Nintendo style games vs Cinematic games

#1HeroC114Posted 4/8/2014 8:53:05 AM
This may all be subjective but I have this inkling that there is something to it. Let's discuss.

I've been playing both Dark Souls 2 on my 360, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on the Wii U.

Both games are difficult, and both have somewhat of a learning curve. One is an RPG with strong action elements, and the other is an action game with light RPG elements.

Why does one game (Dark Souls 2) feel like there is a meaning behind it, while Ninja Gaiden 3 feels just as fun in a different way, but each battle feels very similar.

It may have to do with pacing, but for people who understand and have played both games(Or Demon's Souls vs Ninja Gaiden on Xbox), why does one feel more of a filling experience over the other, and am I the only one who feels this way?

I feel Dark Souls 2 has some deeper purpose, in building me up through my emotions, through what I experience, while Ninja Gaiden 3 feels sometimes difficult just to say "**** you!" to the gamer, but for the most part lets you cruise through the normal enemy fodder.

I also feel DS2 is very much in line with Nintendo's original game design with putting gameplay at the front, and making story and other things optional or nearly non-existant(Metroid Prime 1 is a fantastic example).
---
Xbox Live GT: Hero C
NNID: HeroC114
#2toadfan64Posted 4/10/2014 11:38:24 PM
I watch movies a lot more than I play games these dats. When I play a game now, I don't want it like a movie since I see enough of that, but like what Nintendo does. Few cutscenes, focus on gameplay, and many other things.

This is kinda why I play few games not on Nintendo consoles these days.
---
Brawl FC - 5412-9555-6314
Also known as Toadfan64
#3Granadico_Posted 4/10/2014 11:48:54 PM
You kinda picked the wrong game for a cinematic type of game. The most prominent example that seems to be discussed is TLOU
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) and M&L:DT (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#4HermeticJusticePosted 4/11/2014 12:09:39 AM
Granadico_ posted...
You kinda picked the wrong game for a cinematic type of game. The most prominent example that seems to be discussed is TLOU

spelled Beyond Two Souls wrong

even MGS4 is a better choice
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#5Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/14/2014 3:36:53 PM
Granadico_ posted...

It's too realistic for its own good.
#6crucialPosted 4/17/2014 3:36:13 PM
Problem is 360 has every genre covered,yes Wii U has better platformers but 360 has quit a few platforming games among a 3rd party line up that will bring you to your knees with games being released at a rate only seen on PS2,without 3rd party support you can not sell consoles,unless you go super casual like with Wii.
#7WildsparkPosted 4/17/2014 3:38:20 PM
I like both.
---
3ds XL is the best thing since Christmas