Dragon Quest X Sells 1 Million Copies

#1CranberryPSOPosted 3/30/2014 3:00:06 PM
http://gamingbolt.com/dragon-quest-x-sells-1-million-copies

Square Enix sure like to take chances with their established brands, don’t they? After making mainline, numbered entries in the Final Fantasy series (XI and XIV/XIV: A Realm Reborn respectively) MMORPGs, they also decided to make Dragon Quest X, the newest title in a series traditionally highly conservative in its adherence to JRPG design principles, an MMO.

The move seems to have paid off for them- the game, which has released only in Japan, exclusively on Wii and Wii U (also known as a platform that doesn’t move online software and a platform that doesn’t move software period) has sold a million copies already. This is before the PC version has even released.

The game still does not have a western release announced, though the existence of the PC version makes it slightly more likely that it will eventually come over; in the meanwhile, Japan is almost certainly gearing up for a new numbered Dragon Quest game now. Maybe on that 3DS…

What I find especially interesting, is that this article claims it did this on the Wii and WiiU alone. Nintendo isn't known for being a MMORPG platform, so that's quite a feat for the Wii and WiiU and hopefully sends a message that a Nintendo platform can work for online games.

The wording of the PC version in this article is awkward. "This is before the PC version has even released." The PC version has been out for a few months now. I assume he meant to say "This was even before the PC version was released."

There's unfortunately still no announcement of a localized version, but hopefully its success in Japan encourages Square-Enix to bring it here. Given the WiiU's game drought, DQX could be quite a big release for it.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#2SegavsCapcomPosted 3/30/2014 3:04:30 PM
Good to know. Maybe they'll localize it or VII on the 3DS.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#3GamerguymassPosted 3/30/2014 3:15:50 PM
Is there a breakdown for the sales between consoles? While it selling a million copies is awesome it doesn't help Nintendo a whole lot going forward if most of them are on the Wii. Isn't Dragon Quest also normally one of those "only in Japan" games that really only do well in Japan? The Japanese like different types of games then Americans and Europeans like so success over there doesn't always equal success over here.
---
Now Playing: "The Hunt for the Two Missing Nintendo 64 Games"
An expansion came out, but I'm still a third of the way through!
#4CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 3:51:55 PM(edited)
Recently, Dragon Quest has done pretty well in the west. Dragon Quest 9 for example:

As of the ending of Nintendo's fiscal year 2010, Dragon Quest IX sold 1.02 million copies in the United States and Europe.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/27/heres-how-much-dragon-quest-ix-sold-overseas/

The game does indeed have its largest following in Japan, but the overseas numbers should not be underestimated. Dragon Quest does have a pretty respectable fan following even in the west. 8 and 9 both helped make the series larger outside of Japan than it had before, and so many of the games coming to the DS gave the series a lot of exposure.

Last I heard, most people are on the Wii version. There is a chart that broke down a lot of the game statics like the percentages playing what classes and I think what percentages were on what versions too. This data is some months old and is buried pretty deep in the archives now for the main site. Here's the link if you want to search for it:

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/
---
#5mhollan3Posted 3/30/2014 5:09:36 PM
Now if only that meant an overseas localization. I'd honestly play it on the Wii U. :|
---
I have a Wii U. WEEEEEEE
#6AkaneJonesPosted 3/30/2014 6:53:33 PM
CranberryPSO posted...
Last I heard, most people are on the Wii version. There is a chart that broke down a lot of the game statics like the percentages playing what classes and I think what percentages were on what versions too. This data is some months old and is buried pretty deep in the archives now for the main site.

If that were true one question comes to mind, is that going to be effected by the Wii Wifi Connect shut down in May? I'd imagine it still has to connect through the system to get to Square Enix's pay servers. That could generate more sales of the WiiU version right there.
#7CranberryPSO(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 6:57:16 PM
No, it won't be affected. It does not use the WiiWare service. Dragon Quest X has it's own infrastructure. Dragon Quest X will be the only Wii game to remain online after the shutdown of Nintendo WiFi.
---
#8distr0iaPosted 3/30/2014 8:09:46 PM
I'm still not too interested in DQ X, but I guess it's good news.

Maybe DQ XI for the 3DS can be not an MMO. I'd personally like that.
#9QuestionmarktariusPosted 3/31/2014 2:19:14 PM
A million is actually pretty bad for DQ
http://dragon-quest.org/dqde/wiki/index.php?title=Worldwide_Dragon_Quest_Sales
#10Ness0123456789Posted 3/31/2014 2:33:50 PM
Why.Is.It.Not.Here.Yet!?

Seriously, replaying FFXI again has only made me want DQX even more. Hopefully SE will consider porting it over since they're still doing more cross over events in FFXI, and they did have that little article of wanting to appeal to the core game more after Bravely Default's success.

Still, I'm not holding my breath at this rate.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI