"Third parties don't release for Nintendo consoles because they can't compete.."

#41PrincessTsukiPosted 4/11/2014 10:12:36 PM
*points to the 3DS*

This is not an excuse.
#42ssjgohhkuPosted 4/12/2014 5:35:17 AM
Third party games are low quality compared to AAA Nintendo first party masterpieces which all become instant classics and are considered the best games of all time.
#43Mobius1RisingPosted 4/12/2014 5:38:23 AM
ssjgohhku posted...
Third party games are low quality compared to AAA Nintendo first party masterpieces which all become instant classics and are considered the best games of all time.

I don't know about best of all time,but yhey are damm near close.
---
My favourite games are Okami.Hyperdimension Neptunia and Senran Kagura Burst.My favourite female characters are Ammy.Femshep.Lei Fang.Samus.Yuna,& T-elos.
#44Yelnam-26Posted 4/12/2014 6:26:04 AM
AstralFrost posted...
RogueStatus28 posted...
Coming off that Smash Bros direct and last week's Mario Kart 8 trailer… These look like the best games I've seen, ever.

All I can say is you obviously haven't played many games.

Do you even play games? Your always on gamesfaqs wii u boards.
---
Smoke me a kipper, Ill be back for breakfast.
3DS XL FC: 1005 - 8990 - 2929 Name: Yelnam
#45Neo_HeartlessPosted 4/12/2014 6:44:08 AM
That Third party games can't compete with Nintendo games is only half the story.

Since Nintendo make their own games, who are the ones most likely to buy their consoles? Nintendo fans of course. In the same way that games like CoD sell because they are popular and culturally ingrained at this point, so to do Nintendo games sell because they are popular and culturally ingrained. This means that Nintendo's own games sell well, usually to the apparent detriment of others.

However I do believe it is unfair to accuse Nintendo fans of not buying third party games. Like what people say here, you can't clump one group of people together and call them a Hivemind. People go with Nintendo because they know the brand, but their choice of other games could be wide and diverse. Not everyone likes modern military shooters, or stealth games, or sports simulations. However you'll never hear anyone suggest that CoD fans don't buy third party games, so why is there this double standard?

The answer is, of course, numerical difference. If you look at the attach rate (the % of the install base that buys the game) of third party games that have sold over the PS3, 360 and WiiU, you'll notice that they tend to be strikingly similar. However with such a massive difference in install bases, a similar attach rate causes a huge discrepancy in sales numbers. After all, if a game only sells to 2% of the install base on the 360, it's still selling 1.6 million copies assuming 80 million, but if it only sells to 2% of the WiiU's 5 million (at the time this all kicked off) install base, it's only selling 100k copies.

Why is this though? Well looking over the sales of games, you start to see trends. Some games sell more on one console than another yes, but newer series games tend to be more evenly split, especially with the PS3 and 360 with their very similar install bases. From this, one can conclude that people are buying those consoles for specific franchises and then sticking around to play other games. People bought the 360 for Halo and eventually CoD. People bought the PS3 as a continuation to the PS2 which had well established itself. Look at the sales of early games on those consoles though, and you'll see anything that isn't a well advertised big name game sells pretty poorly. Hell, even games released in 2010 onwards can and have sold pretty poorly.

The argument that Nintendo fans don't buy third party games is unfair, because it expects a group of people who like a particular company to have to buy games they may not even like, and they expect them to do so at a rate higher than any other install base. It is unfeasible. It won't happen unless the sales of the WiiU are able to pick up, but they won't pick up if there's no games released on it, because it's not Nintendo fans third parties have to court, it's everyone else, but they don't need to do that, because they already HAVE everyone else, on other consoles.

So why am I saying all this? Certainly the end result remains the same, there just isn't the sales numbers to sustain it right now. There isn't the sales numbers to sustain ANY of the new consoles right now. The PS4 has yet to have another million seller after its launch flurry, although inFamous may do that soon, but even so, how much would that have cost to make? To advertise? 1 million sales aren't enough, and if a 1st party games gets that much, how will third party games fare?

And yet, they'll make the effort for that and not the WiiU, because they know that, given time, the fans they've made on Sony's consoles will eventually migrate. But they've made very few fans on Nintendo consoles through lack of effort, and they see no need to try now.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#46Neo_HeartlessPosted 4/12/2014 6:45:04 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#47TomoEK9Posted 4/12/2014 6:57:01 AM
demesjos2 posted...
Nintendo still charges more for royalties than Sony or MS. That is still mistreating third parties. Charge them more to sell barely any units. They wonder why most of the third parties abandoned the Wii-U

Where did you get this from?

I am actually curious because if its true, its merely evidence that Nintendo is stuck in the 80s and think they can muscle around devs since they are the only game in town.

As for the main topic, I think its crazy to think that. Companies don't have to compete directly with Nintendo games for sales to make a profit. There are reasons they aren't releasing on the Wii U but Nintendo's first party titles is not one of them.
#48AstralFrost(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 10:36:15 PM
Since nobody has been able to offer any proof regarding this ludicrous claim I'm going to say its summarily dismissed. If this ever comes up in the future please link this topic since its quite clear that this claim is bogus.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#49lazer_licePosted 4/12/2014 11:08:39 PM
stalemate_666 posted...
caffeinepirate posted...
What? Who believes that?

Third party devs don't release much for Nintendo because

1) Nintendo has historically treated them poorly

2) Nintendo systems tend to be very difficult to develop for

3) Nintendo doesn't have robust online support, so people won't buy third party games for Nintendo systems if they don't have a huge online community of people to play with.

4) Nintendo's systems have been underpowered to the point where newer games like Batman can't even run well on them. And consumers don't want watered down versions of their third party game when they can get the complete version on PS or XB.

5) The few games third party's have released on wiiU have not sold well

6) The install base is so small on the wiiU and the fact it is seen as a secondary console means that a significant percentage of people who bought it on wiiU would've bought it on another system anyways so the developer is just essentially wasting time.

7) They don't want to use the tablet controller for anything or be yelled it for not using it for something super unique despite fact Nintendo themselves haven't... (honestly that thing is only good for off tv play)

8) Please Understand.
#50ElectricMolePosted 4/12/2014 11:15:40 PM
3rd parties can easily compete and sell well on a Nintendo system. It's happening right now on 3ds. so much 3rd party games.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188