I'll be honest you have me stumped

Strategy games are you kidding me, they are usually AI have and often have you controlling armies so AI more enemies on screen, environments that actually effect your guys/enemy in various ways, smoother gameplay ect. a civ game is the only pc I know that takes advantage of pc processing power over consoles ffs.

turnbased rpgs is a tricky one, the main problem with this one is mainly that well developers don't know what type of style they want to make more then anything but speaking purely theoretical remove random encounters by randomly generating monsters on the screen in every single environment and having the turn based combat happen in that environment without compromising the turn based combat.

Honestly this is what developers have been trying to do all this gen but have been failing and ending up with a crappy action/turn based hybrid, maybe more power is needed to accomplish that vision.

Improved performance in platformers, perhaps. But there's only so much more detail you can meaningfully add to a game before it would be a deteriment.

There probably isn't anything more tech can really improve to fighting and turn-based RPGs aside from cosmetics. And perhaps fighting and turn-based games don't really need to evolve. But, as I said before, the true problem is not stagnation but regression of gameplay quality. No amount of graphical improvements offered by HD consoles will justify a more shallow gameplay experience.
#85ReachOutToTruthPosted 3/30/2014 9:18:16 PM
Current gen? I can understand thinking the wii u is the best deal ATM.

But including 360 and PS3? Liking the Wii U better is fine, but if you honestly l see NOTHING that interests you out of the thousands if games available, I question your taste lol.

Live and let live, though. Have fun.
---
Since I'm not popular, I'll post on GameFAQs.
http://i.imgur.com/94p3Mvv.gif http://i.imgur.com/5fMYoER.gif http://i.imgur.com/bc4z4dP.gif
#86LightHawKnightPosted 3/30/2014 9:38:40 PM
Graphics whores thats why. It is really sad that so many developers died cause of them. Graphics is basically useless as long as it is beyond stick figures.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#87arvilinoPosted 3/31/2014 1:51:59 AM
CelesColeVI posted...
If no one cared about graphics, then we may as well still be in the SNES era. Graphics matter if hardware is going to get better. WiiU is weak in this area, but it's not THAT far off. I'm sure next time they will get it right, Nintendo that is.

That wouldn't be true Nintendo for example would have still wanted to make Mario 64 and could not on a SNES(or a PS1 for that matter). The N64 would have been made and the graphics would have been improved despite whether people cared. Same with the Gamecube and Pikmin.

It's just now the graphics have taken center stage, the consoles have improved for the sake of them and it's arguably at the detriment of the rest of the game(how many patches do we see now for supposedly great games) while introducing an extremely expensive competition for the attention of the audience.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#88KCJ5062Posted 3/31/2014 4:33:48 AM
MithrilMonarch posted...
Graphics to me are a bonus. I won't give a game a 1/10 because of bad graphics, but something nice to look at is always good.

Ditto. If the graphics aren't the best, then it's not an automatic dealbreaker for me. I'd much rather play a good game with bad/sub-par graphics than a bad game with good graphics. Games such as FF7/FF8, Resident Evil 2, and Goldeneye, even with their outdated graphics, they're still pretty good games.

I remember before Zelda Wind Waker came out, it was lauded as the worst Zelda game because it had more cartoony graphics, rather than the more "realistic" graphics the previous games had. While there are still some people that don't care about the graphics, people played it and found out it was just as good(if not better) than it's predecessors.
#89DarkAdonis123Posted 3/31/2014 4:36:33 AM
When you pay $400-$500 for machines that are hyped as being "next gen", why wouldn't you be concerned about graphics? You want to see what you paid for. If graphics don't mater to you, then stick to the vast library of NES games.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#90mcsmellingtonPosted 3/31/2014 4:36:39 AM
Graphics are the best thing about video games. Without graphics, there'd be no point in playing.
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington